shampoo gingers

GardenForums.com a friendly and growing community of gardeners. We feature a Garden Discussion Forum and Garden Photo Gallery. It's a fun and friendly place to talk with other gardeners, ask questions, share you knowledge, view and post photos and more! Whether you're a master gardener, or brand new to the hobby, you'll find something of interest here.

tiggyann

i have a ton of these little beuaty, all freshly dug from my yard, all ready to grow...these flowers from these bulbs produce a fragrant ginger soap...yes, it actually laters up slightly and the indians in hawaii use it for centuries as a shampoo and soap to wash themselves...the soap actually can be used in a drink as well!

Last edited by a moderator:

Fantasygal1

TiggyAnn, do you still have one or 2 shampoo gingers you could trade?? I only have the following and can also do Postage Plmk if any of the following interest you. I thihk it would make a great additiong for my parents Memory Garden. Thank-you plmk.I have these that I can share
1)Florence Vaughan cannas babies (2)

2)Devil's Backbone cuttings

3) Mother of Thousands rooted cuttings

4) bue rose cuttings (plenty)

5) Olive seeds

6) "Sweet Autumn" clematis small rooted vine

7)Purple heart queen small rooted plants
Sincerely and respectfully,
Fantasygal1

Wombat

There's about 20 different varieties of shampoo ginger available locally here they're beautiful things. Squeeze the flower cone and the liquid smells like shampoo. Got a pic of mine here somewhere...:)

Attachments

• Ginger_Zingiber_zerumbet_1.jpg
    Ginger_Zingiber_zerumbet_1.jpg
    70.1 KB · Views: 388

Fantasygal1

Wow!!!!!

Great pic Wombat!!!! Don't suppose you'd care to trade for anything on my posted list would you?? I don't have much but have been through a lot in the past 3 years and now want to give my Mom and Dad their favorite plants in their Memory Garden. Plmk Thanks!!
Alwyas a friend
Nancy aka Fantasygal1

1)Florence Vaughan cannas babies (2)

2)Devil's Backbone cuttings

3) Mother of Thousands rooted cuttings

4) bue rose cuttings (plenty)

5) Olive seeds

6) "Sweet Autumn" clematis small rooted vine

7)Purple heart queen small

Crabbergirl

Super Moderator
Staff member
John,
Yours are beautiful. Mine have so many leaves you have to relly look for the flowers. Also mine do not turn red until the very end of their life. Right now they are green with white flowers. I hate to trim the leaves off but sure would like to see the flowers ;)

Wombat

Well that pic was the only time one of mine actually looked like that!;) Mostly they were similar to your description of your own plants. :D There are different varieties available but I get a lot of my plants from the "hurt or injured" section lol. They're always marked down considerably but if you know what you're looking at.....plants that die back in winter and look unattractive...therefore unsellable, you can get absolute bargains at times.:)

Crabbergirl

Super Moderator
Staff member
Oh I love the 'Destine to die" rack. I can save anything just about and it's a great way to get what you want at a reduced price. My son is the expert shopper in that category

Wombat

Good to see your son has inherited his mum's sharp eyes lol. I always go to the ICW for plants at garden centres. It's truly amazing what those places consider ''past it". It doesn't seem to occur to them that a whole lot of plants dies back in winter and re-shoot in spring, or maybe they do and just don't have the space? Anyway I don't mind as 3/4 of my plants have come from that area. I may have to do an excel spreadsheet and see how much I've saved over the years!;)

Crabbergirl

Super Moderator
Staff member
I think you are right John. They don't have the room or the time to care for ill plants. I have often seen them discarded in dumpsters. If I get the chance I grab them.

I sent Fantasy girl ( Nancy) a box with some Shampoo gingers but I only had a couple small enough to ship so if anyone else has some you might want to work something out with her ;)

Wombat

My edible gingers should be sprouting soon, they're such a great flavour in stir frys and asian cooking.

Crabbergirl

Super Moderator
Staff member
I have about a 40' row of edible ginger. I just love it. So good for you too.

try this:

Slice one cucumber
slice 1/4 cup ginger thin
Slice one lemon or lime

Place in a one gallon jug of water, add honey to taste. Let it get cold and then drink. It is really good and very healthful.

Gardenforums.com is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com