Saving Seeds--It's Easy

GardenForums.com a friendly and growing community of gardeners. We feature a Garden Discussion Forum and Garden Photo Gallery. It's a fun and friendly place to talk with other gardeners, ask questions, share you knowledge, view and post photos and more! Whether you're a master gardener, or brand new to the hobby, you'll find something of interest here.

Mainegal

Super Moderator
Staff member
Great sites Debe
Got to bookmark them
I need to get better at saving seeds so I can share my seeds with friends that want them

Flower4Yeshua

Super Moderator & vegemm
Staff member
Well when you get better at it let me know :D
I forgot to put the sungold seeds in your card...:confused:I will send them along after the first of the year...sorry:eek:

Mainegal

Super Moderator
Staff member
Debe
Don't worrry about the seeds, got plenty of time, can't start them until March or so here

Gloria

Super Moderator
Staff member
Has anyone saved any seeds this year?
I saved tomato, watermelon and okra seeds from my veggie garden. I also saved japanese morning glory, marigold, mixed dahlia, zinnia, canna and a lot of other types of flower seeds. I didn't save as much seeds this year as I usually do. The weather kept my seed heads damp and I lost a lot before I could gather them. What have you saved?

Flower4Yeshua

Super Moderator & vegemm
Staff member
I didn't get to say as many seeds as normal , with the move being at the end of Augs....But I did save some tomato, melon, and cuke seeds....then got some of the peoni seeds ...I know they will not germinate ture to the color from which they came...but after alot of reaserch found that you can end up with a new color all together...so I am excited to see what will come...

Melissa

That is really cool with the peony seeds....how long does it take to get a bloom from planting the seed? You have got to post the progress....I am dying to know!! I have collected peony seed before and sent it to my friend but never tried it myself....depending on your results...I may try it.

Mainegal

Super Moderator
Staff member
I'm anxious to know how the peony seeds sprout. I'll have to try to save some next yr.

Flower4Yeshua

Super Moderator & vegemm
Staff member
Hello Smelly Melly , Took me a bit of research to find information on propagating peoni seeds…. As I had only dug up and dived plants in th epast. But being the place we were at was not ours, I didn’t feel I should do this. ….as I watched the seeds pods develope on the plants I htough why not…seemd to take forever for the seeds to form though….Had to wait until the pods got to the point they were just getting ready to open…if you have ever collected bean seeds…like that…then the only seeds inside that where any good were a really bark brown—almost black…I allowed the seeds to dry on a plate for a few days and then put in envelope. Now I did write down the color of the flower the seeds came from but sence learned they do not grown true to the color…and is actually how the breeders come up with new varieties….so if we are looking to create a new variety of peonies this is how we do it…
Once you are ready to plant I have read of two ways…both say you should pre treat the seeds in hydrogen peroxide----3% hydrogen peroxide—cover your seeds and soak for 20 minutes. Then drain the seeds ---this is done to help control fungal disease. Now one method says to then place on moist paper towels fro two weeks---keep at 82 degrees—then plant in sterile potting soil in plastic bag and put in your refrigerator for four weeks----

Now the other information I found says to nick the seeds after the hydro soak—then pit in a zip lock bag with vermiculite, moisten, and keep in a warm place. Watch the seeds and when growth starts take out of the bag and pot up…then place outside over winter….

Then I came across this site---

http://www.paeonia.com/html/peonies/propagation.htm

with a step by step…so once Christmas is over I will be starting some seeds…who knows may come up with some new color …LOL

Crabbergirl

Super Moderator
Staff member
I didn't have time to check out the site you posted( Surfing at work :eek: anyway I like to use my food storage sealer to make my seeds air tight. But a word of acution you must make sure they are completly dry before sealing.

Flower4Yeshua

Super Moderator & vegemm
Staff member
Good reminder CG, I also the inserts that fall out of the mags....and the little zip locksyou can get at craft stores

Maggie

Got a question about bleeding heart seed. This is the first year I have noticed seed on my bleeding hearts and I want to save some but when do you harvest them. I always thought they had to dry on the vine but they are falling off before they dry. I broke one open and the seed were black but the pod is still green. Ant suggestions on this.

Maggie

Thanks for the site Mainegal it's very helpful. According to it the temps. have to be just right for them to seed and we did have and unusally cool spring. I just wish I could catch some that have dried before they fall off.

We have two white peonies here. The seeds all fell off while green. Will they dry this way? I think our strong winds blew them off.

Flower4Yeshua

Super Moderator & vegemm
Staff member
when i researched to dry the peony seeds it said to leave them on the plant to dry...also as a reminder they will noto be true to the plant they came from...you may get a whole new color...also it takes very long to germinate and then up to 5 years to get a bloom

Flower4Yeshua

Super Moderator & vegemm
Staff member
Got a question about bleeding heart seed. This is the first year I have noticed seed on my bleeding hearts and I want to save some but when do you harvest them. I always thought they had to dry on the vine but they are falling off before they dry. I broke one open and the seed were black but the pod is still green. Ant suggestions on this.

sorry i missed your question...I watch the bloom dry a bit on the plant then clip it and place it on news paper to complete the dry...works wonderfully...they are tiny seeds and blow away very easily

seedlover7

Hi!
I am a gardener and a farmer as well at a limited scale. Above all, I love to swap seeds with other gardeners around the world in exchange with their seeds. It makes my hobby more interesting and fun.

I have been trying to use spread sheets for years to save my seeds data, but finally I found something better than that. I found FREE SEED ORGANIZER to keep my seeds data updated and fresh.

It is an online resource which helps you keep record of your seeds as well as helps you in sorting out your data more conveniently and easily. The best thing is that the entire service is absolutely FREE and There's no cost involved!

Happy Gardeneing
Jack

Gardenforums.com is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com