Top 10 Plants For Bees

GardenForums.com a friendly and growing community of gardeners. We feature a Garden Discussion Forum and Garden Photo Gallery. It's a fun and friendly place to talk with other gardeners, ask questions, share you knowledge, view and post photos and more! Whether you're a master gardener, or brand new to the hobby, you'll find something of interest here.

M

Mary H. Dyer

Bees play a vital role in the environment, and you can help them out by planting a diverse variety of bee-friendly plants to attract a variety of bees throughout the season. A few quick tips: Bees are attracted to color, especially violet, purple, yellow, blue and white. Single flowers generally produce more nectar than double blooms and are easier for bees to reach inside.

Choose local native plants as often as possible, which are easy to grow and well adapted to your growing conditions. By all means, use no pesticides if you want to attract bees. Here are 10 bee-friendly plants to grow in your garden.

1. Penstemon (Penstemon spp.) – Bees (and a host of other beneficial insects), are highly attracted to the bell-shaped blooms of penstemon, also known as beard tongue. Look for penstemon in shades of lavender, red, pink and white. Zones 3-9.

2. Russian sage (Perovskia atriplicifolia) – Russian sage is only a cousin to sage and is actually more closely related to mint. That matters little though, because this tall, tough, drought-tolerant plant is a bee favorite that blooms throughout much of the spring and summer. Zones 5-10.

3. Anise hyssop (Agastache foeniculum) – The pinkish-blue spikes of anise hyssop are real bee magnets, especially when planted en masse. For this reason, anise hyssop has long been a favorite of beekeepers. Zones 4-9.

4. Purple coneflower (Echinacea purpurea) – Bees are crazy about purple coneflower, a tough, heat-tolerant wildflower native to the prairies of the central and eastern United States. Purple is the traditional color, but coneflower is also available in pink, gold, green, orange, yellow, red and white. Zones 3-9.

5. Bee balm (Monarda) – Bee balm is a lovely little herb with fragrant, colorful blooms that attract bees and butterflies. Look for this stunner in shades of lavender, violet, pink and white. (Red is also available, but is less attractive to bees.) Zones 4-9.

6. Hollyhocks (Alcea rosea) – A tall, traditional bloomer that towers over the garden, hollyhock is difficult for bees to resist – and people too! Plant a block of at least three hollyhocks for a dazzling display. Zones 3-8

7. Shasta daisy (Leucanthemum x superbum) – A classic favorite with pure white petals surrounding a bright yellow “eye,” shasta daisy is among the most bee-friendly plants. This prolific bloomer is easy to grow and relatively drought-tolerant. Zones 4-9

8. Perennial sunflower (Helianthus spp.) – This is great fun to grow and bees (and birds) will love you for it. Although we tend to think of sunflowers as giants, this old favorite is available in a vast range of sizes and colors. Zones 4-8

9. Bachelor’s buttons (Centaurea spp.) – Also known as cornflower, bachelor’s buttons sport fluffy blooms that attract bees like crazy. Although deep, intense blue is the traditional color, bachelor’s buttons are also available in maroon, purple, white or pink. Zones 3-10

10. Globe thistle (Echinops spp.) Closely related to the artichoke, globe thistle blooms in mid-summer, which is perfect timing for many species of bees. Zones 3-8

The post Top 10 Plants For Bees appeared first on Gardening Know How's Blog.

Continue reading...

Bob's bonus plant - 11. Lavender - It blooms all summer long and bees can't get enough of it. When I water mine, I gently mist it at first and it's common to see 20 or 30 bees fly out of the way in mild annoyance as I water.

DSC_3401-Edit-2.JPG

Late season bloomers are great to include as well. Ones I've noticed that are popular are: Caryopteris and Hepticodium (Seven Sons flower).

A bonus for monarda Jacob Kline is that hummers love it too!

That’s the one downside of Lavender, hummingbirds don’t seem to like it, at least not my local ones. I wonder if the shape isn’t right or something?

Bob's bonus plant - 11. Lavender - It blooms all summer long and bees can't get enough of it. When I water mine, I gently mist it at first and it's common to see 20 or 30 bees fly out of the way in mild annoyance as I water.

View attachment 13522
love this picture with the bee. I sometimes get them in my pictures but don't see them till I put the picture on the computer.

Reactions: bob
love this picture with the bee. I sometimes get them in my pictures but don't see them till I put the picture on the computer.

Thank you! Getting that shot was a lot of work. Finding a bee was easy, they love the stuff. But getting him in focus while keeping the background soft was a real challenge. Lots of "close but no cigar" shots before I had one with the sharpness I wanted.

Gailardia are wonderful bee friendly perennials. I grow the Arizona variety. They stay short...under 12 inches and are less invasive then the standard varieties! Native small bees love them as well as honey bees.

Gardenforums.com is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com

Back