What to plant at first of July?

GardenForums.com a friendly and growing community of gardeners. We feature a Garden Discussion Forum and Garden Photo Gallery. It's a fun and friendly place to talk with other gardeners, ask questions, share you knowledge, view and post photos and more! Whether you're a master gardener, or brand new to the hobby, you'll find something of interest here.

mr_yan

I am now pulling about 2/3 of my garlic. The heads are not as big as I hoped but the plant is brown and dry. I was hoping to plant broccoli where the garlic what but I think it will be too hot for too long to plant broccoli now. What should I plant now?

Green bean packet says 57 days and I can just leave voids where broccoli will go.

Greens are fast but I think it will again be too hot and dry for them.

RonsGarden

Super Moderator
Staff member
Eggplants! They love the heat and grow quickly enough, but do not expect to harvest any until the end of August and into September!
I don't bother planting mine in the gardens until July. They are in pots and slowly growing and waiting for the heat and humidity..then they take off!
Best to buy seedlings...any size will do great.
They are greedy feeders so fertilize them regularly every 2 weeks..water soluable type.. 15-30-15 is the one I use.

Crabbergirl

Super Moderator
Staff member
You could plant corn as well. I will be planting my fall corn next weekend, I hope. They do have a short season corn , can't remember where I saw it though. I am guesing you have all the usuals planted, cukes, melons and such. Ron is right on with the egg plants, also you can so herbs too. Let us know what you do plant.

klevelyn

Carrots can be planted, you just need to keep them moist to germinate. Green beans would be good.

I am harvesting my garlic as well and I was really pleased with them. It was my first year planting them.

harvesting-garlic.jpg

Crabbergirl

Super Moderator
Staff member
Nice garlic! I harvested mine and have been using it in my canning as well as cooking. I didn't plant enough this year. I usually like to make garlic braids for my kids for Christmas.

Gardenforums.com is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com