Some help from you oceanside folk

GardenForums.com a friendly and growing community of gardeners. We feature a Garden Discussion Forum and Garden Photo Gallery. It's a fun and friendly place to talk with other gardeners, ask questions, share you knowledge, view and post photos and more! Whether you're a master gardener, or brand new to the hobby, you'll find something of interest here.

Kya D

I am in need of a dehumidifier and I am at a loss as to which one to get... I live in the desert and have never dealt with anything being too damp. But now
I have a cellar that is really holding to much moisture.
Dehumidifiers come in such a huge price range from 15 to 300 dollars. I know i don't want a $15 one but I can't really afford a $300 one.
If you have a brand that works well for you PLMK about
Thanks.

RonsGarden

Super Moderator
Staff member
$150 is mid price!
You can set it up so any moisture condensed will go down a floor drain so you wont need to empty the catch tub! There is usually a hose attachment for this.
As to brand name..I have had a Danson that I picked up at Home Depot!
I would suggest you check them out, or at Lowes.

Last edited:

Kya D

I will check out a danson, Thanks Ron.
I will not be able to plumb it into a drain because there isn't one down there.

Crabbergirl

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dawn,
A couple things to consider:

what is the area size in square feet. Here we have units that will do a small room or a whole house. So figure the amount of space first.

second; How sever is the dampness. Total dampness is moisture on the walls, less dampness would be evidence of mold or just a cold damp feeling.
Thrid;
Is this space used as a root cellar? If so the idea behind a root cellar is that it maintain some moisture, in which case you wouold want to monitor how much moisture you remove.
You may only need to run the unit part time. Some come with settings and humidity guages. Yes $300 is a lot and $15 maybe enough. Gather the information then consult with the sales person to make the correct choice for your needs.;)

in my situation as long as my space is heat and cooled , I don't require the use of a humidfier full time. In my unconditioned space only during the rainy season do I need to run the unitl or if we have a hurricane.

Kya D

Great info CG thanks.
It is a cellar and I am sure there is too much moisture down there. I will get the footage and also keep and eye on the unit.
It is damp enough to be causing damage to the produce so I really need to do something
Thanks again

rockhound

Have you tried installing a vent in one area and an exhaust fan in another, so you get a cross-draft? That might be all you need if the outside air is dry.

Randy

Super Moderator
Staff member
Good idea and that could be controlled automatically with a humidistat. She lives in cold country in the winter months so that could turn the basement into a refrigerator. There are heat exchangers though that extract the heat from the air before being exhausted and puts the heat into the incoming air. But now the cost has gone up considerably from a simple dehumidifier. Those heat exchangers are nice though for introducing outside air into tight houses without adding considerably to heating/cooling costs after the initial installation.

Gardenforums.com is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com