Tree in trouble / help identify plz

GardenForums.com a friendly and growing community of gardeners. We feature a Garden Discussion Forum and Garden Photo Gallery. It's a fun and friendly place to talk with other gardeners, ask questions, share you knowledge, view and post photos and more! Whether you're a master gardener, or brand new to the hobby, you'll find something of interest here.

ivanjay205

Hi all,

I bought this house last year and have one tree that puzzles me. Bark looks like it is peeling and leaves not so great but not sure.

home was vacant for months in the summer
Without watering so landscaping was in rough shape. But with us taking over end of summer and good through spring this far everything (grass, trees, etc) is back to looking great except for this one...

Any advice bringing it back and identifying would be appreciated!
nyze7y7u.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hi and welcome to our forum!
A close up of the foliage and bark would definitely help in identifying you tree!

Juniper!
It is a fairly old tree!
The loose bark is normal for junipers.
You might want to cut all the small stumps of dead wood, that someone left after a bad attempt at pruning, to clean up the trunk.
Just cut back close to the trunk.
The foliage looks fine.
How does the top of the tree look?

Tops of each branch have that nice bluish colored leaves. But under is pretty consistently brown leaves. Maybe 20-30 percent of the tree and there are some dead branches up high for sure. But it is a lot thixker up top, sparse at the bottom

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Gardenforums.com is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com

Back