Share Your Crafts

GardenForums.com a friendly and growing community of gardeners. We feature a Garden Discussion Forum and Garden Photo Gallery. It's a fun and friendly place to talk with other gardeners, ask questions, share you knowledge, view and post photos and more! Whether you're a master gardener, or brand new to the hobby, you'll find something of interest here.

Interesting Randy,Any sewing involved?!
How did you get it together?
I have done little leather sewing what a job!
Nice jacket Garden Goddess, I made my daughter a few that were reversible when she was a younger lass.I started making myself one out of denim,I put materials from her left over clothing on as patches and pockets.All I had left was the zipper and final cleanup. I should finish it ,she can wear it now *LOL I started it about 5yrs ago.

BTW did you see the link I posted in post #15? a few things I made.

Crafty people here !:)

Kale:)

Kale, I checked your link, you have done some very crafty and beautiful work. I've done a lot of sewing in my time too and have 5 machines in my sewing room. I also started at an early age with sewing and made clothes for my very first Barbie doll at the age of 9.

Randy, I love the purse! The detail is fantastic.

Lady H,
That's so cool. Do you just use the pics and then lay them between the glass and add a "lead" to hold it together like stained glass?
I like to throw clay but I haven't had that chance in years. I still have my kiln but it has been sitting for so long I know I will need elements befaor I could use it. Not even sure if I can get good clay around here. I love to do a lot of underglazing and natual type colors. I was just getting into incorporating grasses and leaves in the surface of my designs but life happened and I can't seem to get back to it. One day though.

Last edited:
Thankyou Gloria,
I use to make matching sets of clothing for all her dolls,(to match with her ) even had her make clothing for dolls.I made a wedding dress and tux years ago;she only let the dolls wear it for a day,she said they can only wear it to get married! What a job that was.
She had a Ken doll called him Elijah and a female named her Esther they got married and then changed into their robes*LOL
I couldn't believe she took it off them after 2days work and a few minutes wear!*LOL

Crabber my daughter would love to use a kiln she loves clay works and does excellent detail tiny works what a talent she has !
She grew up with Carol from HGTV!
I should post a few of her wonderful clay stuff!
She amazes me too bad we cant afford one..maybe one day...Clay is extremely costly too.
BTW who do you throw clay at *LOL
(couldn't help myself*lol)

Kale:D

Lady---do you have a site you post you woork to sell? would ove to see more and maybe buy one...

I do a few differnt things...will have to get a few pictures together and post..

The flap of the purse was sewn to the back using a couple of heavy needles, but everything else on the purse was put together with leather lacing. There were some rivets to do to. I made a small gift for a cyber friend back in Rhose Island recently too. It was much less detailed than the purses are. It was a grooming kit with nail file, scissors, nail clippers and stuff like that in it. They were on sale one time for $25 each and I bought five of them. I have one left that I will probably use next year.

Checked out you stuff Kale, wow. I started sewing again last year after a 20 year break. The boys bought me a sewing machine for Christmas last year. I now have 3 and am looking at sergers.

I don't have any pictures at this point but I do black and white cross stitch portraits. I have given away everything I have done this far. They were all made as presents...I will try to remember to take pictures of them (they were all for my mom and my mother in law). I made one of my mom's dad and my mother in laws dad and that was their mothers day presents one year. Then I did one of myself for my mom and one of my oldest daughter for my mother in law for Christmas one year. I usually set them up (the size I make them) to go into a 10x13 frame. It just amazes me how they turn out. You are doing black and white but using pinks, blues and greens in it along with the greys and such. Up close it looks horrible and you can see all the different colors. When you back away a couple feet they just all blend together to make the shading. They look terrible while you are working on them also and I always end up thinking "This is going to look horrible and I shouldn't even bother finishing it" but in the end they look awesome.

I haven't worked on any for the last couple of years though....well sort of. I have one that I have been working on the last few years but I very rarely get any time to work on it so everytime I sit down to work on it I have to spend a while figuring out exactly where I am at and where I was going. I am hoping life calms down some more in the next month so I can pull it out and finish it. I used to be able to do one in about 4 months or so when I had time to spend on it but life has been hectic the last couple years. I am trying to rid myself of a few things that consume my time and then I can work on that kind of thing in between working with the girls on their homeschool lessons. My poor flower gardens suffered horribly last summer due to my lack of time...they basically became weed patches...ugh!

Lady---do you have a site you post you work to sell? would love to see more and maybe buy one...QUOTE]

I have my crafts things for sale at etsy. It's a great arts and crafts site, mostly all handcrafted items, some vintage items and crafts supplies. My site is at ladyhawthorne.etsy.com

I hope it's ok to post that, if not please forgive me, I could not find any info saying I couldn't.

And Crabber, yes it is similar to doing stained glass.

Everyone's work is so pretty! Love the cross stitches and Randy's purse.

Checked out you stuff Kale, wow. I started sewing again last year after a 20 year break. The boys bought me a sewing machine for Christmas last year. I now have 3 and am looking at sergers.

Started doing some craft type sewing this year after 30+ years. I got involved helping our US troops in harms way. I made a pillow case for a hot water bottle I sent to a soldier that was in the mountains of Afghanistan. I joined some military groups and one touched me in a special way to help. They make quilts for the immediate family of a fallen soldier. That is the most rewarding thing I have done in a long long time.

I have made some other things too. I have made three of those purses. Years ago, I would cut my pieces of leather and punch all my own holes. It costs a bit more to buy a kit, but the leather pieces are already cut with lacing or sewing holes all punched. I have made some checkbook covers, grooming kits, key wallets, and small coin purses. I got tired of those plastic checkbook covers falling apart so I made one out of cowhide about 12 years ago that I am still carrying. It will never wear out. If the lacing does wear though, I will just relace it.

I have made some other things too. I have made three of those purses. Years ago, I would cut my pieces of leather and punch all my own holes. It costs a bit more to buy a kit, but the leather pieces are already cut with lacing or sewing holes all punched. I have made some checkbook covers, grooming kits, key wallets, and small coin purses. I got tired of those plastic checkbook covers falling apart so I made one out of cowhide about 12 years ago that I am still carrying. It will never wear out. If the lacing does wear though, I will just relace it.

Randy you still never cease to amaze me with all your many talents.

Miss Dale, I look at those around me here on the forum and I can't do much by comparison. But I appreciate the comment.

So much easier using a kit Randy. I buy kits with cross stitch too. That way I don't have to rack my brain to find a pattern and all the right threads...I'd never do one that way. I started a new one today. I ordered 2 back in Feb and just getting to the second one. It's another Blue Willow piece but a little more simplified and with a full vase of flowers in the design. I should have it done by next fall..maybe.

See, there's an example. I can sew on a button or hem a pair of pants and that's about the size of it. LOL The stitchwork you gals do is amazing.

So much easier using a kit Randy. I buy kits with cross stitch too. That way I don't have to rack my brain to find a pattern and all the right threads...I'd never do one that way. I started a new one today. I ordered 2 back in Feb and just getting to the second one. It's another Blue Willow piece but a little more simplified and with a full vase of flowers in the design. I should have it done by next fall..maybe.

Gloria I don't know how you have time to do the intricate cross stich pieces you do. You are amazing.

Miss Dale, I look at those around me here on the forum and I can't do much by comparison. But I appreciate the comment.

Quit being modest Mr. Randy, you are an inspiration to us all. You are always busy with a project or cooking up some good food. And the list goes on. Not to mention.. sharing your talents with all of us. :)

I'm not crafty but do enjoy seeing everyones. Randy, awesome job on the leather, I did buy some Wilson's leather products last winter as the store was going out of business.
a nice long leather jacket with zip out lining for $60. 2 short jackets for $17 each, some purses and wallets, gloves for less than $10. Don't remember what the purses and wallets were, gave one set to my mom to use on vacation
my grammie used to do cross stitch but she would iron the pattern on and do it that way. sure wished i had learned to tat and do other things from her. she was a lefty and so am i so it would of be easier to learn from her. i can't sew a straight line so sewing is out for me....lol

Quit being modest Mr. Randy, you are an inspiration to us all. You are always busy with a project or cooking up some good food. And the list goes on. Not to mention.. sharing your talents with all of us. :)

Gloria I couldn't have said it better myself!! Randy YOU ROCK!!!

Gardenforums.com is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com

Back