What kinds of herbs will you grow this year?

GardenForums.com a friendly and growing community of gardeners. We feature a Garden Discussion Forum and Garden Photo Gallery. It's a fun and friendly place to talk with other gardeners, ask questions, share you knowledge, view and post photos and more! Whether you're a master gardener, or brand new to the hobby, you'll find something of interest here.

K

Kale

Stevia info made me say OOUCH!
Wombat, I had a prize plant, sweet leaves and nearly no after taste.
I tried to over winter it indoors and it kicked the bucket. Still inside in the pot don't have the heart to discard it. I just buy the little dropper bottle. 2fl oz. it cost about 7dollars and it takes 3-5 drops per double cup of tea/coffee.
I understand:One -half to Two Table spoons= 1cup of white sugar (no chemicals added or sugar spikes.)

Doesn't taste nearly as good as my leaves:(

What temps do you take cuttings from stevia?

Crabber, if the The FDA just approved it ,one may say run the other direction!
FAST...
Dont look back...*lol
Keep going...
you can do it!!!!!!!!!!
I'm right behind you! *lol
Isnt one funny..
truthful but funny.
Even when it isn't.

Ok here is some of my list. Several (not on list) are wintersowing in the same container from last year.

HERBS
Pennyroyal
(Burpee)
Basil Lime (Ocimum basillicum)
Basil (Siam Queen)
Basil Plenty
Basil Lemon
Basil Genovese
Basil Sweet
Basil Cinnamon
Purple Basil
Rosemary (Romero)
Thyme (Thymus vulgaris)
Sweet Basil (Heirloom)
Catnip
Cilantro
Calendula
Dill (mammoth)
Dill (Dukat)
Chives (common)
Chives
Horehound
Lavender (lavandula augustifolia)
Rosemary (officinalis)
Sweet Marjoram
Spearmint (menthe spicata)
Spearmint (menta verde)
Summer Savory
Parsley Plain
Parsley Curly
Parsley Chinese
Valerian

Grow these and make your whole eco-system work wonders...some of these plants will be chewed to no end but...everyone will be satisfied :D

Kale:)

Wombat

Hi Kale yeah I know what you mean about the processed version of stevia...different to say the least:rolleyes: Did your plant flower at all, if so did you manage to save any seed? In my limited experience the darker or ''black'' seed tend to germinate a lot better than the light coloured ones. In my climate I take cuttings in late winter, but my winter is completely different to yours. I've read that in colder climates cuttings are taken from plants that have survived the winter months indoors in about March then transplanted in May/June, others have also taken cuttings successfully in autumn too. You mentioned that yours died indoors and in colder areas they're also treated as annuals, but a lot have also managed to keep them alive under fluoro lights.:)

R

RiverRock

I am just getting my first herb garden started this year..I have grown some herbs in the past but only here and there..this year I am making a container garden of herbs on my back patio...my question is, do most herbs winter over an come back or do they need to be replanted each year? That wil depent on what i plant. Are there certain ones that winter over better then others? I got a tiny basil plant given to me last year that got pretty big and it did winter over pretty good and is in a pot out on my patio, it is coming back some already.

I would like to do several flavors of mints
chives both kinds
rosemary
lemon basil
dill
lavender
garlic
and whatever else i can find that is good:)

RR

Last edited by a moderator:

latebloomer

My mints,lavendar,lemon verbena,rosemary,chives,sage, marjoram and thyme all over winter. Dill,stevia and basil usually need planted every spring.

Jade

I am just getting my first herb garden started this year..I have grown some herbs in the past but only here and there..this year I am making a container garden of herbs on my back patio...my question is, do most herbs winter over an come back or do they need to be replanted each year? That wil depent on what i plant. Are there certain ones that winter over better then others? I got a tiny basil plant given to me last year that got pretty big and it did winter over pretty good and is in a pot out on my patio, it is coming back some already.

I would like to do several flavors of mints
chives both kinds
rosemary
lemon basil
dill
lavender
garlic
and whatever else i can find that is good:)

RR
RR,
A caution about planting mint, I planted it in large coffee cans with holes in the bottom to keep it withing bounds. They will take over any herb garden. Also, cut the flowers off of your chives before the seeds mature, or they will try to take over too. I didn't do my research before trying garlic, but if I try it again I will plant it in the fall. We had no luck with a spring planting. Try some Thyme, it is a lovely herb. I didn't plant any dill last year and sorely missed it, so it will be one for me this year for sure.

lynpenny

Super Moderator
Staff member
I'm glad you mentioned the dill. I need to get the herbs started this weekend and I have forgotten about the dill. I thought I'd do several plants and spread them out throughout the gardens and hope the caterpillars won't find all of them. I learned to use it early cause they always are very hungry.
I have some basil to get started this weekend. I planted something last month and I have only one pot of hollyhocks up out of three I planted. and there is something else and I forgot what it is. Oh well we will put it in the ground and find out later. lol I love surprises.

richnkim

This is my first time growing herbs! I am keeping them in pots. Started from seeds. I want to put some basil in my tomatoes when they get a little bigger.

I have started:
Oregano
Sweet Basil
Dark Opal Purple Basil
Cilantro
and Chives

I am giving some of these to my daughter and she started some Dill for me!

lynpenny

Super Moderator
Staff member
My basil is up now. I have tons but I will put it in the herb garden or maybe give some to Dave next door to plant. I'm planting some in a pot for the dil oh I usually overplant. but then when I don't I don't get them up.

Jade

My basil took over the herb pot this year, I will plant it in a bed this year and keep the pot in Rosemary, Thyme, Parsley and Chives. I just don't use enough Basil I guess. The chives are up and growing since we had a few 70 degree days. We are planning to put in a smallish raised bed in for veggies this year. I had a lawn consult with our local garden center, all of our topsoil washed down our hill when our yard was being seeded last spring, he tells me we will never have a nice lawn unless we import some good topsoil. Good thing I am low maintainance on all other areas or hubby would have to get rid of me. We have so much clay, and I must say, I am not liking it one bit. We are not young anymore, so instead of getting a load dropped on the driveway, we may get someone to come in and do it for us. Dang I miss our old house which was already fine. Oh well. Some people say that clay is better, but this backyard is a wreck. We still have a river running thru when it rains.

Crabbergirl

Super Moderator
Staff member
My cilantro is going to seed right now. It is beautiful. I will save some for corriander and the rest I will let reseed it self. However if anyone would like seeds let me know I will have a limited amount so first come first served;)

K

Kale

Jade. I would love to have the challenge of making a water run down with plants all about.
I can see it now :D
My front land is all down hill.I made several tiers and 4x4 them off to hold the soil up,I also used small logs to support the design.
I removed enough dirt to fill several 5X 2 1/2 beds in the back.I wish I can see it I can tell you what Id do.

As far as herbs, here are some that germinated in less then 6days!!

I uncovered just to peek... and was SURPRISED!:D:D

Kale:)

Attachments

• B asil list 09.jpg
    B asil list 09.jpg
    59.3 KB · Views: 400
  • b heirlsweet fineleafdwft ruffle.jpg
    b heirlsweet fineleafdwft ruffle.jpg
    109 KB · Views: 380
  • b plenty lemongenovscinn purp09.jpg
    b plenty lemongenovscinn purp09.jpg
    117.7 KB · Views: 395
  • B lime queen.jpg
    B lime queen.jpg
    106.8 KB · Views: 370

lynpenny

Super Moderator
Staff member
yeah I'm getting some sprouts ready to plant one of these days. and then I bought some too.

Attachments

• P3180019.JPG
    P3180019.JPG
    31.7 KB · Views: 366
  • P3180020.JPG
    P3180020.JPG
    29.3 KB · Views: 354

lynpenny

Super Moderator
Staff member
I put the parley in a pot and the lemon thyme and some basil sprouts. I will put the basil in the garden later. I think it should be bigger before I plant it there.

Gardenforums.com is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com