Seeds from Poinsettias

GardenForums.com a friendly and growing community of gardeners. We feature a Garden Discussion Forum and Garden Photo Gallery. It's a fun and friendly place to talk with other gardeners, ask questions, share you knowledge, view and post photos and more! Whether you're a master gardener, or brand new to the hobby, you'll find something of interest here.

Prowl

Well..... I'm atempting it on Draven.... :D
Anybody Else????

Attachments

• DravenSnowFeb09.jpg
    DravenSnowFeb09.jpg
    95.4 KB · Views: 436
  • DravensBract21stFeb09.jpg
    DravensBract21stFeb09.jpg
    153.8 KB · Views: 421

Mainegal

Super Moderator
Staff member
I can't get them to grow for me. Will be looking to see how it goes for you. Keep us updated.

lynpenny

Super Moderator
Staff member
How very cool I'll be watching to see how it goes. I've killed many poinsettas so I hope to see someone grow one from seed.

Prowl

Still Hanging in there....

The 1st post Photo was t5aken on the 21st...
This one is of today the 28th of Feb 09

Attachments

• Draven Seedpod 28th Feb09.jpg
    Draven Seedpod 28th Feb09.jpg
    110.2 KB · Views: 434

RonsGarden

Super Moderator
Staff member
You may get a surprise starting them from seed! They may revert back to what they used to looked like in the early days before hybidizing!
All the named cultivars are propagated through cuttings and tissue culture so the offsprings are all clones of the original!

RonsGarden

Super Moderator
Staff member
It could be depending on your expectations of what the seeds will untimately become!
It will be a good 2 years before you will know what they look like!

Prowl

Mainly I'd Just like to see if it can be done....
Thanks Ron, Mainegal and Lynpenny I'll let you know how it goes *Wink*

Crabbergirl

Super Moderator
Staff member
Ron is right. I find just snapping a limb and sticking it in a root bed is esay when trying to increase your plants.

Last edited:

Prowl

Still Hanging in There.... *WHOOOOT*
as of today the 2nd of March 09

Attachments

• DravensSeedPod2ndMarch09.jpg
    DravensSeedPod2ndMarch09.jpg
    144 KB · Views: 418

Crabbergirl

Super Moderator
Staff member
I would love to . I keep saying that I will post on the weekends. I have dial up at home so it is like a bad traffic jam to sit at the computer. I guess I will have to save pics on disc so I can post from work. Give me a few days I'll get you some pics!
My aunt had one that was about 10 feet around and about 8 feet tall. I have never been able to accomplish that. I have an area that I want to try planting several as a visual barrier, or like a living fence.

Prowl

Looks Like I May have some More seedpods Growing... But PLEASE don't hold me to that..... LOL

Mindy01

Do you have any idea why my Poinsettia Flowers are smaller compaired to last year? The Red color is great! I saved this Plant from last year brought it back in from outside all last summer growed HUGE!!!! The ones in the stores have big flowers but mine dosen't. is there something i am doing wrong?

RonsGarden

Super Moderator
Staff member
Did you use fertilizer while it was actively growing outdoors?
Use one with a low nitrogen number....say 10-15-30 or similar ratio!

Gardenforums.com is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com