Starter Mediums..

GardenForums.com a friendly and growing community of gardeners. We feature a Garden Discussion Forum and Garden Photo Gallery. It's a fun and friendly place to talk with other gardeners, ask questions, share you knowledge, view and post photos and more! Whether you're a master gardener, or brand new to the hobby, you'll find something of interest here.

K

Kale

What do you use to start your veggies indoors!??
And how does it work for you ?

Kale:D

Randy

Super Moderator
Staff member
I have made up my own, Kale, but I don't use enough to really do that. There are always weed seeds in mine that I could neutralize by baking the soil for awhile in the oven. When I have made up my own I would use equal parts of soil from the garden, peat moss, and perlite.

K

Kale

How much and long and temps when baking.I understand that the smell is unforgivable is that so ? Do you have to leave the house to "neutralize" ? (Does it in fact rid you of those weed seed?)
I understand there is a correct way of doing it not to kill the needed micros.I have gotten such conflicting explanations and "facts" that I have never done that,besides I sow too many flats I would have to start in July*lol I am however still very interested,I am certain you are a reliable source to learn from.
Do you separate the 3 ingredients or mix them well into each other?
Very interesting...:D

Kale:)

RonsGarden

Super Moderator
Staff member
I use a sterile soil-less mix such as Pro-Mix, which is peat, perlite and vermiculite.
I don't have to worry about uninvited guests such as soil gnats, or damping off due to fungi!
I tried years ago to make my own mix, I found it was a lot of work ,and I wasn't all that far ahead, since I had to do small batches at a time.
The smell from the oven didn't add a positive note! It was quite potent since you need to leave the soil in the oven until it reaches that critical temp (If I remember correctly is around 210F) whereby the organisms are killed, along with the benificial ones!

Randy

Super Moderator
Staff member
I didn't do the sanitizing because of what I heard about the smell but I did have to pick out the little weeds when they germinated in the mix. But I just buy a 50 pound sack of potting soil and it lasts for at least 3 years for me.

K

Kale

*lol not into more smells then subject to in daily life*lol
I was wondering if play sand was any good for veggie seeds I have read conflicting opinions.

I usually use sphagnum peat moss, perlite and vermiculite.
I'm leaning to towards getting away from sphagnum peat moss, takes a few hours to get moist, and little flies come with it often.Wet and seems like they germinate every 10 days or so,dont have time to play catch the flies *LOL
I think top soil has been coming 7.5 pH, Peat also.

**Wonder if any one has tested elsewhere...
I bought the peat for my new Azaleas and tested it and it was 7.5 I was bothered, being it is used to make the soil acid and was higher then my soil was.
Also my compost with manure I bought was horrible.It stuck and stained my hands and clothing and didn't smell like any compost I ever handled,more like soy products, which clearly doesn't not break down.
I have found topsoil in a bag that was really nice to work with. I haven't used topsoil for veggies...Whats your thoughts!??

K

Kale

I'ts ok Randy but, I was seeking for 5.5-7.0 Several plants produce (blooms and/or fruit better with lower pH.

Randy

Super Moderator
Staff member
Oh, okay. But 7.0 is neutral and anything below that is on the acid side. That's where we are most of the time because of all the rain. That works very well for azaleas, rhododendrons and acid loving plants. I add some lime every year to the garden to bring the pH up a little bit.

K

Kale

Yes Randy that will work but I'm afraid to ad lime. I have been achin' to try lemon juice/water 1/20 ratio and see if it works.. what do you think?

Randy

Super Moderator
Staff member
It wouldn't hurt to try a little patch with it. I'm coming from the other side as our soil is on the acid side unless we add lime.

K

Kale

What would you add if it was alkaline to lower the pH from 7.5 to 6.5?
I don't want to raise:eek::eek:duh... I was confused there for a sec*LOL
I need to lower it.
Lime raises sawdust lowers but I read that once it is wet it looses it's value.:confused:

Kale:confused::confused::D

Randy

Super Moderator
Staff member
Not all sawdust is good, but it is used a lot around here to lower the pH and it also reduces available nitrogen. I think most of the sawdust used here is Douglas fir and hemlock. It is used extensively in the berry fields on top of the ground rather than tilled in.

Gardenforums.com is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com