Starting a compost

GardenForums.com a friendly and growing community of gardeners. We feature a Garden Discussion Forum and Garden Photo Gallery. It's a fun and friendly place to talk with other gardeners, ask questions, share you knowledge, view and post photos and more! Whether you're a master gardener, or brand new to the hobby, you'll find something of interest here.

I need ideas on what to use for the CARBON in my compost.

I've had what I feel is an excess of Nitrogen, and always adding more. I don't have any more brown leaves, so I need some clues

Me, the Libra, always looking for balance, even in my compost bin :p

forgot to say,

I have some newspaper to shred and add, but I'm not sure that would be enough...

how about shredded cardboard, you could get boxes for stores they some times will give them to you. sawdust does the town there chip up trees, or anyone saw wood you could get some wood chips that way, manure,grass clippings

Last edited:
I've used sawdust before, however you have to be very careful that noone has chipped up "treated" lumber in there as well. Sawdust doesn't break down very quick, at all.

Hmm, cardboard? Not a bad idea. Mind you, that should take me forever to cut it up into small pieces that will break down.

I think the newspaper in the shredder is going to have to be the main ticket, with some of that other stuff in smaller quantities.

Thanks for your help :p

PINE NEEDLES!!! Yahoo, THAT'S THE TICKET!!!

Now those, I've got!!! Oh thank you, thank you latebloomer!
:p :p

Scarz shred all your mail, bills, junk and Love letters ( it's for a good cause lol) and add that to your compost. Hit up the neighbors for their paper.

If there are any barns around they would be happy to give you stall muck ( saw dust with horsy stuff mixed in)

Oooh, I "wish" I had horsey friends around here. Hmm, suppose I could post a Wanted ad on Freecycle tho, huh. Thanks!

I wish I had room for a compost pile on the ground. I have a drum composter with a handle to turn. It's still in the box. But I thank you all for the tips above. I feel much more confident about getting it started.

I'm going to see if I can get some sheep manure for my garden, don't know any horse or cow owners around here any more.
I wished I had a composter that turned. I have the r2d2 looking one that i got though the town and one that i made out of chicken wire and 2x4's.

Types of composters

My husband and I started using a vermicomposter (a worm factory) and love it because we have a tiny yard, it works pretty quickly and you don't have to turn it. I researched the different types of composters before deciding on that one. This link explains the different types really well and the pros and cons of each. Hope it helps! Types of Composters :)

Razaross that link has some wonderful info.
I am just starting to compost and it has some good starting places.
Thanks

Gardenforums.com is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com

Back