Share salad recipes Please!!!

GardenForums.com a friendly and growing community of gardeners. We feature a Garden Discussion Forum and Garden Photo Gallery. It's a fun and friendly place to talk with other gardeners, ask questions, share you knowledge, view and post photos and more! Whether you're a master gardener, or brand new to the hobby, you'll find something of interest here.

Randy, we had steak on the grill and chicken in the oven..the Germans don't have gas grills, they were in awe of ours. They only have hibachis. Bruce gave them instructions on how to grill and they all had to do their own. We had a great dinner, they drank a lot and ate alot. They stayed for 7 hours, and we all had a great time. They want me to come with Bruce to Germany so that they can show me their country. We had a few different appetizers, including homemade tortilla chips with my homemade salsa it was a great hit. We also had Halushski, a noodle and cabbage dish, augratin potatoes, a mandarin tossed salad with caramelized almonds, and cupcakes. It was very fun for me to get to know some more people. I love hubbies company for giving me that opportunity. His boss considers me an employee since I make life easy for all people visiting or transferring. If they pay for the dinner I consider it my job, ha.
I have gotten to the point that I don't want to work weekends anymore and I know that no matter where I go to work they will expect weekends, so if I don't have to, I won't. I do miss working with the public, but, I am getting a great experience now, so it is good.

7 hours! That's a good sign. It is also a good sign that they wanted you to come to their country to show you their's. My wife is German and her mother's family was very gracious and loved to gather as a family. Her father's family was much less social and rather stoic. My wife saw the difference and thus makes a great hostess. And she has been asking me to do some of my specialty items now to supplement her holiday meals or social gatherings.

We like to do a taco salad. It is super easy. just chop a head of iceberg lettuce, I make about a 1/2 pound of taco meat for hubby and me. then I put some chopped tomato and cheddar cheese on top. I use taco sauce for the dressing.

Oh, I meant to ask you about your homemade salsa. Tell me about that.

Randy, I will see about posting that recipe. I have been making the same one for years. One thing that I love about moving back to PA is being able to get fresh corn tortillas again. I could only get boxed ones in Ontario. Now we eat Mexican once a week. I think that I should do tacos tonight, now that I am thinking about it I am hungry for them.

The Mexican Coleslaw sounds great. I am printing this because the girl that is in the same building as I am will love it too.
I love wilted greens as a salad.

Wilted Greens Salad
Bitter greeens work well but you can use any I even use broccoli leaves.
fat back ( like salt pork or you can use bacon)
Sliced green onions
rice wine vinegar

fry the meat untill it is crispy. Crumble it into the grease let in the pan. Lightly brown onions with the meat.Add (depending on how much fat you have) a couple Tbs of vinegar. Now this is where it varies from location to location, some of those in the deep south pour the hot grease and vinegar over the greens others will stir the greens into the fat and fry them a little bit. If you are watching you fat remove most of the grease before adding the vinegar and then stir fry you green in the hot skillet. Keep in mind you don't want to over cook them just kind of wilt them.

You can also top with just a touch of grated cheese if you like.

Here's a salad everyone here love's

SEVEN LAYER SALAD

1 small head shredded lettuce
1 small can english pea's (drained)
4 hard boiled egg's (chopped)
1 pkg.bacon fried (crumbled)
1/2 small onion (chopped)
1 pkg.cheese (shredded)
1/2 Cup green pepper (chopped)
1 bottle ranch dressing
1 teasp.sugar or sweetner
Add sugar or sweetner with dressing drizzle over salad.

Layer in glass oblong bowl
Put layer of lettuce,pea's,chopped egg ,bacon,onion,pepper,cheese drizzle dressing over layer's add shredded cheese.
Repeat layer's top with shredded cheese.
Cover and refrigerate.

SEVEN LAYER SALAD

1 pkg.cheese (shredded)
1 bottle ranch dressing

Put layer of lettuce,pea's,chopped egg ,bacon,onion,pepper,cheese drizzle dressing over layer's add shredded cheese.
Cover and refrigerate.

Yummy! I am in the mood for salads!! I'll try it!

Cottage cheese/ tomato salad this sound crazy, but is delicious. 2 cups cottage cheese, 1 large ripe tomato, 1/4 cup chopped or sliced thin red onion, 1/4 cup mayonaise and salt and pepper to taste. mix all together and enjoy.

SEVEN LAYER SALAD

1 pkg.cheese (shredded)
1 bottle ranch dressing

Cover and refrigerate.

My family and friends enjoy that salad too SpiderLily. I used Miracle whip with the sugar for the salad dressing instead of ranch.

I have used Miracle whip too.I just love the taste of the Ranch Dressing with just a touch of sweetness to it.

This is more of a meal type salad it has a bit of prep work but is yummy and zesty

Chilli Lime Chicken salad

Ingredients

* 2 skinless chicken breast fillets
* 1 ½ cups diluted salt-reduced or homemade chicken stock
* 1 cup water
* 1 carrot, peeled and finely julienned
* 3 shallots, sliced on the diagonal
* 1 red bell pepper, deseeded and sliced
* 1 radicchio treviso or radicchio lettuce, shredded
* handfull watercress leaves
* CHILLI–LIME DRESSING:
* 2 tablespoons desiccated coconut, lightly toasted
* 2 limes, juiced
* 2 garlic cloves, roughly chopped
* 1 bird's eye chilli, roughly chopped (deseed if you prefer)
* ½ cup Greek-style yoghurt
* 15 g watercress leaves

preparation method

1. Place the chicken fillets, stock and water into a saucepan, ensuring the chicken is just covered. Gently bring the chicken to the boil while covered. Once the stock comes to the boil, remove the saucepan from the heat, keeping the lid on tight. Sit for 20–25 minutes or until the chicken is fully cooked when tested. Drain and allow to cool.
2. In a large bowl, toss together the carrot, shallots, capsicum, radicchio and watercress. Once the chicken is cooled, gently shred or, if you prefer, slice. Add to the salad.
3. To make the dressing, place the coconut, lime juice, garlic, chilli, yoghurt and the reserved watercress into a small food processor bowl and gently whiz together until creamy. Alternatively, place into a small jug and blend with a hand-held blender.
4. To serve, pour the dressing over the salad and gently toss together, or if you prefer serve the dressing separately

Cottage Cheese jello salad
1 pkg lime jello
1 pint cottage cheese
1 can drained crushed pineapple
1 carton 8oz cool whip
Put cottage cheese in a bowl, pour dry jello over c/c then mix in the drained pineapple,
mix well then mix in thawed cool whip.
Serve.
Keep in the fridge.

This sounds like a winner! Thanks for sharin' with us all!!

SEVEN LAYER SALAD

1 pkg.cheese (shredded)
1 bottle ranch dressing

Cover and refrigerate.

I do this salad but trying to cut the calories and the fat and cholesterol I do it differently. I use baco's instead of bacon, I cut the eggs to 2, I use fresh or frozen peas just cause I like them better, I use green onions, radishes instead of green peppers to add color, of course the lettuce, I use lite miracle whip and 2% shredded cheddar cheese. But I love this salad. I think I will make it for tomorrow. Oh yeah I seal the salad with the miracle whip on top and let it set in the fridge overnight.

The Mexican Coleslaw sounds great. I am printing this because the girl that is in the same building as I am will love it too.
I love wilted greens as a salad.

Wilted Greens Salad
Bitter greeens work well but you can use any I even use broccoli leaves.
fat back ( like salt pork or you can use bacon)
Sliced green onions
rice wine vinegar

fry the meat untill it is crispy. Crumble it into the grease let in the pan. Lightly brown onions with the meat.Add (depending on how much fat you have) a couple Tbs of vinegar. Now this is where it varies from location to location, some of those in the deep south pour the hot grease and vinegar over the greens others will stir the greens into the fat and fry them a little bit. If you are watching you fat remove most of the grease before adding the vinegar and then stir fry you green in the hot skillet. Keep in mind you don't want to over cook them just kind of wilt them.

You can also top with just a touch of grated cheese if you like.

Crabbergirl, let me know what you think of the Mexi Coleslaw. Kim

The salad we most enjoy is:.......and I make them up in individule salad bowls.

Roman lettuce
Rings of red onion
Mandrin orange slices, or strawberry's
chopped walnuts &
Poppy seed dressing.........

So simple, but so good...........:)

Lots of great salads here I am anxious to try..............:)

Gardenforums.com is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com

Back