Tamales for Curbie

GardenForums.com a friendly and growing community of gardeners. We feature a Garden Discussion Forum and Garden Photo Gallery. It's a fun and friendly place to talk with other gardeners, ask questions, share you knowledge, view and post photos and more! Whether you're a master gardener, or brand new to the hobby, you'll find something of interest here.

I almost popped a can open for lunch for lack of the homemade kind Crabber.

Randy, Fritz always drains our mowers etc after it's obvious we won't be mowing anymore when the frost or a freeze ruins the grass. He also starts the mowers and chipper a time or two if he thinks he may still use them before winter. He mentioned the aviation fuel once too.

It works. My tiller sits idle for months, but it will start on the first or second pull every time with that avgas.

Crabber, did I tell you about what our former fire chief told me about small motors and gasoline? He uses aviation gas which is more expensive, but it ends the nuisance trips to the repair shop because of leaving that gasoline with ethanol in the tasks. I have saved at least several hundred dollars since I started using aviation gas.

In the back of my very full mind I do remember you saying that. That's a great idea. I have vowed to fill everything up and then go refill the cans. The air port is between me and the fuel station so I will check that out. Is the shelf life about the same? And would I still use something like Satbil to preserve the shelflife?

I use most everything all year , at the most we get about 3 months down time on the hand tools. But I have always kept stabil in them. I did have a weedeater lock up after the first year ,it was cheap ,I tossed it. But I am looking at a commercial machine now and really want to protect the investment.

WHO started this site? Now I have the hiccups......gosh I am such a goofball. LET'S talk about tamales..I'm going to make them like tacos. I can wrap them in bounce sheet and go from there! There is MORE than one way to skin a cat. Can I use cabbage? Well, that's stuffed cabbage. Tamales.....:) Curbie

Hmmmmmmmm Curbie!!! You may have just invented a new food.........cabbage tamales......my imagination is telling me that would be very tasty!!

Avgas on tamales would probably alter the taste to make them unpalatable. It isn't necessary to use a stabilizer in avgas though and there is no concern with shelf life. It is the stuff they add to regular gasoline from the service station that requires a stabilizer to be used on tamales.

I'm annoyed. I looked like I was a complete fool in the grocery store (again). I asked EVERYbody in the Mexican aisle if they know where the canned tamales are. One guy came back and said," I've looked everywhere for them." I asked the employees ~ "They should be right here." I had been standing there for 15 minutes, trying to see through my dirty reading glasses ~ "Could you please find them for me?" There are 20 types of refried beans but no tamales. "They MAY be in the soup aisle." I wandered around and then found toilet paper.. NOW I have a plan! Just you wait 'enry Higgins. SOMEbody is SO smart around here :) What is avgas? Curbie

Wrong! Go to the grocery store and look in the same section as the chili and you should be able to find tamales there if they have them. You go to the airport to find avgas. Got that now?

I looked there and none in the chili aisle too :) MTM delivers mail to a Mexican market and on his list of 'ToDo's" is now to remember to ask them. Those people make some great cornbread. I got it all, sir. Thank you ~ Curbie

Good! MTM is liable to get a blank stare if he asks for canned tamales at the Mexican market. But they should be able to supply real ones. There are a couple of these rolling restaurants that sell Mexican food and I have asked them for tamales before. If it is too late in the day though, they are out of them.

Go to your mailbox in the next day or two and you will have tamales! LOL! They come by mail sometimes.

This is the funniest thing b/c I said to MTM, "When you go to that Mexican store to deliver mail today, buy tamales. He did and guess what............he left (fresh ones) at the post office with his water bottles.....He DID what he was asked :) but it didn't come home :) men :) I'll wait for the mail :) Crubs

Funny. Let me know when you get them....I have some directions for you. I should have put the directions ionthe box. I will PM them to you so as soon as you get them you will know what to do with them;)

I'm trying to keep a banana tree alive and now I'm going to tackle tamales.I'm trying to work on a mailman who said YESTERDAY...."I KNOW HOW TO BOX THIS. I'm a professional!" He looked like a complete idiot re-packaging it in the parking lot of the post office with peanuts flying everywhere. I couldn't resist ~ when he came out of the post office I said," Have you figured out what you're a professional at?" I almost died laughing when he said,"I AM GOING TO BE A LANDSCAPER ~ I'll be good at that!" he has planted shamrock seeds. I thought he was a mailman, not a landscaper. Guess I got lost in the shuffle. :) Curbie

Gardenforums.com is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com

Back