tomato plants drying out??

GardenForums.com a friendly and growing community of gardeners. We feature a Garden Discussion Forum and Garden Photo Gallery. It's a fun and friendly place to talk with other gardeners, ask questions, share you knowledge, view and post photos and more! Whether you're a master gardener, or brand new to the hobby, you'll find something of interest here.

dragunzgirl

Ok we just planted our tomato plants yeasterday, well today 3 out of the 10 we planted looks like they are dieing all ready. They look dried up and falling over with leaf's that look dried up maybe wilted... They were FINE when i bought them.... we water them alot today to cause they look like they dired out. So what might cause this?

Last edited:

dragunzgirl

Transplant shock?????

mmmm, what would cause that tho??? maybe i hurt the roots when putting there? are they going to be ok? there only like 9-12 inches high, there still babies :(

should i of waited till they were older?? i have never had this happen to me before ever..

Last edited:

Gloria

Super Moderator
Staff member
It's not unusual for tomatoes to droop when transplanted. Are they in direct sun? How warm is it? If this is in a bed, you might try shading them a bit till they get over the shock. I break a bushy branch of some sort and stick in the ground beside the plant. If in a pot, move to an area where they get morning sun only for a couple days. My hubby and I planted 1000 plants so far. Some drooped, but in a day or so began to perk up and doing good. Unforunately we had a hail storm and lost about half the plants but we have enough transplants in the greenhouse to replace them.

dragunzgirl

It's not unusual for tomatoes to droop when transplanted. Are they in direct sun? How warm is it? If this is in a bed, you might try shading them a bit till they get over the shock. I break a bushy branch of some sort and stick in the ground beside the plant. If in a pot, move to an area where they get morning sun only for a couple days. My hubby and I planted 1000 plants so far. Some drooped, but in a day or so began to perk up and doing good. Unforunately we had a hail storm and lost about half the plants but we have enough transplants in the greenhouse to replace them.

its in a bed in the yard. There is direct sun in the morning. Its around the 90's now here. Im in GA.

KallieLashay

My cukes did that. All 6 of them died. My squash all of a sudden died the other day and I have no idea why. The other plants are fine.

Crabbergirl

Super Moderator
Staff member
I cut palmetto fronds with a long stem. Then I position them so they shade the new transplants. That way they are in the garden but they have time to adjust to their new conditions. Once they have been in the garden a week or so I remove the palmettos.

KallieLashay

This could, I doubt, but could be from root worms. If you think you have done everything right and they died for no reason then consider root worms. These worms tangle up your roots in knots. But you will have to pull out one of the plants to see if this is the problem. I am thinking that's what happened to my squash.

dragunzgirl

kk well we had to replace some of the plants and we did. Well 1 of the new ones re replaced with is not dieing... and well 2 of the ones we had before that was doing good is now dieing.. I just dont know whats going on...

I took a pic of this tomato plant, we planted this one with the first planting time and its now showing signs of wanting to die.
DSC03536-1.jpg

Gloria

Super Moderator
Staff member
If you're watering the plants..do it only in the early morning or very late afternoon. If you water during the mid-day and while the sun is baking down, getting water on the leaves tends to burn leaves. If you're only planting a small garden, it's better to use a soaker hose.

dragunzgirl

dad did mix some fertalizer in the soil before planting. Its not a huge garden but its a nice size for us. We are only watering in morning or night.

I got a pic of the bag, there little white balls.

DSC03537.jpg

Last edited:

Gloria

Super Moderator
Staff member
WOW...all purpose 34% NITROGEN!!! No wonder your plants looked burned. If you use fertilizer, 5% nitrogen is enough. It's usually labeled 5-10-10 which means 5% nitrogen, 10% phosphorus and 10% potasium. Fertilizer can be purchased with higher amounts of these ingredients but for tomatoes I've found 5-10-10 works best. Nitrogen is good for giving the plant a boost and a nice shade of green color but too much is fatal.

KallieLashay

If you just cut off the brown leaves, it will be fine. I had one alot bigger than that and after I got rid of the dead leaves it thrived. If you leave the dead leaves on there then yes it will kill the plant.

KallieLashay

Holy crap...that is alot of nitrogen. I don't know any plant that needs that much..lol. Oh well I'm sure it will do okay once the dead leaves are gone!

Gardenforums.com is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com