Venus Fly Traps

GardenForums.com a friendly and growing community of gardeners. We feature a Garden Discussion Forum and Garden Photo Gallery. It's a fun and friendly place to talk with other gardeners, ask questions, share you knowledge, view and post photos and more! Whether you're a master gardener, or brand new to the hobby, you'll find something of interest here.

KallieLashay

If anyone has experience growing these please let me know. I am planning on putting them in little containers and putting around my garden to keep bugs out.

Dor

Kellie where did you buy you Venus fly traps? My ten year old grandson has been asking for one for a couple of years. I haven't been able to find one at the garden centers.

RonsGarden

Super Moderator
Staff member
If anyone has experience growing these please let me know. I am planning on putting them in little containers and putting around my garden to keep bugs out.

They are a lot of work!
1/ they require consistantly wet boggy conditions! You will need to place the pots in a tray filled with water
2/ you cannot use water from the tap, it has to be either distilled, or rain water!
3/ you must not use any fertilizer since they catch their food!
4/ you have to use peatmoss and sphagnum to create the acidic soil conditions they require!
5/ you will need hundreds of them if you plan on using them for any form of insect control since they do not need many bugs in order to survive!
6/ hmm? it would cost you a fortune for the number of plants you would need, and even then they are selective in which bugs they catch!
7/ I know there's one more...
Oh well! After reading the requirements for culture and care you may think twice on whether to continue in this persuit!;)

KallieLashay

Kellie where did you buy you Venus fly traps? My ten year old grandson has been asking for one for a couple of years. I haven't been able to find one at the garden centers.

I bought 10 on ebay bare root for about $28. I can give you the name of the seller if you want. You just have to look for a good deal. We used to sell them at my work for $8 each so it's a good deal.

KallieLashay

Yea I have heard some similiar things but I did have a fellow gardener who said that one plant survived much better with the fly trap around one plant compared to another. So we will see. I can always sell them back on ebay!

Gardenforums.com is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com