Sweet gum tree

GardenForums.com a friendly and growing community of gardeners. We feature a Garden Discussion Forum and Garden Photo Gallery. It's a fun and friendly place to talk with other gardeners, ask questions, share you knowledge, view and post photos and more! Whether you're a master gardener, or brand new to the hobby, you'll find something of interest here.

midatlanticnan

We purchased a sweet gum tree two years ago and placed in our front side yard. Literature stated it was gum ball free. However, reading the forums you say that this tree spreads roots rapidly. The tree is not far from our well so I'm thinking we should probably remove it before it grows any larger. Any suggestions for a replacement? We live on the east coast in zone 7.

woodstock

welcome to the group......lots of knowledgeable people here.

I never heard of that tree......the rule of thumb is never plant a tree close to a well or septic...Im sure someone here will know all about your tree.....and will give you the best advice......

Annette99

Big Welcome to this forum from the Hudson Valley of New York. Feel free to introduce yourself in the new members section. I also don't know anything about that tree.

richnkim

Welcome form CA. I don't know anything either but maybe someone would know if you post the question in the Trees and Shrubs thread.

Nice to have you here! Kim

Mainegal

Super Moderator
Staff member
I moved this over to the tree section so hopefully it will get some responses. I dont know anything about them either. We don't have them in Maine, I don't think.
Welcome to the forum. Jump right in and make yourself at home, we are a real friendly group here.

treeman

Sweetgum, Liquidambar Styraciflua, does have a fine fibrous root syatem. It tends to be be near the surfacce. Its native habitat includes imperfedctly to poorly drained soils, but it prefers moderately drained soil and will grow well in well drained soils. To my knowledge the root systems aren't particularly harmful. I would no wnat it over or near a in yard septic system. However, unless your well istallation leaks, it should be sealed and you are unlikely to experience any problems. Since Sweet Gums get to be large trees I would want then to be a good 30 or 40m feet or more from the house. Other wise they are sturdy, grow with a nice form, and the autumn coloration is outstanding.

Gardenforums.com is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com