What kinds of herbs will you grow this year?

GardenForums.com a friendly and growing community of gardeners. We feature a Garden Discussion Forum and Garden Photo Gallery. It's a fun and friendly place to talk with other gardeners, ask questions, share you knowledge, view and post photos and more! Whether you're a master gardener, or brand new to the hobby, you'll find something of interest here.

I just started some different types of lavender from seed. So far, so good. It looks like the germination rate is close to 100%. Can't ever have enough lavender. I found True lavender and Munstead in the grocery store -- much to my surprise!

Do you still have the Providence Lavender I sent you Plantlover? Mine is growing so good and takes the cold well. I have it planted outside and it's multiplied a good bit.

I so wish I did, Gloria! But it didn't survive. I've got some True Lavender and Munstead lavender that I planted from seed. We'll have to see if they survive. I always love to have loads of lavender around!

I've also got jasmine growing -- the night blooming stuff has the most beautiful flowers. It was dormant but is starting to come back. I'll have loads of seeds once it starts blooming.

I looked into what we call our herb garden a couple of days ago and I saw that I have a small rosemary bush out there still alive. If I take care of that one, it would be better than trying to start a new one in a container.

My cilantro has gone crazy. It is everywhere even in the lawn.LOL! I am currently digging it and giving it away. I would offer to mail it but I don't think it would make the trip. I'll do some seed saving and offer those instaed. But it will be a few months.

Just did a look around to see what survived the snow. French tarragon is coming up!
Margorum,lavendar,rosemary and chives all look o.k.. Will be planting lemon mint,basil and parsley.

Cyndy, if you really like the taste of basil or want to make Pesto, check out Genovese basil....it's the best for Pesto!

Well I was out looking at my herbs. my chives were froze back but are coming back well. the oregano is needing to trimmed back cause it is growing out of its spot. the flat leaf parsley is another one needing a good trimming. the tarragon, marjoram, rosemary, feverfew, lavender, sage, and fennel are all looking good. I still need to get some basil started. I think I will do at least a couple of kinds this summer. My mint is coming back. I have spearmint but I think I want to add some peppermint this summer.

My Hubby is pretty upset cuz 3 years ago and they still come up volunteer and I just love it.

Anyone know anything about Stevia or venue to buy? I had gotten a sample seed(1) but can't remember where it came from. Haven't done a search but thought maybe someone had a tried and true.

I will plant the mint in a container. I didn't the lemon mint last year don't know what I was thinking. I'm sure I will have some of that up soon. the indian blanket is as invasive as the mint and they were in the same area last year. I'm thinking I will thin the population down while they are small this year.

I buy a stevia plant every year as I haven't had much luck with the seeds. Parks sells them but I get mine from my local nursery. What else would you like to know,Crabbergirl?

I buy a stevia plant every year as I haven't had much luck with the seeds. Parks sells them but I get mine from my local nursery. What else would you like to know,Crabbergirl?

Thanks. I just want to find a source for purchase and plants are always better than seed. Stevia hit our grocery chain about 2 years ago. I just thought I could cut out the middleman by growing my own. I have used the leaves before from where I can't remember maybe a garden show or something, anyway I like it anf not so wild about the commercially processed you get from the store. I have ordered from Park in the past I'll check them out.
Thanks again:)

Thanks. I just want to find a source for purchase and plants are always better than seed. Stevia hit our grocery chain about 2 years ago. I just thought I could cut out the middleman by growing my own. I have used the leaves before from where I can't remember maybe a garden show or something, anyway I like it anf not so wild about the commercially processed you get from the store. I have ordered from Park in the past I'll check them out.
Thanks again:)

I'm with you on that! The FDA just approved the first stevia sweetener in the US....PureVia, but who needs pre-paks? I'll go with the grow every time I can.

I don't know anything much about the stevia but I have a friend in Ks. who uses it but she bought it processed from a health food store.
I would love to hear how you use it. do you put the leaves in things to sweeten them or do you process it somehow. I'm always looking for something different to plant.

I don't know anything much about the stevia but I have a friend in Ks. who uses it but she bought it processed from a health food store.
I would love to hear how you use it. do you put the leaves in things to sweeten them or do you process it somehow. I'm always looking for something different to plant.

Lynn, as far as I know, yes, you can use the leaves just as they are as a sweetener. You can also dry them and grind them up in a coffee mill or herb grinder and use them that way too. That would be a good way to use them to sweeten tea or coffee. As for using them in lieu of something like Splenda, I don't know how it's processed, but I suspect you'd have to have a lot of it, and it would be expensive. I bought a box of packets at HEB and it wasn't cheap. I use it sometimes.....but personally, I prefer the taste of Splenda, and it's a heck of a lot cheaper to boot! Stevia, or the stuff in the packages has a bitter after taste. It's also sold as a liquid, but again, I think it's probably quite expensive.

I've grown Stevia Crabber. In my experience the flavour varies from plant to plant. Some have a liquorice after taste and others a bitter flavour. I read an article a few years back that siad if you find a plant with sweet leaves and no after taste, beg borrow or steal some of it as the plant stays true to the parent, flavour wise. It's a very difficult plant to learn how to use correctly and it's been a ''practice makes perfect'' approach for me so far. Drying the leaves increases the sweetness a lot, so use the less is more approach. If the after taste is more pronounced, you're using too much. They can be tricky to grow from seed and you're not quite sure of what you're going to get so I get cuttings or starter plants as they're easier to grow. I have bookmarked a site that's very informative, hope this helps you out a bit:)
http://www.stevia.net/

Gardenforums.com is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com

Back