Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Pumpkin seeds sprouting inside pumpkin??

Default Pumpkin seeds sprouting inside pumpkin??

HELP!

I have never seen this before
    . I'm cleaning out my wonderful little pie pumpkins and saving the seeds, and SOME, okay, MANY of these seeds are already sending out ROOTS!!

HUH?

Does this mean I need to put those guys in dirt, like, immediately??
    Do I keep them moist to save them? Seems really EARLY to start plants NOW.

HELP, I need advice!

Hey there Scarey. This is a very common occurance ( in a lot of fruits and veggies)especially when conditions are just right, heat humidity and such. This is a natural process of re-seeding and decomp. The veggie is fine to eat and the seeds are a great bonus. So what to do. As you are aware pumpkins grow and take over areas of even the largest size. And yes you are correct as it is not the right time, however you can plant your sprouting seeds if you have an area protected from frost and freeze. If not toss them in the compost and maybe just maybe they will survive. The other seeds, you can save or also toss in the compost and by gosh in the spring you will have sprouting pumpkins. My son and hubbs used an old pumpkin for target practice and the seeds that got scattered are sprouting! Not in the right place but none the less free pumpkins!

you can take a drive up here with your little sprouts and we can plant them in the greenhouse....When we were in Sacramento and would find this we just put them in at the edge of the compost and covered them with straw...come spring they were growing and a head start on the plants...but not sure where you are they would survive....
    but for next year as you have a small space for your veggies...you might want to grow things up such as your pumpkins...on a fence...
    "And the LORD will guide you continually and satisfy your desire in scorched places and make your bones strong; and you shall be like a well watered garden, like a spring of water, whose waters do not fail."

Wow..I don't know much about pumpkins but I'd take a chance of planting a couple in a container inside and maybe transplant them in the Spring.

Good luck! It could end up like the pink cuban squash I had. I sent seeds to a friend in Alask and she planted them in her green house. They took over. LOL Keep us posted on how they do!

I remember that little pinky...alwasy makes me think twice about squash plants.
    "And the LORD will guide you continually and satisfy your desire in scorched places and make your bones strong; and you shall be like a well watered garden, like a spring of water, whose waters do not fail."

Kale Guest

*LOL !!!
    Scarez,
    I don't believe I have ever read or heard of such a thing! If I did read it it sure didn't register*LOL
    Do you have a picture!!!!!!! This is just too interesting....
    You actually see roots! No way!!!*lol

When can you set your seedlings out safely?
    Here is the 1st week of June; way too early.Can plant sooner if you watch and cover and pray.

Ok Now..Crabber, How do you know of this, have you personally seen this too!???
    Or where did you read or find out??
    Inquiring mind here needs help!
    Yes, Crabber, I remember PINKY! Crazy squash indeed!*LOL!
    What other veggies / fruit!! Crabber??
    Flower4Yeshua, you actually saw this too!!!??
    he he he he.

I want to see!Someone, anyone!! (smile) Scarez, take a pic!!!!!!!!!!

Crabber, can this occur here in MI. !?? (confused)

Kale (cheese smile)

Yes dear I have actually seen this...LOL...you do bring a warm smile to my heart...not only in pumpkins but in a few different types of winter squash...Now have to say never thought of taking a picture...but for my dear the next time it will be my first task...

Quote Originally Posted by Kale View Post
    *LOL !!!
    Scarez,
    I don't believe I have ever read or heard of such a thing! If I did read it it sure didn't register*LOL
    Do you have a picture!!!!!!! This is just too interesting....
    You actually see roots! No way!!!*lol

When can you set your seedlings out safely?
    Here is the 1st week of June; way too early.Can plant sooner if you watch and cover and pray.

Ok Now..Crabber, How do you know of this, have you personally seen this too!???
    Or where did you read or find out??
    Inquiring mind here needs help!
    Yes, Crabber, I remember PINKY! Crazy squash indeed!*LOL!
    What other veggies / fruit!! Crabber??
    Flower4Yeshua, you actually saw this too!!!??
    he he he he.

I want to see!Someone, anyone!! (smile) Scarez, take a pic!!!!!!!!!!

Crabber, can this occur here in MI. !?? (confused)

Kale (cheese smile)

I thought I was the only one that remembered Pinky! LOL that squash made it's way literally around the world! Sometimes I forget how long some of us have actually been together.

Kale yes I have had many veggies and fruits begin reproducing within
    themselves. Don't think I have any pics but it is most common in squashes, melons even tomatoes and peppers do this. It has a few rules for this to happen, 1 is moisture, the other is heat, and of course a healthy fruit. Usually you see the sprout fronm the seed itself, I have never had any that grew leaves as I would imagine the fruit would be well past it's point of use and on to the compost. Next time I get one I'll take a pic and post for you. I have also had beans sprout on the vine. I don't see why it would not happen in MI especially if you have fruit that might be stored inside during winter. If you bring a pumpkin in from outside where it has been chilled and leave sitting on the counter for a couple weeks it is very possible you would have seeds sprouting.

10. Default

Hey Kale,

Yes it even happens here in Michigan. Besides squash or pumpkins, I've had it occur within peppers as well.

If you can't plant them right away, they are no good as they will die so don't save that seed.

SW Oregon, What kind of winter do you get?

If you can keep them protected, they may survive.

Might be fun to try.

Ron