Upgrades

GardenForums.com a friendly and growing community of gardeners. We feature a Garden Discussion Forum and Garden Photo Gallery. It's a fun and friendly place to talk with other gardeners, ask questions, share you knowledge, view and post photos and more! Whether you're a master gardener, or brand new to the hobby, you'll find something of interest here.

bob

Administrator
Staff member
I've spent all day upgrading the forum and gallery software.
I'm hoping, but dubious, that they fixed the "doesn't play well with Internet Explorer Bug"
I've changed the gallery location so a single login will work in both the forum and gallery.
I've made a few other tweaks and adjustments.

Hopefully things will run smoother. I've still got a bug to swat with the gallery, it's been a royal pain all day long. At the moment you can view the gallery, but not do anything more as the links for things like upload photos aren't there. Tech support for the gallery is working on it.

If you posted a message today (5/18) it may well appear your message was deleted.

No messages were specifically deleted, but messages posted during the time the upgrades were being done (much of the day) messages weren't transferred over.

I don't remember how far back I started using Firefox for browsing, but it got me away from the IE problems and I haven't had any problems with Firefox.

I still recommend either Chrome or Firefox. They're faster and less buggy.

However, I also have to try and make the forum compatible with as many browsers as possible. IE still has a big market share, and having it work correctly is a big deal. I've been annoyed about that bug ever since it appeared.

Between that and getting the photo gallery login to work smoothly, I think I've fixed the big ones.

Thanks Bob!
I noticed that you have a lot more grey hairs since you started the upgrades!

Folks, I've found quite a few bugs in the last week or so. I think I've got them all now, but then again, I thought that on Sunday.

PLEASE! If something isn't working right, or just doesn't seem right, say something! If you click on active topics and still don't see anything, tell me about it. If you find something else that seems like it's not working the way it was designed to, let me know.

I won't be annoyed, in fact I'll appreciate it. Most folks don't bother to say anything, and so we don't know there's a problem. As I discovered today, it's quite possible for something to be broken for regular members and to be working fine for the admin, or even work for members when they log out.

I may end up saying "Sorry, I can't fix that", but at least if I know there's a problem, I can keep working on it. The IE lockup problem took a long time to fix, but we finally got it resolved. Hopefully I can do the same with other bugs.

Thanks Bob!
I noticed that you have a lot more grey hairs since you started the upgrades!

Sometimes I think the software's so buggy it should ship in a "Roach Motel" box. But it's a very complex task, and they do provide good support. I've explored the other options out there, and I haven't found any that are even as good as Vbulletin, let alone better. When you create something so complex, with so many features, there's going to be challenges.

Cool! :D Btw, you did an awesome job setting it up for vB 4 so I can't wait to test out the other stuff. And yeah, I don't understand why people still use IE when there's Firefox but they do. Firefox may be a resource hog but it's def worth it!

I've been happy with it, Mr. Trax. Since I started using it, I hardly ever use IE for anything any more.

Cool! :D Btw, you did an awesome job setting it up for vB 4 so I can't wait to test out the other stuff. And yeah, I don't understand why people still use IE when there's Firefox but they do. Firefox may be a resource hog but it's def worth it!

I totally agree. I use Chrome and love it! But the forum needs to work for Internet Explorer as well, and I can't believe how long it took them to get the problem resolved. I'm sure I lost members when they typed a nice long reply, and then the forum locked up and it was lost. Very annoying, and pretty much unacceptable. Glad to finally have it working properly.

That said, if you're reading this and using Internet Explorer, try Chrome or Firefox, you won't regret it!

I quit using IE years ago. My Geeks put Firefox on my computer and that is all I've used since Of course sometimes you run into a school thing that requires IE then I have to go looking for a computer with it on it. That is very annoying to me. I think I have to do that tomorrow for a school thing.

Gardenforums.com is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com

Back