Welcome Members from GH

GardenForums.com a friendly and growing community of gardeners. We feature a Garden Discussion Forum and Garden Photo Gallery. It's a fun and friendly place to talk with other gardeners, ask questions, share you knowledge, view and post photos and more! Whether you're a master gardener, or brand new to the hobby, you'll find something of interest here.

Hi Yall! I have been frustrated lately with GH, so I thought I'd come here to chat with some of my friends. Glad that there is an outlet like this.

Welcome to the forum, and thanks for the kind words.

I'm not familiar with GH, so I don't know what the issues are, (and that's fine with me) but I can say that in this forum we listen to the members.

I work very hard to make the forum be what the members want it to be. You may have noticed we've just added an "around the house" section, since quite a few members were requesting that kind of info.

So please feel free to make comments and suggestions. I can't promise I'll do everything folks ask, there are some limitations to the program etc, but I do what I can to make this a friendly and enjoyable place.

Of course the same comments apply to all the members. ;)

Wes, I was completely serious about needing a stiff drink -- even if it is early in the morning. I guess I'll have to settle for some very strong French Roast coffee.

Bob, the biggest issue at GH was the instability of the site and the continual loss of content. I don't mean a little bit of content, I mean many months worth. The site was forced to move to a new server yesterday, I guess, and at the moment, it looks like a huge amount of content, maybe close to a year's worth may have been lost. All of the moderators were removed from their positions yesterday, and Dizzy, who was the forum manager was removed from her post, as was I as the Assistant Administrator. I don't want to bash the site, but it would be wise to take it down until it can be properly be rebuilt.

Dale, I should have listened to you from the get go. You and Wes were right all along!

Server problems can be nasty. We lost a bunch of staff back at GardenGuides. A hard drive failure can corrupt your database, and if that happens, you're... well, uh, let's see, I guess the politically correct term would be "left without a whole lot of viable options" though I would probably phase things a bit differently. ;)

Sorry to hear they're having problems, that's not a good thing for any site. I know that some moderators don't like their competitors, but it doesn't bother me... There will always be somebody out there running another garden forum, be it the "new and improved" GardenGuides, GH, or some other forum that I've not heard of. In fact, there will always be a lot of them. But there are millions of folks who enjoy gardening, so I don't need to worry that there won't be enough to go around. :)

Also, nobody says you can't visit more than one forum. It doesn't even cost you anything, at least not here, so it's not like subscribing to two magazines. We all have various things to offer, and there's nothing wrong with picking and choosing amongst what you find.

So I can honestly say I wish them luck in getting things fixed and back online.

When data disappears it is time to call it quits!
Especially when it's the data you added to the forums!
Almost all my photos....a good year's worth are all gone from GH! Dang!
No point in crying over it!
What's done is done and looks like GH went back to basics, or in other words, 'was stripped down to basics'!
It all sounds so familar!
\_/% Here's a toast to another forum gone down the drain!!

Ron, I guess I'm just going to have to bug you here to get you to post thousands of those gorgeous gazania pictures.

What are we drinking for that toast? Gloria, do you have any moonshine you can share with us?

The only good thing I can think of that came out of GH was that I resigned and had my membership deleted before I was fired. Hehehehe I love my new home here at GF.

Ron, I am not sure that we needed to call it quits the first time. But over the course of the past year, we've had so many site outages or crashes, and lost data, got it back and so on.......This time, I honestly don't know. It looks like the only remaining stuff there is from the end of 2007.

But over the course of the past year, we've had so many site outages or crashes, and lost data, got it back and so on.......This time, I honestly don't know. It looks like the only remaining stuff there is from the end of 2007.

That can happen when your database gets corrupted. You continue to have problems and errors and more lost data.

Sometimes the best option is simply to start fresh. I realize that seems drastic, but often it works better than continuing forward with more problems and lost data.

Forums are a lot like newspapers. Most folks read the current information, and a few go back and research the past folks. If you have a strong community, even a total data loss will soon be put behind you as new information is posted and the dicussions continue where folks left off.

Of course it's much easier to look back and say "Well, we should have" than it is to know what should be done while it's going on.

Ron, I am not sure that we needed to call it quits the first time. But over the course of the past year, we've had so many site outages or crashes, and lost data, got it back and so on.......This time, I honestly don't know. It looks like the only remaining stuff there is from the end of 2007.

Hop over to GH, I posted an obituary!

As for Gazanias, you will need to wait until late June early July when I post some brand new photos! All that corupt data was 99% of my photos!!

That can happen when your database gets corrupted. You continue to have problems and errors and more lost data.

Sometimes the best option is simply to start fresh. I realize that seems drastic, but often it works better than continuing forward with more problems and lost data.

Forums are a lot like newspapers. Most folks read the current information, and a few go back and research the past folks. If you have a strong community, even a total data loss will soon be put behind you as new information is posted and the dicussions continue where folks left off.

Of course it's much easier to look back and say "Well, we should have" than it is to know what should be done while it's going on.

Bob, I don't honestly know whether the data was corrupted. All I know is that he moved to another server, and I suspect it became necessary to use a dedicated server. The site went offline for an hour or two, and then when he brought it back up, all the content was gone.

Ron had worked tirelessly on fixing pictures, Wes worked on articles, Dale also worked on the photos, Dizzy and her side kick were the forum managers and I was the Assistant Admin.....I was the recipient of all complaints.

Yesterday, we were all dismissed. There was no explanation, no apology, no nothing.

We were burned more times than I care to count. This time, when the content was wiped out and we were just relieved of our duties. I think this was it for many of us! You can't ignore the problems, not keep people informed of what's going on, explain things, apologize for what's gone wrong and expect them to stick around.

I guess it's Sayanara, as Ron said!

Ron, I'm here for you if you need to vent!

Happy to have found you

RonsGarden suggested I come here, I fell in love with gh and am happy to see familiar faces here. Annette aka Datura from gh

Hi Annette glad to have another familiar face.
We are all kinda recycled GH people EXCEPT that we are absolutley love it here.

Hi, Annette! Glad you ventured over here too! I'm glad to see more of our friends making their way over here. It's very warm, comfy and easy to navigate....and of course the people are great!

Welcome Annette, glad you popped on over. I know you'll like it here. This place is what a gardening forum should be...user friendly and lots of good people annnnddd the extra advantage of an administrator that really cares.

Gardenforums.com is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com

Back