what perenials to plant with bulb?

GardenForums.com a friendly and growing community of gardeners. We feature a Garden Discussion Forum and Garden Photo Gallery. It's a fun and friendly place to talk with other gardeners, ask questions, share you knowledge, view and post photos and more! Whether you're a master gardener, or brand new to the hobby, you'll find something of interest here.

tumbleweed

Hi all-
First time posting here and hoping for some advice. Just dug up a 6x40 flower bed along east foundation (boy, am I sore!), removing some old shrubs. I've actually done some amending of the clay soil but am still working on it. I've wanted a flower garden for years but haven't had time until now.
This site gets 6-8 hrs of sun and is wind-protected. I'm in zone 6, high desert in Washington State. I'd like to end up with beautiful primary colors thruout the season. I love bulbs like hyacinth, daffodils, tulips, iris, lilies. Guess I'll finally have to take care of the gopher and mole problem, lived here for 15 years and they've had their own way up until now. But I'm gonna put my foot down and gopherbroke-get rid of them!
So I need ideas of what perenials I can interplant with bulbs to provide more color and help hide leaves as they're dying back. (Hey, I think I finally learned to spell perenial! Right?) Primary colors, varying heights and bloom times. I'm hoping someone can help with suggestions...

Hi Weed,
Welcome!
I was thinking as soon as I began reading that you might want to consider some perenial grasses that might hold through the winter. Not real sure about what would survive your zone 6 winters.If you plant the grasses behind the bulbs it would add definition to the garden during the blooming season and showy colors in the cooler parts of the year.If you consult with a local nurery or your ag center they can tell you about native species which will really fit your area well. Be sure to ask if the grasses are invasive as you do not wat it to interfere with your bulbs. I also like aztec grass but not sure it will survive there. Maybe one of our zone 6 members will have some good ideas for you.

I too love daffodils, lillies and hyacinth! :D Best source I've found for good size lily bulbs is GilbertHWild . Keep in mind when planting - they will increase & spread!
Do a little reading before planting & you will be lots happier with your new flower beds. Some other easy ideas are - Taller varieties should go to the back & shorter ones to the front; marigolds are always great for inter-planting with bulbs, as are other shallow growing root systems.

Another site which is great for researching for different areas (sun, shade, deer resistant, etc) is BigDipperFarms - I look up lots of plants there. :)

With the mole/vole issue - you might want to invest in some of the bulb cages which you place the bulbs into, then plant the entire thing. Another thing you can try is placing chopped garlic into any holes you find. Plant garlic & onion chives around your precious bulbs too! ;)

Good luck with your new obsession - gardening may start as a hobby, but will grow into an obsession! LOL! ;)

Welcome welcome.
I have bunches of heirloom iris I need to split... when I get them split I would be glad to share with you if you would like some.

Well I think I would go with the Wood Poppy. It has beautiful color and is good with sunlight and with shade.
I hope this helps

Manda Dixon

Last edited by a moderator:
Hi all-
First time posting here and hoping for some advice. Just dug up a 6x40 flower bed along east foundation (boy, am I sore!), removing some old shrubs. I've actually done some amending of the clay soil but am still working on it. I've wanted a flower garden for years but haven't had time until now.
This site gets 6-8 hrs of sun and is wind-protected. I'm in zone 6, high desert in Washington State. I'd like to end up with beautiful primary colors thruout the season. I love bulbs like hyacinth, daffodils, tulips, iris, lilies. Guess I'll finally have to take care of the gopher and mole problem, lived here for 15 years and they've had their own way up until now. But I'm gonna put my foot down and gopherbroke-get rid of them!
So I need ideas of what perenials I can interplant with bulbs to provide more color and help hide leaves as they're dying back. (Hey, I think I finally learned to spell perenial! Right?) Primary colors, varying heights and bloom times. I'm hoping someone can help with suggestions...

Not meant to be a wise guy, but perennial is the spelling...you just missed an N...not bad.

Oh, I see that they are now banned, thanks Ron. I am a true primary color gardener, so I was excited about this...all of the plumbago, a true blue, coreopsis, and so many beautiful reds. Thanks for pointing it out, but oh well....thank Goodness no one has banned me. I have bad manners sometimes.

Some new members tread where they are not suppose to tread and they leave us no choice but to ban them even after 2 warnings!

I love the primary colors too, but to get a full spectrum can be difficult with dry sandy conditions!
I find creeping perennials do well with spring bulbs

Gardenforums.com is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com

Back