Sweet Potato front yard?

GardenForums.com a friendly and growing community of gardeners. We feature a Garden Discussion Forum and Garden Photo Gallery. It's a fun and friendly place to talk with other gardeners, ask questions, share you knowledge, view and post photos and more! Whether you're a master gardener, or brand new to the hobby, you'll find something of interest here.

Gatorfreak

I'm in Florida where sweet potato vine can grow crazy. I have a typical suburban lot with a fairly large front yard. Would it be so crazy to let sweet potato take over the front yard and just have sweet potatoes for the picking year 'round?

I'm just thinking it's less maintenance than mowing and produces lots of food. I'm not too concerned about what the neighbors think. I don't think it would look all that bad.

I had a few vines in my front yard last year. Sweet potatoes didn't do too well this far north though.

Any way watch your zoning laws. There have been cases where people were ticketed and or fined for veg beds in their front yards.

I tuck veg plants into some of my beds in the front yard though.

Solid vines- sweet potatoes as far as the eye can see...that would be cool. It would make a nice lawn, all the same height just not the height of grass.

Hey Gator,
Welcome. Florida native here. Depending on if you have a HOA or not or as Mr.Yan says zoning laws may be your only issue.I have had front yard gardens for years and only had one issue. ( City Councilman moved into a rural neighborhood. He just didn't get it until I showed him :D) There is a movement in Fl due to the drought ( not to mention the relief from the cost of gas)and that is wild planting yards. Allowing them to be totally natural or planted in non mowed wild flowers. It just depends on your areas restrictions.
Good luck and keep us posted. Always like to hear how it works for someone breaking the cookie cutter norm ;) You have my support!

Gardenforums.com is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com

Back