tips on growing orchids at home

GardenForums.com a friendly and growing community of gardeners. We feature a Garden Discussion Forum and Garden Photo Gallery. It's a fun and friendly place to talk with other gardeners, ask questions, share you knowledge, view and post photos and more! Whether you're a master gardener, or brand new to the hobby, you'll find something of interest here.

abbyrain

I bought phalaenopsis plants from Orchid Republic when I was in Los Angeles last week. Any tips on how to take care of these orchids? Planning to put them near the windows.

I grow mine in windows that face east....and not too close to the windows!
I water weekly and bit more often when they develop a flowering stems! Rotate the pots every other day so they plant doesn't become one sided....this helps the flowering stems to remain more or less upright.....use bamboo stakes to hold the stems upright just in case....the flowers can be heavy so staking helps.
At this point I fertilize using a water soluable type fertilizer....10-30-15 or similar ratio is good at half strength, every other week!
When watering I take them to the sink and let the water run out the bottom of the pot. This helps flush out built up minerals from the potting mix, let the pot drain then flush again.
Potting mix I use is made up of bark, charcoal and perlite, as well as small chunks of wood.....

Sorry for the late response. I just got busy. Anyways, my pots contain a bark mix with perlite and rocks. I like your idea about rotating the pots. Thanks!

While growing orchids at home, just remember to clean the windows very often in order to generate proper transmission of light.

Gardenforums.com is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com

Back