Who Is Starting Their Veggies Now!??

GardenForums.com a friendly and growing community of gardeners. We feature a Garden Discussion Forum and Garden Photo Gallery. It's a fun and friendly place to talk with other gardeners, ask questions, share you knowledge, view and post photos and more! Whether you're a master gardener, or brand new to the hobby, you'll find something of interest here.

No, the sq foot doesn't give much room Kale. I had decided to give 2 squares or more if needed for my veggies. I am growing quite a few tom's from seeds but I will buy my Celebrity and sweet 100's ffrom the feed store. My cucumber plants didn't do anything last year so will try some from seed and put in an area to get some shade and not the blaring sun.

We can get lower temperatures in September that will stop all growth even though we haven't had a frost yet. We are a zone 6 here. I pretty well shoot for Memorial Day to have everything in except maybe corn. I drag my feet a little bit there so I am sure the soil has warmed sufficiently. Last year I heard a weather report that we were going to experience some unusually high temperatures for that time and I hustled and got my corn planted two days before the warmer days. It was perfect. The two prior days allowed the corn to soak up a bit of moisture and the warmer temperature made the plants come up fairly quick. I think every seed germintated.

Dor, In Texas, Im not sure what you can grow in full sun there in the list of veggies.I have shade on almost everything from 3:13 - 4:44.At first it was a :(:( then I planted according to that tree that I had no authority to CUT down .:eek:
It all works out ...afternoon shade is needed here with my weak sun rays...
Interesting...I would love to garden in Texas just for the fun of it*lol

Randy You are blessed with more time for sure.:D:D;)

Kale:)

Dor that is a good idea about getting your cukes some shade. From what I know the heat is what causes the bitterness in cucumbers. That is why I usually plant the kind that are advertised as bitterless. Nothing worse than picking cukes only to find they are bitter when you go to eat them. There are varieties on the market that are more heat tolerant as well.

Yes Shade is needed my best crop of cucumbers were in 2003 (I think, may have been 02) They were planted in draws along my driveway nearly under my Ash Tree facing west,they got lots of sun and shade from a few branches that towered them.the tree was so big that sun was able to hit the lower 4feet or so.
Watering is one of the biggest concerns.Lots of water for the cucumbers or you will get weird shaped yukks*LOL
I found the container gardening cucumbers worked rather well,actually I htink I will go that route this year being they didn't do well in 07. I didn't grow them (at home) in 08 trying to rid myself of those striped and dotted beetles.
I only had found about 5 last year! In '07 was up to 30 per day just before sunrise,everyday for many weeks.It was fun ....

Has anyone tried the bush cucumbers?
Any harvest to speak about?
I have only grown vines in my gardens.

What about spinach!
I can not grow Spinach!

If they germinate they get a few days old then disappear!
If any grow further they get some sort of leafminer damage,sorta looks sunburned.
I just pull and discard.

Oh be careful in companion planting ,Nasturtium is said to be host for imported cabbage butterfly (light yellow to white in color with 1 or 2 dots on the wings) worms and bean aphids.
Planting many different herbs (Not Mint!! ) between the plantings may give you a wonderful effect for controlling pests, may even enhance the flavor of the cucumbers*:D
Parsley(s) Basil, Oregano (careful he is a crazy perennial and doesn't quit growing) thyme (s)..to name a few. remember to keep air flowing between all plants always...

Dor, what starter medium do you use for your seed sowing fun time?

I have planted the bush cukes before. They do well but not as well as the running varieties, in my opinion. They do all right in containers.

Our weather is so crazy we had a freeze today that must be aboput number 9 for the year when we usually only have maybe 2-4 a year! So I am not putting out any plants yet and I have my Cherokee toms ready to seed in my egg cups inside. I will do that this weekend. I have a great make shift plant room for a lot of my tropicals so I will use that as my seed starting room. Most of the stores have starts out already but with us still having freezes I wouldn't set anything out. Maybe in a coup[le weeks.

Kale I use Jiffy seeds starting mix and Miracle Gro seeding starting mix.

Dale I bought some bush cucumber seeds to grow in large containers and going to grow some than run in my lasagna bed on the east side the fence will shade it in the evenings.

Dale I hate bitter cucumbers. I have been looking at the country extension office to get the right veggies for our hot area. Here is the link I use.
http://www.fbmg.com/GardeningPages/Vegetables/ForFtBend.htm

I want to use the egg shells next. Since my cucumbers only need to start 4 weeks before the first frost, I can start them in the egg shell the last week of this month.

My early tomatoes didn't do as well last year but my sweet 100's took off after July so I need to space them out and give some shade also. I will be doing containers and in the raised beds. I drowned my best bell pepper last year that was in a container. It had around 10 or more on it when it died.

I forgot who told me about the lemon cucumbers, but I really like them. They can get bitter, but only if you leave them on the vine too long. But they are superior in flavor to the typical slicing cucmber in my opinion.

I have some lemon cucumber seeds Randy and will be trying them for the first time this year. I bought some more rings and lids yesterday at big lots. I will get some jars at the Dollar General and check Good Will next week. We have a new store in my neighborhood. It is huge from the outside. I hope I can find some good canning items there.

I want to buy one of the large pressure canners.

I tried growing lemon cucs from seeds someone sent me last year. I didn't have any luck with them. Maybe I should try again if they're that good. I've never had one.

Gloria I tried growing the lemon cukes as well and didn't have any luck with them.

Today hubby and I transplanted 20 cabbage plants, about 40 red onions babies and a 40 foot row of strawberry plants. RJ said "finally..I have something to watch grow!" He was NOT a dirt digging person when I met him 10 years ago but he sure is now! He's almost as addicted as I am.

Gloria, what kind of strawberries do you have? June Bearing, Ever Bearing or the Ozark whatever it is. Cabbage???? Are you planning to make a whole lot of cole slaw? I love cole slaw. I'll have to see if I can dig up the recipe I had for home made cole slaw dressing. I think it was 1/2 cup of milk, 1/4 cup of mayonnaise or Miracle Whip, 2 tbsp of apple cider vinegar, 1 tsp of celery seed (but I used half that,) and 1 tsp of Splenda or sugar. Whisk it all together.

Don't forget to add some sweet pickles to that mix Susan!
Yep, I love cabbage, steamed, fried, stuffed and in cole slaw. I also make a chow-chow relish with it. And still give away a few heads!
My strawberries are June bearing, one plant had a bloom already!!!
I know Bob said he was running out of quotation marks but I can't help myself!!!! Sorry Bob..

I tried lemon cucumbers a few years ago..I didn't tend them well enough they were not uniform so I didn't eat any.

WOW! WHAT A HUBBY!!!!!!!!
How old are your strawberry plants ?:):)

Great for you !
My darling Hubby doesn't dig, but he helps other ways around the gardens.

We bought the straw berry plants at the feed and seed store..they are first year plants. I sure hope they produce good for me.

Gardenforums.com is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com

Back