Tulips in a pot? Inside or outside?

GardenForums.com a friendly and growing community of gardeners. We feature a Garden Discussion Forum and Garden Photo Gallery. It's a fun and friendly place to talk with other gardeners, ask questions, share you knowledge, view and post photos and more! Whether you're a master gardener, or brand new to the hobby, you'll find something of interest here.

prr

I just got some beautiful tulips (they are in full bloom) and would like to plant them. Of course I know that they are usually grown in the ground, outdoors, but I'm wondering--they look so nice:
1. Can tulips be grown in a pot, or do they have to be in the ground?
2. If in a pot, can they be grown indoors?

RonsGarden

Super Moderator
Staff member
You will need to start feeding the tulips! Feeding them will help them develop a new bulb that will bloom next yeat. Keep the soil moist until the foliage starts to fade, then stop watering and let them dry out, once the foliage turns brown you can snip the stems down, and store the pot away until early fall, then you can plant the bulbs in the garden.

prr

I take it you don't like the idea of keeping them indoors? or even outdoors in a pot?

You will need to start feeding the tulips! Feeding them will help them develop a new bulb that will bloom next yeat. Keep the soil moist until the foliage starts to fade, then stop watering and let them dry out, once the foliage turns brown you can snip the stems down, and store the pot away until early fall, then you can plant the bulbs in the garden.

RonsGarden

Super Moderator
Staff member
Paul
Potted tulips are considered a disposible product unless they are planted in the garden!
Most poeple who buy them throw them out after the blooms are finished.
But, as I memtioned you can save them and plant them!
In order for the bulbs can flower they require an extended period of cold temperatures and the best place for them is in the garden under natural seasonal conditions.

prr

OK Ron, thanks again. We'll definitely plant them somewhere outside after the period of caring that you suggested. They really are beautiful.

Paul
Potted tulips are considered a disposible product unless they are planted in the garden!
Most poeple who buy them throw them out after the blooms are finished.
But, as I memtioned you can save them and plant them!
In order for the bulbs can flower they require an extended period of cold temperatures and the best place for them is in the garden under natural seasonal conditions.

Gardenforums.com is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com