Sneaky Snakes

GardenForums.com a friendly and growing community of gardeners. We feature a Garden Discussion Forum and Garden Photo Gallery. It's a fun and friendly place to talk with other gardeners, ask questions, share you knowledge, view and post photos and more! Whether you're a master gardener, or brand new to the hobby, you'll find something of interest here.

Mainegal

Super Moderator
Staff member
Oh yeah snakes are drawn to water.... no ponds for me...
I would have never thought of that either Gloria, but sorry to say I'm glad it's you with the pond close to your house and not me,....yuk..... do you get water moccasins?

Blueaussi

I've got no clue, don't all snakes eat moles and mice????

No. Some eat bugs and invertebrates, some eat small fish, some eat eggs or small birds, and some even eat other snakes.

Moles can get pretty large, it would take a good sized snake to eat one.

Kya D

Maybe mice... but those rattlers look plenty big enough to eat ANYTHING they want to dine on.

JenD

This is our 4th summer in this house and so far I have only seen a few black snakes and 1 garter snake(which unfortunately I freaked and killed, lol). I am scared of snakes but if I'm at the pet store and they have them out I will check them out. But in the yard I try to stay away!

Randy

Super Moderator
Staff member
We have two kinds of snakes around here. One is the garter snake and the other is called a rubber boa. I didn't even know what a rubber boa was until I saw them at the Portland Zoo. Now I have seen a couple of them here on our place.

Spider_Lily

My daughter and I try to walk every afternoon.But it's been sooooo dreadfully hot .Anyway we waited till almost dark yesterday.I stepped all over some long skinny brown snake :eek:.It was trying to get away and I was dancing a jig all over it.My daughter screaming snake !!!!!!!
I don't know who was scared the most me or the snake.I think it was some sort of grass snake.

Gloria

Super Moderator
Staff member
I have water moccasins, rattlers, cotton mouth, king, black, green, rat, chicken and quite a few other snakes in my area. So far this year I've only killed 2 chicken snakes. A chicken snake can swallow a bird, mole or rat whole. King snakes eat other snakes but unforunately I killed the only one I saw on the property last year. I didn't wait to ID the fellow..my fear set me into killer mode before thinking if it was a good snake or not. The summer has just begun, I'm sure I'll see a few more in time. Just hope I see them before they see me.

Kya D

We have Great basin gopher snakes, whipsnakes, garter snakes, we have a few more rarely seen ones too and "Great basin rattlesnakes", these are the only ones that are venomous and they really would rather warn you than bite you.
With the huge amount of mice in and around my chicken coop I really like the snakes out by my coops.

Randy

Super Moderator
Staff member
It may have been my brother that told me about hoop snakes down there in Texas. He said they were long snakes that could grab their tails in their mouth and then roll faster than you could run. But he is the one that also told me that you can catch a bird by pouring salt on their tail. I think I was about 5 or 6 then and I spent the next few weeks trying to figure out how to get salt on a bird's tail. It took me quite awhile, but it finally dawned on me that he had done it to me again.

JenD

Lol Randy. With my bro's and sis's so much younger than me I have pulled quite a few on them.

We saw a big black snake cross the drive way on Sunday. I am really trying to have an open mind with them, lol. If anything keeps the mice away they are very welcome to stay! Not sure what all types of snakes we have around here, might have to do some research and find out. Could be a good thing to know. I know we have cooper heads and then the black and garter but beyond that????

Gardenforums.com is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com