Thoughts on my rose bushes?

GardenForums.com a friendly and growing community of gardeners. We feature a Garden Discussion Forum and Garden Photo Gallery. It's a fun and friendly place to talk with other gardeners, ask questions, share you knowledge, view and post photos and more! Whether you're a master gardener, or brand new to the hobby, you'll find something of interest here.

Tim in PA

We have three knockout roses and one other type of rose. No idea what kind. Pictures of them are below. Can I prune these now? Should I? How do they look to you? I think we planted them back in 2010.

IMG_20120322_174335.png

IMG_20120322_174349.png

you could prune them back now are you past getting freezes? if so then go ahead. I live in the south and I rarely have to prune. they look fine to me.

I think there is a slight chance of freeze still but we have had an insanely warm winter so far.

Any tips on pruning these? Or link to another post on the site?

never prune more than 1/4 of the plant. Try to keep your cuts above any areas where there appears have been pruning that caused several shoots at that point. In the top picture, you see the center main stalk that branches out to about 3 or 4 stems. If you cut below that branching point, that entire stem will most likely die, but could be cut back severely and possibly survive. Just depends.. You can prune the smaller stems coming from it to with in 1 inch of that junction point to insure you save the stem if you want to. However if you want the height to be much lower, then I would take that center stem out or cut about 1/2 of it out as it looks like a sucker from the main plant anyway. It would make the plant more symmetrical and you would be able to shape it back into a bush.Once again you risk that stem completely dying. Sometimes freeze or pest damage can cause a sucker to shoot up like that. As with most bush type plants, it may do the plant better to remove it. I looks like the one to the far right was cut back at maybe last year and managed to survive. Your options vary depending on the actual look you want.
may sure to always deadhead your roses to keep the plant producing;)

Last edited:
I would start by removing all the deadwood down to just above the graft!
Weak stems with small leaves would be next!

Gardenforums.com is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com

Back