What Tool?

GardenForums.com a friendly and growing community of gardeners. We feature a Garden Discussion Forum and Garden Photo Gallery. It's a fun and friendly place to talk with other gardeners, ask questions, share you knowledge, view and post photos and more! Whether you're a master gardener, or brand new to the hobby, you'll find something of interest here.

Flower4Yeshua

Super Moderator & vegemm
Staff member
Was wondering what may be the three garden tools you just can not live with out....I have many as I am sure we all do as gardeners...but if you could only keep three what would they be.
For me number one is my little round end hoe, shovel of course and then hachet.

swindy

My favorite 2 are my hands-- I just love digging and getting them as dirty as possible.
The only large tools I kept when I moved was my spade,cultivator and hard rake.

Gardengoddess

Yep, I'm a hands-on gardener as well. I was warned about chiggers in the soil here in Iowa though so I've started wearing gloves. Not my favorite but it beats the alternative.

Shovel, hard rake, pruner are my basic tools.

Dora/Garden Goddess

Flower4Yeshua

Super Moderator & vegemm
Staff member
Dora, I thought for sure you were going to list you wonderful new rider mower...;)

I remember when we lived in Kansas and the chiggers...watch around you tiny belly band...OY!

Crabbergirl

Super Moderator
Staff member
I'm with Sharon & debe on this my tiller is a must and yes my hands. They are always with me and...... I can use them for many chores in the garden. The other would be a good cut shovel. I like to give my plants new homes from time to time so that is on I can't live without!

Last edited:

Gardengoddess

Dora, I thought for sure you were going to list you wonderful new rider mower...;)

I remember when we lived in Kansas and the chiggers...watch around you tiny belly band...OY!

Well yes there is that lol! I don't think I'd want to tackle our acre without it but that is new to me so maybe that's why I didn't list it...I've gardened too many years without it lol!

Dora/Garden Goddess

Flower4Yeshua

Super Moderator & vegemm
Staff member
At Big Old house we just moved from we had 5 acers...Thankfully we found a very nice used rider and it was heaven sent....when we bought this place, it is under 1 acer so I gave the rider to our neighbor by the old house...although it could be used here...I have to say I missed walking to mow...

Mainegal

Super Moderator
Staff member
My mantis tiller, shovel and my hands
my rider too but don't consider that a tool, got an electric start push one too

Gloria

Super Moderator
Staff member
Three is not enough..my hands, tiller, and hoe...then.. my shovel, rake and last but not least..riding mower..got to have all of these, no exceptions. Ohh shucks..I want my tractor too..I have a biggggg garden to plant!

K

Kale

My first thought would be my large shovel to hit the person on the head that would dare tell me only 3, then once in the white coat ;I would verbally yell for

Pruners, rubbing alcohol and camera*LOL

You know I have to be difficult:) I can't help myself:rolleyes:

3..more like 7-10!

I can't live without my camera to take pics of my roses after
I prune them *LOL

Kale

Now ask which 10 or less*LOL:eek::eek:

oremudpie

My Mantis tiller even with my tiny yard I use it..my circle hoe, bamboo rake and my short shovel and short rake..Gloves and pruners too
Oh, big sun bonnet..A must..
melanie

Jules

I have a "miners pick" which I use for just about everything - my second fav tool is my mantis tiller,as I see many others have mentioned too! Then, I have a hand garden claw that I got at Lee Valley and I just love it as it breaks up soil like no other hand tool.

Randy

Super Moderator
Staff member
They are a very small red spider, Kathryn. I remember them well from when I was a kid. We are truly blessed here in Oregon because we can lie down in the grass and romp with the dogs if we want to and have no fear of those chiggers. I couldn't do that in Texas.

deck chucker

I'd have to say my hands, a trowel (I have about 5 including the one in my kitchen), and my grandmother's small shovel I used to love playing with when I was a kid. It's a nostalgia factor as well as using something that was used historically on the property. I have several yard tools like that. You only said 3 though.

DizzyDaff

Hmmmmm... this is a toughie, but my number one hands-down favorite "tool" for the garden is DH! LOL!!!! He does so much to make new flower beds possible for me and is even gracious about giving up more lawn, since I convinced him "it's less grass to mow"!
Next would be my hand spade and a D handled small digging fork.

Gardenforums.com is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com