Search results

GardenForums.com a friendly and growing community of gardeners. We feature a Garden Discussion Forum and Garden Photo Gallery. It's a fun and friendly place to talk with other gardeners, ask questions, share you knowledge, view and post photos and more! Whether you're a master gardener, or brand new to the hobby, you'll find something of interest here.

1. R

Growing tomatoes year around

I heard its night time low temperature in the 70F or higher that cause tomatoes to stop producing. So klevelyn has a point, too warm and the plant stops producing. Where are you, and what the typical high day and night temperatures of your wet and dry season?
  2. R

Plant Care

Muddy leaves isn't a real problem, but if you want to clean them off it's ok. I don't worry about removing yellowing, dying leaves when the plant is still growing, just let them go. If adding amendments to the soil in a planted garden, be careful to stay clear of the roots when digging the...
  3. R

Late start for Florida winter garden

Just updating - winter is well past here in NW Florida. I've already set out tomatoes a month ago. Because the winter garden was maturing at a slower pace than how the weather was warming up, I wasn't sure if I would get anything before the summer heat was here. The empty half of the plot...
  4. R

My veggie garden

Crabbergirl, Hope you got your lights. If anyone's checking, Home Depot carries Philips brand and Lowes carries GE. Philips' 6500k temperature bulbs are called Daylight Deluxe and GE's 6500k bulbs are called Daylight. The advice I picked up for plant growth was to use 6500k when you can get...
  5. R

Thanks for the encouragement, Crabbergirl. The seedlings appear to be fine after a night at 25 degrees and another night at 30 degree. On the plants I set, lettuce was the only one I was worry might be frost damaged. But everything is fine. Perry and Quincey are way over the other side...
  6. R

And here comes the cold! Northwest Florida temperatures drops to ~26F tonight, ~28-30F tomorrow night and seed has just sprouted on a number of stuff. This is first time I've experienced below freezing temperature while plants are just at the seed leaves/first leaves stage. Normally, winter...
  7. R

Thanks for putting that thought in my head, Mainegal ;). Florida got more snakes than any state in the union and I'm quite afraid of of the things.
  8. R

Yes, it is, and it may be over whelming for some first timers. I would have started smaller, but they wanted to go all in. We got the supplies at a "feed and seed" store, so seeds were cheap and the minimum seed quantity was enough seed for a 100 foot row. Both my sister-in-law and my wife had...
  9. R

Hey! from NW Florida

Thanks, everyone. I'm sure the forum will be fun.
  10. R

Muscles sore after yesterday's start: planting a vegetable garden for my sister-in-law's family. After I suggest she put in a vegetable garden, she decided to gang-press me into it, as well. Once her family decide to go for it, they were excite to get started. So yesterday we seeded Nante...
  11. R

Hey! from NW Florida

Just wasting time on the 'Net before getting back to planting. I'm in the Florida Panhandle, have what passes for a garden here. A bit of flowers and some container tomatos is all I've been doing for several years. This year I'm ratching up a notch: my sister-in-law wants my help with her...

Gardenforums.com is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com

Back