Tomatoes

GardenForums.com a friendly and growing community of gardeners. We feature a Garden Discussion Forum and Garden Photo Gallery. It's a fun and friendly place to talk with other gardeners, ask questions, share you knowledge, view and post photos and more! Whether you're a master gardener, or brand new to the hobby, you'll find something of interest here.

that is about what we are getting every day too!! we eat tomatoe slices with every meal right now, and I've been eating bocacinni salad everyday for breakfast! lol... Best year ever for tomatoes for us! Cucumber too.... Also first year I can ever remember the plants are going to be finishing before the cold weather hits!! there are no more blossoms, just green tomatoes to ripen and very few small cucumbers...then tonight on the news they showed the pumpkins in the farms are all orange already! they said we won't have local pumpkins for halloween now! I wish I had planted an extra crop of cucumbers and tomatoes now....

My pumpkins are turning orange also. I will send some of them down south to Kathryn (Scarez) when they are ready. She hasn't been in here for quite awile, but I see evidence of her appearing on Facebook. I get on Facebook, but I don't get into any of those game things.

My tomatoes are gone. I went to the Farmers Market and bought some and they were horrible. It will be a long time before getting vine ripe tomatoes again. Gives me something to wish for.

I picked quite a few tomatoes yesterday. Today I just picked pears. I picked a couple of 5-gallon buckets full and laid them out on the basement floor to ripen.

I just planted fall tomatoes so maybe I will have some in a few weeks If it will quit raining!!!!

Well I started the plants from seed and they can either be...... Big Boys, Early Girls, or Celebrity. The tomatoes grew at different rates but they all ended up being pretty much the same size.

Wow, that's wonderful! What varieties did you grow?

my oregon springs are finally producing nice tomatoes. They are quite large, and beefsteak shaped. excellent flavor.... next year I may plant a few less of the early girls and a few more of them. the early girl can't be beat though for being early and how many you get! they are just the right size for one persons sandwich too! :)

My tomatoes are taking off

My tomato plants are really getting full of blooms and tomatoes. The foliage is not looking good since the drought but the last few weeks of rain is a big help. I am going to plant some tomatoes in july and August next year so I will have ripe ones by late September and October.

Attachments

• My garden063.jpg
    My garden063.jpg
    128.3 KB · Views: 305
  • My garden065.jpg
    My garden065.jpg
    142.1 KB · Views: 295
  • My garden066.jpg
    My garden066.jpg
    134.4 KB · Views: 300
Out of the clear blue sky, our little cherry tomato plant has ripe tomatoes on it and has grown 3 times the size it was.........Sandi, Dor....what's going on???? Curbie

Don't ask questions Curbie!! just be grateful and enjoy :) I ended up freezing loads of tomatoes, we are still picking plenty every other day or so as well. They are slowing down now though with the nights getting down to about 50F. We will be moving a couple inside hubbys shop, he has a huge south facing window, that should keep the ones on them that are green ripening for a while. Picked 3 nice cucumbers the other day as well...

Curbie, The toms I had sprout naturally did better then those I started indoors thisyear*LOL
I have never seen such a difference in growth.
The ones Istarted indoors are tiny 2 1/2 feet the ones that came up on thier own..produced somewhat.. Just throw the seed down and to assure germination place a soda bottle over with the tops and bottoms cut away.Or just place them in a whole with vermiculite or perlite or sand just in case you can't monitor the watering.
Next season I plant to start many outdoors direct sow.
Eggplant and peppers inside.

What I did to get reds this year...
We are getting 40deg temps here therefore, I have pulled most plants. Before the real low temps, I have pruned all new growth and unwanted leaves everywhere ( I have been topping all cold season long) then took my leaf blower (from a distance!) to stimulate the plants to let them know I want reds. I think it sorta shocks them into thinking reds are wanted, them being pleasers perform.*LOL

Not sure how scientific this is but, I have gotten many reds !

Some older or tiny greens (tiny greens can be pickled, instead of baby sat to turn red) can be taken off to relief some stress and brown bagged in a cool place. ) Not the fridge. Also… not the kitchen window. If using a small bag, not too many per bag. If you have poundage, you can layer them in a box (using brown paper towel is what I would use) none touching the other. Check often nearly every day after the first two days or so. To speed red color you can add an apple or banana, I use apples when I have a large harvest.Don't need banana yukk in my bags*lol

This year we have not had tomato growing weather.It has been in the steady 60s down to 50's for quite some time.My toms have not giving me more then a few sauces, mostly small salads.
Now to look forward to next year,sure is interesting to see what temps we will be getting for winter!
So much for global warming.. This has been the coldest summer in written history!
Surprised we harvested any toms..
SmileyFace2, I haven't had cucumbers for about or more then...a month! Good for you!

Enjoy your toms while you have them...
Kale:)

I still have cukes growing slowly but are still growing, we got lots of rain yesterday and last night and suppose to be close to 70 today and tomorrow, so we'll see if they grow any more before i pull the vines. Got summer squash too

I picked a few cherry tomatoes yesterday and had a truck load of garden mix delivered and spread in my raised garden beds and flower beds. We put it down all the while raining was slowly dropping. I picked two cucumbers and pulled up some of the okra and tomatoes plants that had perished in the drought. I picked some speckled butterbeans and okra too. Just in time as it rained throughout the night and is coming down now.

(Smiley)=Don't ask questions Curbie!! ........yes, ma'am :) Kale, we used to wrap green toms in newspaper and they would ripen by about Thanksgiving/Christmas-ish. Dor, I love to cook butterbeans with sausage and tomatoes.Plop some cheese on top and great winter meal! ~ C.

Tomatoes that are garden sown have a longer tap root as opposed to fibrous root mass. In most cases the tomatoes manage just fine either way, but apparently something in your garden this season, Kale, made that tap root the better root system to have.

Gardenforums.com is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com

Back