Upcoming Spring Planting

GardenForums.com a friendly and growing community of gardeners. We feature a Garden Discussion Forum and Garden Photo Gallery. It's a fun and friendly place to talk with other gardeners, ask questions, share you knowledge, view and post photos and more! Whether you're a master gardener, or brand new to the hobby, you'll find something of interest here.

Markymark

I posted my list for comments etc, plus I think it's great to share the varieties one is growing because the colors of fruits/veges I've never seen before is just amazing too me.

This so far is what I'm gonna be planting for my up coming season (I know some may be fruit so I apologies, I just wanted to get some opinion on what I'm growing):

Cherry Tomatoes here is the Black Sea Man variety - The colors of these include chocolate, white, red, pink, yellow, and bicolor cherry tomatoes. I've got 6 Topsy Turvys that I got for $2.50/e at Biglots, so I figured for $15 I'd give them a try, the Aphids worked me over time last season, so I thought I'd give these a try and see if I can control them a bit better.
Litchi Tomato - This is just such an interesting plant, here is a youtube at 4:42 he talks about the Litchi tomato btw. Also, this will last in zones 9a/b (that I'm aware of). So from what I understand this may be the first producer in the garden when it starts warming up, also this is an invasive plant with thorns EVERYWHERE. So depending on where you live it can be a good thing to keep critters away from them (I've read of people lining areas of their yard with this plant to keep unwanted guest out).
Purple Jalapenos and Yellow Jalapeno
cilantro
Mini bell pepper and other color - Colors include Red, Yellow, Orange, White, and the extra color I ordered looked like a really nice dark type which is claimed to be a Chocolate Color.
cucumbers - I decided on this FanFare variety because of the size, I figured it'd be a quicker ripen, and not so much it goes to compost from left over.
easter eggplant I know someone is playing on words to sell this over priced seed (IMO), however the plant looks so cool I've been suckered in :/
Red onions (I haven't decided on a variety yet)
Carrots - Nice color of carrots. I like trying to grow the rainbow.
Wonderberry - This is just such a interesting plant I had to try it for myself, I can't seem to find a whole lot of information about this plant so which is why I'll plant some out this season and try them. If anyone wants some seeds let me know, I doubt I could even handle 50 seeds worth of plants lol.

(I have a room I can plant inside the house, so these ones I was thinking about planting inside so they don't get too hot and maybe grow during they're off season. Which is probably going to house a small aquaponics system)
Celery - a red/pink variety that looks fun to grow.
Brocolli - I'm gonna be growing the purple variety cause I've read/heard it taste better.
Cauliflower It comes with an orange, purple, and green types. The picture looks Photoshopped but I'm okay with trying it out for a few bucks.
Nancy Buttercrunch Lettuce - My family says this is a great tasting lettuce (I have Arugula and Romaine planted right now)

Last edited:
I'm going to cut back on planting this coming year. I won't plant so many peppers as I didn't use a lot of the ones I had before. But I planted close to 100 plants and that was kind of ridiculous. I will plant a fair amount of beans and corn though. I can always take the extra stuff to the nursing home that I visit.

I'm gonna plant corn and pinto beans as well (I have seeds for them saved from last season). But yes, I grew 2-3 jalapenos, and 2 Anaheim peppers and at the end of the season I ended up dehydrating about 5 lbs of each and then blended them into a rough powder so I can add as a seasoning while cooking. I am quite happy with them so far. But like you mentioned I will probably not grow more than necessary. I like following the square foot gardening methods for most plants, besides tomatos/corn/broccoli/cauliflower I pretty much grow everything else with sq ft gardening.

I forgot to add this
Trinidad Scorpion - This is supposed to be the worlds hottest pepper, I doubt I can handle it but one of my Uncles had made a special request. I've already germinated and have some starting leafs on it. I'm gonna keep it potted until the last frost date and toss it in my garden. I will probably grow a few more so I can dehydrate them and maybe sell them since they are kinda rare to the average gardener.

Last edited:
I use some of the habanero peppers and they are plenty hot for me. I like to grow the Anaheims too along with Pablano and California Wonder bell peppers. For the hotter ones I like the Jalapeno and serrano peppers. I didn't make any salsa last year but still have some in jars from the year before. I made one batch (four gallons) of medium salsa for my son-in-law and he has used it all up, but it took him over a year.

Hi Mark,
I am interested in hearing how both the Litchi Tomato & Wonderberry work out for you. Very interesting fruits. I have never seen a tomato with thorns before and the fact that it is a zone 9 producer really makes me take notice.

Sounds like you are off to a good start.Not knowing what your zone is, I would suggest you wait for a cool season for you Celery. It really like it cool . In Florida we must wait until winter to plant celery , and then even , as it is now it may not have a long enough cold spell. Mine have just started looking good and I planted them in Oct. It has just been too hot. I will try to get a pic for you and post on Monday.
Also I have found that cutting the ends off of either 1lt plastic bottles or buying sections of 4" PVC pipe , works well to keep the plants standing upright and producing the stalks you are use to. I plant either the seeds or my seedlings, then twist one end of the bottle in the ground over the plant. Celery tend to fall down if not supported. I have also found that the "sportier" varieties ( colors) tend to not do as well as the conventional ones. So if the colors don't produce well, try standard celery next time.

I am 9b - Funny thing is the Litchi Tomato isn't part of the nightshade family HAH. Well, I planted 3 of them - But apparently I've been planting my starters wrong, I'm gonna have to take some time and get a mix together from now on, I have just been planting in straight FINISHED compost, with a bit of rock dust, and mycorrhiza, and I've had (IMO) good success. That bottle thing is a good idea, so with the PVC technique for the celery does that take too much sun away from them? I figured if I grew the Celery in a Aquaponic setup, the water would roughly be around 55 degrees if I don't heat it and thought keeping the roots around that temp would work. I guess trial and error when it comes to later spring planting.

Last edited:
So if the Litchi, isn't a tomato , what actually is it. Maybe a tomitillo family ?
I run zone 8-10 ,depending on Florida's crazy weather. This season we have had one freeze but it went right back up to the 70's. The cold really boosted the celery though.
Back in the day, when soda bottles were glass, I had no choice but to use 4" PVC. It didn't seem to effect the growth at all. I switched to the plastic bottles and haven't noticed any difference. Now if you go hydro , I am not sure what would be a good root temp. We did have a member here for awhile that was into hydro , but I haven't seen him around lately. I bet he would know the answer.

I'm also going to plant a Chilean Guava (I have a 1 foot plant and some cuttings I'm trying to grow). It was claimed to be the next blueberry, but hasn't realize the calling I suppose. It's a subtropical plant and is impressive with the lows it can handle, from what I can see it can handle lows of 14F. But the thing is it doesn't like HOT weather like 100s. I live in a desert climate so I'm going to have to watch this guy like a hawk. I'm gonna plant it on an east facing wall, so I can give it good morning sun without a ton of evening sun. It grows usually 2-4 feet (it's a bush), and I've read possibly up to 6, but can be trimmed etc. It produces 2lbs in it's 3rd year, and apparently adds on another 2lbs per additional year. Not sure what the max is on the amount of berries, but I've tried some and they are quite an interesting flavor. I have been looking around for a wine made with this berry but it's not been a successful endeavor so far. It's also an evergreen, which makes a nice looking plant year around.

2akeq1z.jpg
qx82dd.jpg

Last edited:
You are inspiring me to start planning my spring. This will be the first spring with my new hip, but I should be almost totally healed by April. I am looking forward to some good gardening with less pain for the first time in years. Hubby needs to put in another raised bed for me, our bean bed has been planted in red raspberries. I expect a big year from them.

You are inspiring me to start planning my spring. This will be the first spring with my new hip, but I should be almost totally healed by April. I am looking forward to some good gardening with less pain for the first time in years. Hubby needs to put in another raised bed for me, our bean bed has been planted in red raspberries. I expect a big year from them.

So LUCKY - What is it with fruit tree's and fruits in general that takes years before they produce? I'm Generation X I WANT IT NOW! I'm working on... considering on... deciding on making another raised bed, the location kinda stumps me right now as I got other spots planned out for fruit trees etc. I'm looking into a dwarf avocado, I have a dwarf lemon and lime tree. I have found some pretty rare additional trees but... getting dwarf varieties is probably going to require a root stock.

I'm wanting to be near completely eating food I grow, that's why I'm looking into aquaponics, plus I read it uses something like 10% of the water compared to a regular garden, who doesn't like a nice fish steak for dinner. OH - I forgot I'm also growing a pumpkin called Kakai (it's from japan). This pumpkin is a hulless seed, you can pull it right out of the pumpkin and just eat it. No shell to worry about. Last season was my first time growing it, and my Aunts live back east (I'm in California), and they came out for Thanksgiving and used them to make pumpkin pies let me just say I was impressed. I was told by the family when my aunt got home she attempted to find my Kakai pumpkin and couldn't find them for another pie! My uncle is a big seed fan, or like snack kind of food peanuts etc. He tried some of my seeds (I roasted the pumpkin seeds) and he said after eat a few bags of them (all of them) I like these better than peanuts! Just amazes me how little I know about different foods in the world.

Last edited:
Cool stuff Mark! I just planted potatoes this weekend. And I am waiting on my seeds to get here. I have to start a thread today about my dirt eggs. I got them all filled yesterday. Come on seeds! This mild winter makes me in that much more of a hurry to play in the dirt!

Have you ever seen this tomato before? I think I may have to grow it!

Indigo Rose
qrx9h0.jpg

"Organic Indigo Rose Tomato - This variety is stunning! We have never seen a black tomato with such a true jet black color. As it ripens the underside turns from green to a rosy red. Flavor is great, strongly acidic and when sliced it looks just like a plum with its deep red flesh. The plants are vigorous and show good field resistance to fungal diseases and blights. The 2 – 2.5 ounce fruit grows on vines with nice clusters of 6-8 fruit. A new variety that is definitely worth a try. Indeterminate (Lycopersicon esculentum)
Days to maturity:80 days"

Organic Seed Website

Last edited:
I don't have any pics of anything of mine. Starting my garden this year. I remeber having one when I was a young kid though.
Anyway I have alot of seed from last year cause it was real cheap. Got 3 pounds of bean seeds and some okra for 5 dollars last weekend. I think it will be okay. Well see.
Also gave alot of seeds to my mom/dad and sister. I still have to many of some. But last years from the coop, so if they don't come up to well I can plant alot of extras too. I also have just as long a list of herbs and flowers. May use some of the herb, but mostly for attracting and repelling insects. Good/bad. Should be colorful.
Should be interesting.

I have planted a
Bing and Tartarian Cherry tree
Red and Golden/Yellow Delicious Apple tree
Keiffer/Barttlet Pear tree. 2 trees for each total 6.
I have 7 blueberry bushes. Patriot, Duke, Climax, Premier

For the garden (have not planted anything yet, couple more months)
Jubilee tomato's
Brandywine tomato's
Better Boy Hybrid tomato's
Large Red Cherry tomato's
Roma II Bush Beans
Dwarf Hort. Bush Beans
Top Crop Bush Beans
Kentucky Wonder Garden Bean
Hale's Best Cantaloupe
Rocky Ford Cantaloupe
Detroit Beets
Conn. Field Pumpkin
Jack O Lantern Pumpkin (for the kiddo, Halloween)
Sugar Baby Watermelon (gonna try watermelon jelly)
Crimson Sweet Watermelon
Sugar Snap Peas
Kandy Korn Sweet Corn
Silver Queen Hybrid Sweet Corn
Black Seeded Simpson Lettuce
Iceburg Lettuce

I am going to cut down on my sunflowers this year. And replace that area with a heirloom cantalope. I am still deciding on a what kind to grow. And I have a variety of french pumpkin seeds to grow. My inlaws have a very large garden, so pumpkins will go up there. I have coneflower roots to plant, but no room-oops. Can I grow them in pots?

KCB,
Welcome! Glad you have joined us. Sounds like you have really thought about your garden. I get really excited this time of the year. I tend to over buy because I just want everything. Wishing you a great garden year!

I am going to cut down on my sunflowers this year. And replace that area with a heirloom cantalope. I am still deciding on a what kind to grow. And I have a variety of french pumpkin seeds to grow. My inlaws have a very large garden, so pumpkins will go up there. I have coneflower roots to plant, but no room-oops. Can I grow them in pots?

The area where you have had your sunflowers...you will most likely need to amend the soil with nitrogen. Sunflower deplete the soil of nutrients. Your cantalopes may require more.:)

You may need to amend your soil for growing cantalope due to sunflowers draining the nutruients from it like nitrogen. You may want to add nitrogen to your area of planting the cantalopes.:)

Gardenforums.com is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com

Back