trimmed my roses today ..but

GardenForums.com a friendly and growing community of gardeners. We feature a Garden Discussion Forum and Garden Photo Gallery. It's a fun and friendly place to talk with other gardeners, ask questions, share you knowledge, view and post photos and more! Whether you're a master gardener, or brand new to the hobby, you'll find something of interest here.

R

RiverRock

when i was trimming my roses i found somthing interesting. I just planted these roses last year so this is my first time trimming. But it was easy to tell were the winter has killed parts of it by the black branches...but what boggled my brain was when i saw black branches with new branches growing out of them above the black. Is that normal? Should I cut it all out or let it grow and see what happens?

RR

oremudpie

Hummmmmmm!!!
I'm not sure there is such a thing as normal in the northwest..If the new growth is healthy leave it alone..I cut my family of roses back heavy a month ago but did not see what you saw...I had my husband trim some dead wood off a mini last winter, well it had tiny shoots on it so in a pot it went and in the ground is another pink mini this year it even bloomed in the summer..
I wouldn't worry about it..
Happy roses,
melanie

latebloomer

I've had this happen too. Its usually mildew. If the growth is healthy...leave it and treat for mildew when you get a dry spell.

K

Kale

Very Interesting RR!!

What did you do and what happened?

Kale:)

Gardenforums.com is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com