Saskatoon Jam

GardenForums.com a friendly and growing community of gardeners. We feature a Garden Discussion Forum and Garden Photo Gallery. It's a fun and friendly place to talk with other gardeners, ask questions, share you knowledge, view and post photos and more! Whether you're a master gardener, or brand new to the hobby, you'll find something of interest here.

kinnika

Finally got my first batch of Saskatoon Jam made and it is sooo good. With all the rain we have had this year the berries are nice and big.

RonsGarden

Super Moderator
Staff member
Serviceberry, Saskatoonberry, Juneberry, Sarvisberry
They grow on small trees, all along the farm lines, at least around here!
They are the first native fruit trees to blooming the early spring!
Latin name: Amelanchier alnifolia, A. laevis, A. arborea
Various species: Allegheny Serviceberry, Downy Serviceberry.....
They are easy to grow from seed and bloom and bear fruit within 3 years.
Average height 10' to 15', usually a large bush to a small tree. They are not fussy as to soil type!
They all have wonderful fall color when the leaves change!

Randy

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dang! There really is a Saskatoon? Here I thought it was a city in one of the provinces and I was just smarting off.

RonsGarden

Super Moderator
Staff member
Yes, there really is a Saskatoon! It is the name of a city as well as the province!
They grow the berries comercially and have been doing some breeding to improve the taste and size of the berries!

Randy

Super Moderator
Staff member
Son of a gun! Learn something new every day. I picked 24 pounds of berries today. I washed them all and crushed those that will be used in jamming, but left the ones whole that will be used in pies. A friend of mine, the wife of one of my farmer friends, made a cobbler a couple of years back using half blueberries and half Marionberries, a variety of blackberry. It made an awesome cobbler and I have made several like that since that time. They always seem to be a hit wherever I take them. I made up three plastic ice cream buckets with the appropriate amounts of Blueberries and Obsidian Blackberries so they are already pre-weighed and all. They are in the freezer now until I need them. I will need one of them in just a couple of weeks for a potluck.

gonepostal

Yum----this sounds good! Have never heard of this kind of berry!
Just got done making 4 batches of raspberry jelly & 2 batches of raspberry jam. Probably will be all I get this year as they are going by too fast!
Everything is early this year.!:cool::confused:

RonsGarden

Super Moderator
Staff member
Damm, I feel dumb after re-reading my post! The province is Saskatchewan not Saskatoon, which is the city!! Must have been one of those mind burps!
Another fruit from Saskatchewan is the LONICERA caerulea commonly called Edible Blue Honeysuckle! Been dying to get my hands on a few seedlings to add to my edible landscape!

Randy

Super Moderator
Staff member
Damm, I feel dumb after re-reading my post! The province is Saskatchewan not Saskatoon, which is the city!! Must have been one of those mind burps!
Another fruit from Saskatchewan is the LONICERA caerulea commonly called Edible Blue Honeysuckle! Been dying to get my hands on a few seedlings to add to my edible landscape!

I'm glad to hear that, Ron. I can name most of the provinces, but you really threw me a curve on that one. I feel better now.

kinnika

Wow I had to scratch my head also when I learned we had a new province LOL. Saskatoons are big thing around here and when they are ready everyone scrambles to get them before the birds do. Our next thing is Chokecherries which made wonderful jelly.

Randy

Super Moderator
Staff member
I have heard of them. I may go picking again this afternoon, but it will put me in panic mode to get them processed as I have a boys' meeting this evening. I need to attend.

Gardenforums.com is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com