Starting to plan 2013 - I need more space

GardenForums.com a friendly and growing community of gardeners. We feature a Garden Discussion Forum and Garden Photo Gallery. It's a fun and friendly place to talk with other gardeners, ask questions, share you knowledge, view and post photos and more! Whether you're a master gardener, or brand new to the hobby, you'll find something of interest here.

mr_yan

Well it's now late February in the midwest so that means garden planning and seed orders.

I just received my seed order from Johnny's today. I'm trying six new varieties:
Goldie Husk Cherry (a ground cherry / husk tomato)
Broccoli - Gypsy
Kabocha Squash - Sunshine orange
Havasu Pepper - supposedly hot
Beet - Red Ace
Brussels Sprouts - Churchill

The rest of my garden will be rounded out with seeds I have on hand or have saved:
Tomatoes - Grape, Cherokee Purple, Celebrity, Brandywine
Bell Peppers
Basil - Green and Thai
Cantaloupe
Watermelon
Garlic (in the ground and under the snow now)
Slicer cucumber
Green beans - both bush and blue lake pole
Collards
Fordhook Chard
Mustard
Spinach
Summer Squash
Rosemary (will buy a potted plant)
Turnips
Lima Beans

I still need to build up some new planter boxes to replace some other containers. These will be about 35" long, 14" wide, and roughly 17" deep. I have the sides cut but have run out of time to cut bottoms and assemble.

This weekend I hope to layout a gant chart for planting times. I know I still have until mid March before any seeds are placed in a starting pot. I do have a rough idea where I will plant things this year and a third rev of my planting map. If I only had rectangular raised beds it would be a lot easier to layout.

I'm toying with the idea of hydroponics again. I have the equipment laying around to build either a raft type or a NFT system for less than $10 plus nutrient. Now just the typical question of where to put it.

I'll probably also get a raised bed in the community garden at my church. There's three beehives up there too so I hope to find out who keeps those and learn all I can from them. As soon as we know our kids are not allergic to bees I want a hive or two.

I don't know yet if I will be able to handle a garden. There is a possibility I might be getting a new knee.

I have several containers on the back porch and will be using those. If I do plant a garden though all I have to do there is cut back on the space. The garden space I have set aside is over 1400 square feet adjacent to our orchard.

I have 5 raised beds with two of them set aside exclusively for flowers and herbs. The other 3 are for veggies only with insect attracting plants scattered amongst them. I also have a few large containers and these are for berry crops and dwarf fruit trees. I have a colony of stingless native bees that produce a small amount of honey......

I need to get creative with plantings

I have:
one raised bed - 4'x7' with 18" tall sides
half a dozen (ish) large round pots
3 planters 14" x 35" and 17" deep
1 planter ~50" x 14" x 17"
a few 18 gallon tote SWC's
a few 5 gallon SWC's
some space under my peach tree
almost 100 sq feet between a walkway and garage
and what ever I can tuck into other landscaped areas of this small lot

Gardenforums.com is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com

Back