Shiitake mushrooms

GardenForums.com a friendly and growing community of gardeners. We feature a Garden Discussion Forum and Garden Photo Gallery. It's a fun and friendly place to talk with other gardeners, ask questions, share you knowledge, view and post photos and more! Whether you're a master gardener, or brand new to the hobby, you'll find something of interest here.

Crabbergirl

Super Moderator
Staff member
I have ventured into a new area.
My first attempt was a bust a few years ago. But a friend of mine renewed my interest in mushrooms.
I bought a seeded block and had great success. So I bought the supplies to go big.
There are several ways you can go.
I HAVE a table top log I am starting for my sil. Then I have several logs seeded for personal use. And it's supposed to be relatively easy, LOL, I'll try to keep you updated on my progress, successes and failures. I have included this first picture of my setup.
It is important to use freshly cut green logs, before any other fungi set up housekeeping. You also must have a Mist system to keep them dampened and they have to be set up in the shade. You drill holes two or three inches apart and plug them with the inoculant.

Attachments

• 15231008198041627373013.jpg
    15231008198041627373013.jpg
    427.6 KB · Views: 400
  • 1523100929697724860609.jpg
    1523100929697724860609.jpg
    222.8 KB · Views: 388

Gloria

Super Moderator
Staff member
It would be my luck that a bad stray mushroom would grow in there. There was a news article a week ago about dogs eating mushrooms that was growing in the yard and got sick. As much as I love mushrooms, I think I need to leave the growing to people like you that know which is what with them.
:)

bob

Administrator
Staff member
It would be my luck that a bad stray mushroom would grow in there.
:)

All mushrooms are edible... some more than once. :)

OK, so help me out here Crabby. Do the ones you grow look distinct from the poisonous kind? I mean if you know you planted one specific type of mushroom, and know what it looks like, then you could simply ignore anything that didn't look like that type, right? You wouldn't have to know how to identify them all, just know what your specific type looks like and only pick those. Would that work?

Crabbergirl

Super Moderator
Staff member
You are correct Bob. That's one reason you use green logs without any other fungi, that, and that other fungi can be invasive and eat you shrooms. Buy only inoculated product from certified farms.
Wild mushroom picking requires extensive education and experience to avoid a bad experience.
Case in point:
My son is an avid mushroom ticket, confident in his identification. Several years ago he misidentified a species. He said he thought he was going to die. The stomach cramps made him think he was in big trouble. He was so weak he could get up to seek aid. It was 18 hours of writhing cramps, vomiting and diarrhoea. Then for several days he was weak.

Gardenforums.com is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com