When to fertilize?

GardenForums.com a friendly and growing community of gardeners. We feature a Garden Discussion Forum and Garden Photo Gallery. It's a fun and friendly place to talk with other gardeners, ask questions, share you knowledge, view and post photos and more! Whether you're a master gardener, or brand new to the hobby, you'll find something of interest here.

prr

I have just started watering my lawn, and it is still rather yellow.

Should I wait to fertilize, until the grass is all green, and it is growing again? Or would the fertilizer help the grass now, as it starts to come back?

RonsGarden

Super Moderator
Staff member
If the grass is looking a bit yellow this means it is lacking in iron.
It is a good time to apply fertilizer if you are so inclined!
It here is ample soil moisture you do not need to water it, but do water the lawn after applying the fertilizer!
Watering once a week is more then enough!

prr

OK thanks, I'll fertilize it before my next watering.

As far as the causes, I typically don't water it during the winter, and I've just not gotten around to starting it up again... bad I know. Anyways, its greening up quite a bit just in this last week or so taht I've watered it, but its not a full green yet, so I didn't want to damage it by fertilizing it at a bad time.

Thanks.

Gardenforums.com is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com