Tomato Problem Solver

GardenForums.com a friendly and growing community of gardeners. We feature a Garden Discussion Forum and Garden Photo Gallery. It's a fun and friendly place to talk with other gardeners, ask questions, share you knowledge, view and post photos and more! Whether you're a master gardener, or brand new to the hobby, you'll find something of interest here.

Mainegal

Super Moderator
Staff member
Thanks, I'll be starting my tomatoes in about 3-4 months. Too far away...Sure wish it was almost time to plant the seeds. I want to try some of the ones that you and Randy grow. They sound yummy.

Crabbergirl

Super Moderator
Staff member
I planted Heirlooms this year and they still have fruit on them. We have had 2 light freezes and several frost and they look good. I can't believe it. My worst problem is late blight. But this yearwith the heirlooms I had no problem.
When Fay blew us around we flooded for so long that when the sun came out it boiled everything. But these tomatoes survived!
Thanks for the link I'm sure I will be needing it.

Flower4Yeshua

Super Moderator & vegemm
Staff member
Also Heirlooms here....They really are the best tasting tomatoes....have not grown a one I was not happy with...
Laurie I di think you are talking about the sungold...they are a wonderful littlecherry type tomatoe...I think I have some more seeds...I can send them along to you if you wouldlike

Mainegal

Super Moderator
Staff member
Debe
Yes that is what I think they are called. I would love some seeds. I know it was either you or Randy that sid they had some extra seeds they could share with me. No rush on them.. You can put them in my Christmas card if you send them this yr

Dor

I need some help. This is my first year growing tomatoes from seeds. I have some that are coming up but then they droop and fall over. I mist them everyday and have them on a heat mat. What am I doing wrong. I sure want them to make it.

Dor

Yes they are falling over at soil level. Ok I will stop misting them and just water. So far I have lost two. I hope I don't lose any more. Thanks for the link Ron.

Last edited:

Crabbergirl

Super Moderator
Staff member
One thing you can do is when they fall over let them be , cover the stem that is on the ground with soil, restake or cage the top of the plat. Tomatoes will root from their main stalk and this will give you a healthier sturdier plant base. It also causes more bushing and less lank;)

Jade

To forget how to dig the earth and how to till the soil is to forget ourselves. Ghandi

We watched Ghandi over the weekend. It has probably been the first time in 15 years for me to watch it. Great movie, great man.

Dor

One thing you can do is when they fall over let them be , cover the stem that is on the ground with soil, restake or cage the top of the plat. Tomatoes will root from their main stalk and this will give you a healthier sturdier plant base. It also causes more bushing and less lank;)

These are the tiny seedlings only a few days old Crabbergirl. They are so delicate. I haven't touched them, just let the new ones come up around the ones that have fallen over.

I just checked them and the soil is dry but two more have fallen over. At this rate looks like I will not be growing my tomatoes from seed after all. I really wanted to do that. The seed starting mix is new and I used Peat pots. I am so confused as to what is wrong. If it is a disease where is it coming from. I have them on a metal shelf, in a tray and on a heat mat.

Randy

Super Moderator
Staff member
To forget how to dig the earth and how to till the soil is to forget ourselves. Ghandi

We watched Ghandi over the weekend. It has probably been the first time in 15 years for me to watch it. Great movie, great man.

I remember when he was alive. He went by two different names; Mahatma Ghandi and Mohandis K. Ghandi.

plantlover

I know it is early for any tomato problems for most of us. But thought I would add a link to this site that has so much information.
http://aggie-horticulture.tamu.edu/tomatoproblemsolver/index.html

That is the best resource around, bar none! It's got tons of great information! It doesn't just pertain to growing in Texas. It has information about all sorts of diseases and pest problems and ways to deal with them. You can print the thing, too, and keep the printed copy as a resource.

IronKnees

I know it is early for any tomato problems for most of us. But thought I would add a link to this site that has so much information.
http://aggie-horticulture.tamu.edu/tomatoproblemsolver/index.html

That's a great idea! It seems that tomatos are one of those plants that either go great, or some years give you fits. Very good idea to share the link. I have mine up and growing in flats... As always I've started lots of 4th of July plants which I will set out in Wall-O-Water hot houses in another couple of weeks... These are for the fair, and a few main crop plants for later on... Our fair is so early that I have to use every trick in the book to get red ripe ones in time to enter.... Dave

Annette99

Is there any circulation between your heat mat and what you have the seeds and soil in? My propagation mats have a wire racks over them about a inch between the mat and rack that you put your seeds/dirt on.

Dor

I have the heat mat sitting on a wire shelf and the tray with the tomatoes on top of that. I am going to start some more today.

plantlover

Dor, did you use regular potting soil? Most of the time, that stuff doesn't drain well enough. When you plant new ones, try adding a good amount of Perlite and peat moss to your soil mix, or as an alternative, plant the seeds in a soil-less mix altogether. This is awfully late for us to be starting seeds though, since by next week, most places will have their plants outside already.

plantlover

Another thing, use a soil mix without any fertilizer in it...Seeds don't need the fertilizer and you can't tweak the fertilizer for what you intend to grow -- potting soil has a general fertilizer that isn't meant for all plants.

Gardenforums.com is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com