Strangleweed (chokeweed???) Parasitic Dodder

GardenForums.com a friendly and growing community of gardeners. We feature a Garden Discussion Forum and Garden Photo Gallery. It's a fun and friendly place to talk with other gardeners, ask questions, share you knowledge, view and post photos and more! Whether you're a master gardener, or brand new to the hobby, you'll find something of interest here.

errol

Boy!! have I got a problem thats about to work me to death!! There is a really tiny round, yellow vine (no leaves) that twines around the flowers. It seem mostly on the cosmos" but will twine around anything near it. It does not seem to come from the ground, but I have seen very small tiny white blooms on the vine. I can pull it off , but I have to do this just about every day it seems. I can't find anything or a picture of it anywhere I guess because I don't know the actual name of this "THING"!! A neighbor said it was just a chokeweed. But its more of a very very tiny vine that can spread like wildfire and it chokes the flowers that if I didn't keep it pulled off would kill them. If anyone has had this problem before or have it now , I would like to know what causes it and if there is a way to get rid of it without so much work? Maybe Ron might know what it is...I will see if I can get a picture of it sometime later and will post it. Maybe someone will know the actual name of this "menace"!
thanks for any help
Errol:confused:

RonsGarden

Super Moderator
Staff member
I've seen this parasitic weed years ago! had fun getting them out of my perennial garden when I was living in the city!

It is called Dodder, common name S
trangleweed!!

Have fun!
Here's a good article on them: http://www.agf.gov.bc.ca/cropprot/dodder.htm

Please follow the recommendations on removal and disposal!

errol

KYA D, thank you for your reply, but that is not it. Ron, that is IT!!! I dont know where it came from, but I know it is a problem that needs to be rid of. I do gather it in a bucket when I am cleaning it up and then I put it in a black garbage bag. I was wondering how to dispose of it. guess I will try burning it but am taking a few pieces to the county agriculture dept here local. Only thing I can never tell where , if it is coming from the ground!
Ron, thanks very much again, I knew if anyone does know about this menace, that you would!
thank you, thank you!
Errol

Crabbergirl

Super Moderator
Staff member
We always called it Devils hair. It grows in the swamp pretty good but lucky for me has not found the yard!

RonsGarden

Super Moderator
Staff member
You are very welcome Errol!
It is an interesting pest!
Once the vine has climbed up onto a plant it sinks feeder roots into the plant! Once this happens the stem from the ground dies off since it no longer needs roots in the ground in order to survive! The host plant tends to die once the vine has set seeds! Therefore, the whole plant will need to be removed and burned to prevent spreading of the seeds!

errol

just wanted to let everyone know I have just about got the "dodder" problem whipped!! It has been a mess! But you just have to check it each day, and pull it off and in some in some just pull up the host plant. The good part is it was only on my cosmos, and of course they reseed, and I save seed from these. I do believe this "dodder" came from some composted cow manure that I got from a farmer's barn, and lucky I had put it in a couple of beds. I did burn the dodder after pulling it or the host plant. It will surely kill any plant that it gets on if not pulled off at once.
Thanks for all the help on this problem, and especially thanks to Ron for letting me know what it is and how to destroy it. Keeping my fingers crossed that I never see this stuff again!!

RonsGarden

Super Moderator
Staff member
You're welcome Errol!
You are doing it right by being vigilant and pull it before it can go to seed!
You will prevail!

Gardenforums.com is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com