Toasting White Bread

GardenForums.com a friendly and growing community of gardeners. We feature a Garden Discussion Forum and Garden Photo Gallery. It's a fun and friendly place to talk with other gardeners, ask questions, share you knowledge, view and post photos and more! Whether you're a master gardener, or brand new to the hobby, you'll find something of interest here.

mr_yan

Lately I've been making a lot of bread. We eat a lot of bread, toasted or not but mostly as toast, and have only bought one loaf since Christmas.

Anyway this is the recipe I've used since I ran out of whole wheat flour:

preferment:
300 g water
300 g AP flour
pinch of yeast

Dough:
310 g water
9 g instant dry yeast
31 g sugar (I've used this amount for white sugar, brown sugar, and honey with equal success)
7 g salt
53 g veg oil
700 g flour (I've gone as high as 200 g of this as whole wheat in this recipe)

Using my stand mixer I run it on "stir" until homogeneous then bump it to the next higher speed (2 on my kitchen aid) for 2 minutes and yes I time it.

20 minutes for first rise in oiled bowl

Fold

15 minutes for second rise

Fold and shape for two loaf pans

Rise in pans until dough is just proud of the top of the pans

Bake 45 mins at 350 F

When I started with this recipe it was the "Toasting White Bread" in the book The Complete Book of Breads by Bernard Clayton Jr. I've changed some things - well almost all of it.

RonsGarden

Super Moderator
Staff member
Sounds great!
I have one of those bread makers but do not bake it in the machine, I prefer loaf pans in the oven.

mr_yan

We had a bread machine but gave it away. What is the point of one when you were making bread weekly for two years and never used it? I did finally get a stand mixer though. So far I've made 14 batches of bread in it this year. Each batch I make uses 1 kg of flour.

I forgot to mention in the recipe I do a 9 hour ish pre-ferment when I do it. Start it before I go to work. Most of the time I don't do the pre-ferment step though

Gardenforums.com is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com