What birds

GardenForums.com a friendly and growing community of gardeners. We feature a Garden Discussion Forum and Garden Photo Gallery. It's a fun and friendly place to talk with other gardeners, ask questions, share you knowledge, view and post photos and more! Whether you're a master gardener, or brand new to the hobby, you'll find something of interest here.

He is! Some of our neighbors have some chickens in their back yard. They live at the end of the road and the back of their house faces a field. We live right on the ouskirts of town so they can get away with it, if their neighbors don't mind.

We don't have a rooster, but we have 10 hens. My son-in-law is a baker for CostCo and has to get up really early for work, so he will nap in the afternoon when he gets home. But it was decided early on that there would be no roosters. The grandkids have been attacked by ornery roosters so they don't want to have one around either.

My roosters are really pretty nice. But then again they are only naughty once.
I just won't tolerate them flying at us.

Black cap Chickadees
Cardinals
Robins
Grackles
Pheobes
blue jays
mocking birds
kites
all types of gulls
Great Blue , brown, white and tri color herons
several species of wood peckers
blue birds
wrens
mourning doves
Thrush ( several types)
Ok I'll stop now I could go on for ever oh the owls and turkeys are just very cool. I see those everyday.
Last weekend I walked out to the garden and I could here the gulls. Usually they are either on the river bank or hanging out at the pond in the brush but they were on the ground all around the garden. There must have been 50 of them. I have no idea what they were doing there. They were just hanging out on the edges of the garden.?????

We have

Mourning Doves
Chickadees
Song Sparrows
Robins
Blue Jays
Gold Finches
Purple and House finches
Hummingbirds (Ruby throat, Black chinned, Buff Bellied, Broad tailed, Rufous, Magnificent, Lucifer...and I can't remember all the rest!)
Mockingbirds
Crows
Starlings
Grackles
Cattle Egrets
Tanangers
Wrens

I have seen:
Mockingbirds
Cardinals
English sparrows
Green Parrots
mourning doves, white wing doves, mexican(aztec) doves, ring neck doves
grackles
crows
red tailed hawks
turkey buzzards
hummingbirds
robins
bluejays

Miss Kya, most people are oblivious to the varieties that exist around us. My wife's stepdad got me started in feeding the birds back in 1977. It is really a thrill to see a new species come around.

Wow what a great list of birds, I had to look some up as I'd never seen them lol. I have soooo many visit here but I'll just list the common ones.:)
Rainbow lorikeets
Galahs
Pale-head rosellas
Cockatoos
Magpies
Willie wagtails
Blue Wrens
Spangled drongos
Crows
Silver eyes
Barred Finches
Corellas
Scarlet honeyeaters
Noisy Miners
Cuckoo shrikes
Currawongs
That's all I can think of off the top of my head:)

Kya,You have some absolutely beautiful, beautiful,beautiful.... Chickens I love all the ones I looked up(Several) we had a few of those at my Aunts house we loved them,My brother thought he was ROCKY and would let them loose when the Rocky song came on (am small radio*lol) and would chase them around her yard ,I would keep eye if she came home *lol
We had lots of fun with them.They loved spaghetti*LOL
Being real Italians they always served it *lol we use to save some in our napkin just so we can feed them *lol
I wil have to take a few hours to look up all these birds!Oh my Wombat I dont think I have ever heard of any other then Cockatoos and crows!*LOL
Maybe later I'l do that if I don't get distracted with something else.( the sun just popped out *lol) This thread sure keeps my interest indeed!but I need to run outside for now*lol

Kale:)

It is just amazing all of the different kinds of birds we have in our yards.
Wow Wombat what a cool list.

We have some pretty birds that live near us. I love to watch the cardinals, and the blue jays are fun to watch. I know we have several finches and some sparrows. I've seen an abundance of doves here.
the other day I was driving to the store and about a block away from our house I saw a buzzard. They are so ugly. I think he was eating road kill. yuck.

They certainly do that, Lyn. But it is a service to us that they help keep things cleaned up. You know though, it would make them a lot more welcome if they weren't so ugly. LOL

Dizzy why are you on crutches? I didn't know. Inquiring minds want to know.

When I was out in the backyard yesterday, I looked up and there was a red-tail hawk soaring up in the sky. :)

Gardenforums.com is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com

Back