Unusual Hobbies???

Affiliate Disclosure: We may receive a commision from some of the links and ads shown on this website (Learn More Here)

Crabbergirl

Super Moderator
Staff member
Do you have an unusual hobby or collection of things? Post here so we can chat about the things we collect.
I happen to be a glass/bottle hunter ; meaning that I seek out old farm dumps and landfils for antique bottles and glass. I have 100's of bottles and jars all well over 100 years old.
I recently found what is termed "snake oil remedy". It says "Dr. Tobis Ventetian Liniment " I found it in an 1800's ferry slip . I also just found a Fresnel Lense from an old train lantern. I often hunt the river banks and back wash creeks. It is a fun hobby and sometime unsatisfying but when you do find what your looking for it's great. What is really fun is to find a type or kind of glass you have never seen before , then the hunt is on to find out what you actually have.

This sound's fun Crabbergirl.I saw on tv just the other night some guy's digging up old outhouse's they found some pretty old glass bottle's.Some were expensive.There's an old log cabin site just down the road from me I wish I knew where the old outhouse was I would get my son to help see if there was any old glass in it.I like to collect the old green glass bottle's.

Our best bottle find was in the garage an old Abbott's Bitters bottle with its top and a complete label. Bill is big into digging and collecting bottles. I am more into collecting plants. As a family we collect fossils and gems.

Crabbergirl

Super Moderator
Staff member
What color is it? With a Fresnel lens it sounds like a lens from a switch lantern. Typically those would be red or green, with some yellow ones.
It is Red. I dated it to the 20's through the internet. It was one of those days where I had been hunting for most of the day with no luck and I just by chance dug up something that caught my eye and there it was!

Crabbergirl

Super Moderator
Staff member
Our best bottle find was in the garage an old Abbott's Bitters bottle with its top and a complete label. Bill is big into digging and collecting bottles. I am more into collecting plants. As a family we collect fossils and gems.
Abbots bitters is cool. Bitters bottles always are in high demand,expecially if they are amber.
A side line form the bottles is always fossils and other artifacts. We find a lot of spear points and pottery shards. Florida , especially central Florida has a lot of pre-historic fossils. We have a lot of springs and sink holes that offer up a lot of stuff. I actually found a 2" mastodon tooth in the river.

Kya D

I collect old bottles too. I have hundreds of them. Some like clorox bottles that are brown and some really old ones.
But I have more fun collecting old Jars. I have some real nice ones. I use them for canisters and for decorations in my country Kitchen
Spider lily if you know anyone who has a metal detector they can unsally find the outhouse. Sotra seems that when you take your pants down you have a problem loosing coins etc out of you pockets. Once the metal detector locates the outhouse or old trash dumps then maybe you will find glass too.

Can you tell what this is found it during the Summer walking down our dirt road.Looks like a crest of some kind it has wingsand a wheel shape in the middle with looks like the steering of an old boat around the edge on back it looks like an old button or pin attachment with a G23 engraved on it.Any clues I have looked on the net and found nothing like it.

Attachments

Kya D

I have a bunch of different hobbies. I do all kinds of crafts and collect lots of different things.
I collect pre 50's kitchen items. Seed packets, utensils, old 63 jars, lids, and rings.
I collect Barbed wire and have a pretty cool collection
I collect a certain small vase from the 30's
I'm sure I collect tons of other stuff but that is all I can think of for now.

bob

Administrator
Staff member
It is Red. I dated it to the 20's through the internet. It was one of those days where I had been hunting for most of the day with no luck and I just by chance dug up something that caught my eye and there it was!
Nice find, but how did you date it? Was there a marking or other indication of the date? Possibly you tracked the date by the location?

The reason I ask is that while the 1920's date sounds quite reasonable, they were very common through the 40's and 50's.

In fact, you can still buy them from the original manufacturer today, though they're only sold as collector's items these days:
http://www.adlake.com/products_collectibles.php

I've got a couple of the old switch lanterns here in the house, including one on top of a bookshelf about 2 feet away from me... I'd have to take it apart to look for any markings on the glass though, and that's more work than I'd like to tackle at the moment.

On a related note, have you ever read the book about the Florida East Coast Railway?

There used to be a joke about a dim witted hi-jacker. He gets on to an Amtrak train and says "Take this train to Cuba!"

Good for a laugh, but did you know that you actually could take a train to Cuba at one time? The FEC ran down the Florida Keys, on the route that later became Highway 1. At the end of the keys, they'd transfer the sleeping cars to a car ferry (ship that carries railroad cars, like an auto ferry) and take them to Cuba. So you could actually get on a sleeping car in New York and ride to Havanna.

The book "Last Train to Paradise" is one of several good books covering the line. Here's a link to it: http://www.railroadbookstore.com/railroad/shop.php?k=1400049474&c=History

More books on the Florida East Coast Railway:
http://www.railroadbookstore.com/railroad/shop.php?k=florida+&c=History

PS - In case you think this is a shameless plug for the bookstore, the "Paradise" book is currently selling for a whopping $6.50... Yes, I would get a small commision if you buy it through that link, but I'd probably just blow the whole thing super-sizing an order of fries. :)

Last edited:

Crabbergirl

Super Moderator
Staff member
Can you tell what this is found it during the Summer walking down our dirt road.Looks like a crest of some kind it has wingsand a wheel shape in the middle with looks like the steering of an old boat around the edge on back it looks like an old button or pin attachment with a G23 engraved on it.Any clues I have looked on the net and found nothing like it.
My first guess was a button. It looks like it could have been as recent as the 1900's . can you get a better picture to post both front and back? You might try searching it under family crest or look at a site for ancestory.

Crabbergirl

Super Moderator
Staff member
I have a bunch of different hobbies. I do all kinds of crafts and collect lots of different things.
I collect pre 50's kitchen items. Seed packets, utensils, old 63 jars, lids, and rings.
I collect Barbed wire and have a pretty cool collection
I collect a certain small vase from the 30's
I'm sure I collect tons of other stuff but that is all I can think of for now.
I have some old kitchen items too. I have twist nut crackers and hand juicers made of tin. I really like my old pie tins which I have hanging on my walls. I have a prong tenderizer too that has a wooden base.

Crabbergirl

Super Moderator
Staff member
BOB,
I want to read the books. I do read a lot of southern related books especially those with that type of content. Don't mind you getting a little kick back either:D I lived in Key West & the Lower Keys in the 70's & 80's and do know about the overseas railroad.

I dated the lense by the markings and numbers along with the name and if I remeber it was an Embery but don't remember the # I put it up on a high window shelf that is about 20 feet ( we have an open 2/12 story great room with 2 huge fixed glass windows up to the roof line) up so it can catch the sunlight. Really cool reflection too.

Crabbergirl

Super Moderator
Staff member
Wow! I also have ceramic Chickens in my kitchen. And I have a ton of pre 1950's cookbooks and such that were my Moms. I have one called "Searchlight" and I use it a lot. It has the easiest from scratch cake mix.

Crabbergirl

Super Moderator
Staff member
LOL! Yes they require extra special prep! However if you do come for dinner, ( which if ever in the area you are very welcome) usually it's fish or some type of seafood and not the ceramic kind.

Randy

Super Moderator
Staff member
We're having grilled tilapia filets this evening and I will have leftovers enough to do that tilapia fettuccine recipe later. I have been trying to incorporate more fish into the Cobb/Sanders diet and I have been successful so far as far as the family liking what I fixed. But tonight, I have 2 corndogs that I will nuke for Alec as I am sure he will not care for the tilapia. But he has surprised me before.

Wow! I also have ceramic Chickens in my kitchen. And I have a ton of pre 1950's cookbooks and such that were my Moms. I have one called "Searchlight" and I use it a lot. It has the easiest from scratch cake mix.
The Searchlight cookbook is a classic! Most of the old cookbooks have the best recipes. Would love to see your books and chickens....pics?

Gardenforums.com is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com