What birds

GardenForums.com a friendly and growing community of gardeners. We feature a Garden Discussion Forum and Garden Photo Gallery. It's a fun and friendly place to talk with other gardeners, ask questions, share you knowledge, view and post photos and more! Whether you're a master gardener, or brand new to the hobby, you'll find something of interest here.

Kya D

Since we live all over the country I thought a list of what birds live or visit our yards and gardens.
So far we have
starlings (pests here) :eek:
Euro collared doves
Mourning doves
sparrows
yesterday I saw a bunch of Kildeer
I will add more as more come to visit and take up housekeeping...:p

Dale

Super Moderator
Staff member
Funny you should ask, but today I saw a Red headed Woodpecker at one of our feeders.

Year to date we have seen

Mourning Dove
Sparrow
Finch
Black bird
Robin
Red Headed Woodpecker

Kya D

What a cool bunch of birds Dale.
A little later we get most of the same birds.
I'm keeping my eyes open.

richnkim

Really nice. I would love to see some woodpeckers! I here them sometimes.

We have:
Crow
Blue Scrub Jays
Bushtits
Hummingbirds
Finch
Sparrows
Black Phobe (don't see often but he is here)

K

Kale

Very Nice Topic! Interesting for sure!
Doves, Cardinals ,Song Sparrows, BlueJays, American Golden Finch,Humming Birds, Crows,Grackle Woodpeckers (Downy)

Occasional, Parakeet (I found) and cockatiel Lady found and gave me)

Chickedee,Pigeons, Seagulls blocks away I see them)
,*(Detroit Zoo - RedWings, )

There are more but can't recall..

Kale:)

Kya D

Parakeets and cockatiel that is something that I will never see here.
Cool finds.
We have some scrub jays, pinion jays and stellar jays too.

K

Kale

James the parakeet was a beautiful rainbow of colors, it took him about a year to actually trust me.I was a long year for me but I gave him him time and he sure did come around.Won't go into how I lost him:(
Sweetie was the Sweetiest cockatiel. Very personable.She flew on some ladies shoulder at the golf course.She had her for about a year then gave her away ..that is where we came in. She was such a darling.
I have another cockatiel and parakeet! Timothy and Lavender ! They are cool birds Lavender talks to no end Timothy thinks he is *LOL

Oh I forgot to add on my visitors list.. My Red tailed Hawk!*LOL

palmettogal

So far this month we've had robins, chickadees (yesterday), bluebirds, sparrows, cardinals (year round), finches, mourning doves, mockingbirds, purple martins, and one hummingbird sighting.

Spider_Lily

James the parakeet was a beautiful rainbow of colors, it took him about a year to actually trust me.I was a long year for me but I gave him him time and he sure did come around.Won't go into how I lost him:(
Sweetie was the Sweetiest cockatiel. Very personable.She flew on some ladies shoulder at the golf course.She had her for about a year then gave her away ..that is where we came in. She was such a darling.
I have another cockatiel and parakeet! Timothy and Lavender ! They are cool birds Lavender talks to no end Timothy thinks he is *LOL

Oh I forgot to add on my visitors list.. My Red tailed Hawk!*LOL

Kale I have a Quaker parrot he's a green/gray bird.I bought him for my Mom a while after my Dad passed away.He was nothing but fuzz, eyeballs, and leg's.
I had fed him till he was old enough to eat on his on.I gave him to my Mom she was so proud of him she named him Mickie.He was alot of company to her.When my Mom passed away Mickie came to live with me.He talk's all the time sometime's I wish he would shutup LOL.Something's he say's
Here Kitty Kitty,What you doing,Cory's gonna kill me,the phone will ring he say's Hello Hello goodbye,Kackle,s like a chicken,I call my dog to come in he say's come on come on baby,.He sounds like someone crying,then he will laugh.He will say Mickie's a pretty boy.And Do you love me do you huh do you LOL he's just a little rotten mess.he's 13 yrs old now.

RonsGarden

Super Moderator
Staff member
Redwing Blackbirds
Blue Jays
Cardinals
Mourning Doves
White Throated Sparrows
Perigrin Falcons
Red Tailed Hawks
Starlings
Haven't seen the Orioles yet!

Kya D

We have red tails and golden eagles and some stinkin chicken hawk (sharp shinned I think) here too.
I love to see them but hate when they find their way into my chicken coop.

Annette99

In my back yard year round, robins, blue jays, cardinals, house finches,sparrows,an occasional turkey vulture, mourning doves. The Hummingbirds will be here soon along with goldfinches. the chickadees are gone now, they stay for the winter,I'm not much of a birder as I have cats, so I am sure I'm missing some.

Kya D

twice a year we get grackles and vultures as they migrate.
I love the grackles they are so noisy and fun to watch. I wish they would stay for a bit longer. They only stay for 2-3 weeks

K

Kale

Everyone has a nice list of bug and seedling predators!
I have been working on protecting both the bugs and seedlings!

*Nice story Spider-Lily I will not repeat some of what my Lavender says(Although it is funny!) ,he repeats what he hears on TV.His favorite is Dr.Smith from Lost In Space.I think he knows all the one liners that coward said.*LOL Oh WILL!!! WILL!!! he wouldn't stop saying it!*LOL I had to put it outside to distract him from WILL WILL !
He does mock Timothy and call the cat! Come here Sonnyboy and makes the sound of food shaking, the bright cat comes! He is a loveable little fella.

Oh my Kya!
Do they destroy the chickens or just scare them and you half to death!
What kinds of Chickens do you have?

Grackles are MEAN! So are crows! I see them ....I guess because nobody feeds them .
They are very nice looking birds.

FishinBC

Love the Birds

We have so many and sitting on the deck watching them is a favorite pastime of mine.

We have:

Cardinals, blue birds, bluejays, indigo buntings, painted buntings, golden finch, wrens, chicadees, robins, cat birds, white chinned sparrows, doves, juncos (winter), red shouldered hawks, red tailed hawks, bald eagles and lots more!

Love the birds!!!

palmettogal

I love the painted and indigo buntings! We get them later on in the late spring/early summer. Also cedar waxwings for the first time last year. They are beautiful birds, too.

Kya D

Oh my Kya!
Do they destroy the chickens or just scare them and you half to death!
What kinds of Chickens do you have?
Kale they are wicked. They follow my pigeons into the coop and then they just go crazy. One day one hawk killed several half grown chicks and 4 of my pigeons. The full size hens are fairly safe only because of their size. Last summer I had 4 different hawks get in my coop in ONE day.
I just don't much care for them there stupid HAWKS.

Kya D

Kale I also have these breeds of hens
Araucana
Cochin
Lakenvelder
Rhode Island Red
Barred Rock
Sex links
Buff Orphingtons
Wyandotte
Light Brahma
Dark Brahma
Australorp
Plus some mixed breeds

Banties
Mixed breed bantams
Silkies
Mille fluers
Light Brahma
Dark Brahma

richnkim

Hey Kya, I was at my uncels house the other day and he was feeding a rooster that struts around his place. It was really pretty, red body, golden long feathers all down his neck and on his head looked like dark green and a little blue. So pretty!

We have hawks soaring above the fields around all of the time.

Gardenforums.com is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com