Who Is Starting Their Veggies Now!??

GardenForums.com a friendly and growing community of gardeners. We feature a Garden Discussion Forum and Garden Photo Gallery. It's a fun and friendly place to talk with other gardeners, ask questions, share you knowledge, view and post photos and more! Whether you're a master gardener, or brand new to the hobby, you'll find something of interest here.

K

Kale

I am about to start my veggies,getting all the suppies list and all together.I have logged my last years plans and now ready to plan out my rotation the best I could.I do grow several from 3 families so it is goign to be a challenge.I also will "try" not to till I tilled in the fall.Maybe just fluff a little without actually turning the soil,I am curious to see if I will get a better crop.Weeds aren't really a problem in those beds, trailing grass however, is a nightmare, from the neighbors behind me....
I am interested to know what you will sow indoors,then direct sow outdoors.Being we live in different climates timing will be interesting.I bet some of you are harvesting *LOL I bet there are some veggies that you simply cant grow..just like me here in cold zone 5b.
I have to start lots of veggies indoors our season is shorter then my mantis'*LOL (praying Mantis that is *LOL)
125days if we are truly blessed with good weather and temps.
I play beat the clock.

Please post this would be fun to talk about:D:D

Kale:)

Gloria

Super Moderator
Staff member
Ok..great! I have a 2 acre field to do as I like with veggies. Our season is long enough that usually if planted at the right time I can have a second crop of anything I want before frost hits. Usually one is enough. I plant straight neck sqaush, zucchini, lots and lots of tomatoes...that I jar. Last year I had around or over 250 plants of Celebrity, Early girl and Better boy tomatoes. Then I have cucumbers, bell peppers, jalopino peppers, crowder and dixie lee peas, bountiful bush string beans, purple hull peas, speckled butter beans, okra, sweet corn, watermelons, cantelope and I'm sure I left something or some things out. This list is my major concern but add a few seeds of this and that each year, just trying new vegetables. It's time to plant sweet peas and althou I love em, hubby does not so I don't bother. The local feed and seed store has cabbage plants now so it's about time to get a few rows ready and let the planting begin! I am soooo ready!

Dor

I will be planting tomatoes, cucumbers, squash, purple hull peas, bush beans, okra, sweet corn, sweet and hot peppers. This will be my first year growing this much. I have my container of seeds on the floor right now trying to figure out what I will be starting beside some tomatoes next week.

lynpenny

Super Moderator
Staff member
I have some onions to get in the ground soon. I'm still trying to decide what to plant this year. hubby says he will water and work in the garden till I'm out of classes but his Mother is having a bad patch and she is 94 so don't know when he will have to go help with her. She is an 11 hour drive away so it isn't quick trip when and if he has to go. Since we only have one car it will be a problem.

Randy

Super Moderator
Staff member
I have a few weeks left before I start things up in the greenhouse. I will start pepper plants, tomatoes, and broccoli. The rest of them, I will direct seed around Memorial Day.

K

Kale

Great to see we are on our way!
Gloria,you will be busy indeed! But,you have the weather that gives great aid.
Being limited on time stinks*lol

Dor, direct sowing outdoors?

Sad to see your MIL isn't doing well Lynpenny...but 94! Wow if I can see 94, interesting concept. I had a grandma that lived to 102years old ,she was really my cousins grandma but I lived with her (my cousin) and got to share her. She was the only sane person in the family*LOL She use to take us up in the hills and sing a tisket a tasket a green and yellow basket as we all picked raspberries . She gave me a content heart whenever she came over ;)I remember not being able to sleep if I knew my uncle was going to get her the next day..;)
My cousin reminded me all too many times that it was HER grandmother *LOL I didn't care, I shared her anyway *LOL wonderful lady and she had a white duck in her Brooklyn house that followed her in her tiny garden, I sure loved going there! Cool duck.

Bless her and all for caring for her.Have you thought about bringing her to you? Does she have others that tend her?
Blessings.:D

Randy, we can take a BIG CHANCE to set ours out around Memorial Day, I give it a few more days because we always hit low temps around the 29th! Lost almost my whole indoor sowing one year and now I wait until the first weekend of JUNE!
I ended up with one pumpkin plant that grew 85feet that year*LOL I was container gardening that year and the rain fell like never before seen in my life,worked in a panic for hours trying to save my drowning crops in those containers,it was horrible!
But now I am ready for all the showers that want to fall!
What a lesson on making Large drainage holes that was!

I'm still working on my list.I do lots of companion planting and try to rotate the best I can.So I have to really plan,my space is limited and I may give up another Veggie bed for roses *LOL So I better plan well to justify the loss of a bed *LOL

Gloria

Super Moderator
Staff member
Kale, with our warm Spring weather, Dor has the same advantage I do. We can directly sow seeds into the dirt. This is how I plant most of my garden. I usually buy a few bundles of tomato plants, yes.. I can buy them in a bundle of 50 and they are cheap! I also buy peppers, eggplant, cabbage, and collard plants to transplant.
Beans, okra, squash, cucs and all others are from seeds just planted in the tilled and fertilized dirt! Once the soil warms enough, planting begins and hope we don't get an unexpected late frost once everything is up and growing. 2007 I lost 300 tomato plants and had to start over. Now that hurt!

K

Kale

HURT INDEED! Been there! :eek:

Only I started all of mine from seed (hundreds) indoors and tended them every day for weeks on end.:eek::eek:

Kale

Gloria

Super Moderator
Staff member
garden spot

This is a pic of one of my garden spots being disced up after the garden was done last year.

Attachments

• farm 001 garden.jpg
    farm 001 garden.jpg
    169.2 KB · Views: 357

Dor

Great to see we are on our way!
Gloria,you will be busy indeed! But,you have the weather that gives great aid.
Being limited on time stinks*lol

Dor, direct sowing outdoors?

Sad to see your MIL isn't doing well Lynpenny...but 94! Wow if I can see 94, interesting concept. I had a grandma that lived to 102years old ,she was really my cousins grandma but I lived with her (my cousin) and got to share her. She was the only sane person in the family*LOL She use to take us up in the hills and sing a tisket a tasket a green and yellow basket as we all picked raspberries . She gave me a content heart whenever she came over ;)I remember not being able to sleep if I knew my uncle was going to get her the next day..;)
My cousin reminded me all too many times that it was HER grandmother *LOL I didn't care, I shared her anyway *LOL wonderful lady and she had a white duck in her Brooklyn house that followed her in her tiny garden, I sure loved going there! Cool duck.

Bless her and all for caring for her.Have you thought about bringing her to you? Does she have others that tend her?
Blessings.:D

Randy, we can take a BIG CHANCE to set ours out around Memorial Day, I give it a few more days because we always hit low temps around the 29th! Lost almost my whole indoor sowing one year and now I wait until the first weekend of JUNE!
I ended up with one pumpkin plant that grew 85feet that year*LOL I was container gardening that year and the rain fell like never before seen in my life,worked in a panic for hours trying to save my drowning crops in those containers,it was horrible!
But now I am ready for all the showers that want to fall!
What a lesson on making Large drainage holes that was!

I'm still working on my list.I do lots of companion planting and try to rotate the best I can.So I have to really plan,my space is limited and I may give up another Veggie bed for roses *LOL So I better plan well to justify the loss of a bed *LOL

Kale I am going to direct sow most of my seeds but since I have so many tomato seeds I am going to start some inside in the next week. I want to be able to get them in the ground after the last week of March. That should be time enough for the last frost date to have passed. I am going to grow some onions, cabbage, mustards and turrnips too. I have some beet and radish seeds too but haven't decided yet if I will plant them. Only if I have enough room those will be my last seeds to plant. I will be getting some Celebrity tomato plants since my county extension office show this one to be a good one for our hot, humid, weather. My cabbage will be slips I get from the feed store hopefully. I don't have a feed store close to me so I will have to looking around. I plan to go to Arkansas the last week of March so I should be able to get some things there easier than I can here.

Flower4Yeshua

Super Moderator & vegemm
Staff member
I have a few weeks left before I start things up in the greenhouse. I will start pepper plants, tomatoes, and broccoli. The rest of them, I will direct seed around Memorial Day.

REALLY!!!!! only a few more weeks...YIPPY!!!!:D

K

Kale

Dor may I suggest and encourage you to companion planting:rolleyes: If you plant those radish, even if they will not be harvested for salad; they will work as a host for the cabbage moth. I let lots of mine go to seed.
I will not eat radish,although hubby loves them he could never keep up with my harvest so I leave tons in as a host.
Anything that would want to destroy your greens (cabbage in this case) will probably go to the radish.
I also use radish (10 packets for a dollar*lol) for a green manure.I do several sowing secessions.The second or third I just pull and bury if no pest are infesting it. The last I till in.
I also use herbs to keep the cabbage moth at bay and of course a net*LOL
But you know what! :eek::eek::D they are hard to net because they are just the happiest critter I have! Two by two up to 8 but 2 always stick together flying all over the place stopping everywhere*LOL Without a worry in the world seems like they are dancing in the air!*LOL

Cabbage slips??? starters? little baby seedlings??

On onion will assist in keeping some pests at bay.:D
I don't really grow "Mustard" (hot!) greens anymore they are pretty but Never use all the harvest. Beets will help with drainage and great looking veggie*lol
I would suggest not planting the beets with the turnips.

Happy Planning!

Dor

Dor may I suggest and encourage you to companion planting:rolleyes: If you plant those radish, even if they will not be harvested for salad; they will work as a host for the cabbage moth. I let lots of mine go to seed.
I will not eat radish,although hubby loves them he could never keep up with my harvest so I leave tons in as a host.
Anything that would want to destroy your greens (cabbage in this case) will probably go to the radish.
I also use radish (10 packets for a dollar*lol) for a green manure.I do several sowing secessions.The second or third I just pull and bury if no pest are infesting it. The last I till in.
I also use herbs to keep the cabbage moth at bay and of course a net*LOL
But you know what! :eek::eek::D they are hard to net because they are just the happiest critter I have! Two by two up to 8 but 2 always stick together flying all over the place stopping everywhere*LOL Without a worry in the world seems like they are dancing in the air!*LOL

Cabbage slips??? starters? little baby seedlings??

On onion will assist in keeping some pests at bay.:D
I don't really grow "Mustard" (hot!) greens anymore they are pretty but Never use all the harvest. Beets will help with drainage and great looking veggie*lol
I would suggest not planting the beets with the turnips.

Happy Planning!

Thanks Kale, I will do companion gardening. I have a great book, Square foot Gardening given to me by a good friend. I shows a lot about Sq ft gardening and where to place everything. I need to get some strong string to divide my squares in my raised beds. It looks like lot of fun. At the back of your raised beds it shows how to construct metal pipes so your pole beans and tomatoes can climb up them. I am not sure yet if I will do that or build some teepees from bamboo stakes.

lynpenny

Super Moderator
Staff member
I guess my mil will be going in a rest home this next week. they are cleaning out her apt. this weekend. my hubby didn't go as his back is hurting and he doesn't want to try to drive that far by himself. like he said he can't do anything when he gets there and he is hurting really bad now. he is trying to get a shot for it and they gave him some new pills but it takes time for gabapentin to get in your system. He is waiting to get an appointment in Temple. You know when you have a flair up you don't get in to dr.s right away.

Randy

Super Moderator
Staff member
April 15 is our last official frost date, but I have lost plantings twice by depending on that. I figure I am safe by May 15, but at least by Memorial Day, the soil has warmed enough for decent germination.

Dor

I started my tomatoes today. So far 6 varieties and more to plant tomorrow at least 6 more. I have so many and want to get a jump start on them.

Dale

Super Moderator
Staff member
Don't know how much garden I am going to be able to do since I am sorta working again this year. We shall see. I am so ready for spring regardless if I plant a garden.

K

Kale

Dor,Great! Companion planting is the best way to go!
Be careful with that "Squarefoot Gardening book..I do not see it proper for some of those written plans they simply do not give enough room for the plant to flourish.
It sure looks wonderful on paper.You will have to work with it. I tried:(
Other information that is in there is fine:).
Are your toms from seed...?

Sorry to hear about your MIL Lyn,and your Hubby....

Randy we have the same last frost date; but I can bet you my delicate crops wont be out until the first weekend of JUNE!We had 32deg around the 24th -26th of May last year and a real COLD FRONT ! Last year I had 7 rows of 25-20ft by 4feet and they all went delayed by about 3-4weeks because they were planted too soon against my advise.
I think it takes them that long to gather their selves after that cold chills them.I didn't start all of those from seed some where donated...
Mine are shelved and super duper covered with plastic and tarps and whatever I can find every night and sometime all day.Just too cold for my little seedlings *LOL
What zone are you in?
Last harvest for toms and peppers and eggplants is when ,for you?
I bet you then have about 125 days till fall clean up...
I lost much planting on or after Memorial Day.

Gardenforums.com is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com