Search results

GardenForums.com a friendly and growing community of gardeners. We feature a Garden Discussion Forum and Garden Photo Gallery. It's a fun and friendly place to talk with other gardeners, ask questions, share you knowledge, view and post photos and more! Whether you're a master gardener, or brand new to the hobby, you'll find something of interest here.

1. B

How do I Know When my Corn is Ready for Harvest?

So my corn is looking really good. The ears are getting big and seem like they may be ready to start picking. How can I be sure my corn is ready to harvest?
  2. B

Ultimate Potatoe Soil?

I keep hearing about bone meal and blood meal as organic fertilizers. Blood meal sounds like it would high nitrogen. That wouldnt be the best for potatoes. The bone meal my be better. I think I will add a little more sand. I havent done this in a while , but , I can get free manure at the...
  3. B

When are potatoes done?

Well I dug potatoes last week. I believe I had around 15 red pontiac plants and 15 white potatoes plants. I think the average was a little more than a pound per plant. Maybe 30-35 lbs of potatoes. I was a little disappointed in the pay out. Seems like I have had more potatoes off half the plants...
  4. B

When are potatoes done?

Well the plants are starting to turn yellow and appear as though they are dieing. I think around the first of the week we are going to dig them up and see.
  5. B

Ultimate Potatoe Soil?

I think I live in zone 3. I am in Northeastern Oklahoma. I was thinking maybe tilling in some dead leaves into the soil next go around to give it a little more fluff. I have added some sand to the garden here and there. It seems to drain pretty well. The portion of the garden I put the potatoes...
  6. B

Ultimate Potatoe Soil?

I have been wondering what elements would create the best type of soil for growing potatoes? What type of fertilizer do the potatoes enjoy and what could be added to create a good rooting environment that wouldnt restrict the growth? Also lets discuss the same about onions so I dont have...
  7. B

Squash rotting on the vine

How exactly is that done Ron? Do you swab the inside of the flower and re apply to another flower?
  8. B

How to keep rabbits away?

Certain garden areas I have are taking a beating by the cottontail rabbits.They ate all of the jalepeno plants and a few squash.Not mention they have been snacking in some tomato plasts as well. I was hearing something about either bone meal or blood meal will keep them away. I am open for...
  9. B

Has it hurt them in any way?
  10. B

Online Source for Heirloom Seeds?

Thanks guys ! I will check these sites out.
  11. B

Online Source for Heirloom Seeds?

I cant find anywhere to purchase heirloom seeds here in town. Are there any places online that are better than the others to purchase them?
  12. B

I have a squash plant (zuchinni) that is starting to produce. The first one got a rotten spot on the end and died. I have had this happen in the past also. I had contributed it to the flower staying attached to the end of it and decomposing. Could that be the problem or is it something else...
  13. B

Keeping my own seed

I live in Northeastern Oklahoma. How do I know if they are heirloom or not?
  14. B

Keeping my own seed

I wish to keep seed from vegetables this yr in order to plant it next yr. My vegetable array include corn,tomato,cucumber,yellow squash,zuchini,green beans(two different varieties) and potatoes. What do I need to know about curing seeds? What is the best way to go about harvesting the seed?
  15. B

Organic pesticides

Wonderful!
  16. B

Organic pesticides

Thanks Wombat , I like to BS.
  17. B

Organic Fertilizers

What are some reasonable cost alternatives for organic fertilization? I have been using chemical fertilizers in the past. However, the next season all of my nutrients have gone away. I need something that will stick around a little while.
  18. B

Organic pesticides

What can I use to deter pests from garden that wont put too many chemicals in the fruit?
  19. B

When are potatoes done?

I live in Northeastern Oklahoma. I planted red Lasoda and a variety of white potatoes. The name of the whites escapes me right now.
  20. B

When are potatoes done?

So I have been gardening recreationally for a few yrs. I have had good luck with potatoes once and bad luck a few times. How can you tell when the potatoes are through growing?

Gardenforums.com is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com

Back