Search results

GardenForums.com a friendly and growing community of gardeners. We feature a Garden Discussion Forum and Garden Photo Gallery. It's a fun and friendly place to talk with other gardeners, ask questions, share you knowledge, view and post photos and more! Whether you're a master gardener, or brand new to the hobby, you'll find something of interest here.

1. X

New with a few questions

I'm going to wait a while to replant the new ones, I think i'm going to have to transplant them into a pot or something, they are getting way to big.
  2. X

New with a few questions

Well even after my efforts to prevent it, I lost my cantaloupe plants to frost the other night. I have new ones germinating inside just in case anyways, and they are much bigger and healthier then the ones I planted outside, so are the majority of the other plants I germinated.
  3. X

New with a few questions

My bin is sitting on the ground with a screen to keep rodents out. I filled te bin clear full so I don't have any room for anything else. How can I gauge when I need to add water to my pile?
  4. X

New with a few questions

Well I have a few of the raised beds filled up with leaves, waiting for another nice day to finish the rest. Today I did manage to get my new composter together and filled it with fresh damp grass clippings. It is just a square plastic bin about 2 and a half feet in size and about 4 feet deep...
  5. X

New with a few questions

I have had them out of the watering tray for the past two days, and everything looks much better, I'm not going to put them back in, I'll just manually water when needed, they were giving way to much water.
  6. X

New with a few questions

I have a whole bunch of leaves, and I put some in my raised bed, but its really hard to till them under the dirt with the hand tiller I have, any suggestions?
  7. X

New with a few questions

I like that plan, they did have stuff growing in it before a few flowers, hot peppers and bell peppers I know for sure. I have a composter and want to start using it here soon, my mom actually gave it to me, she didn't want it anymore. I don't think my soil is all to bad, it was pretty easy...
  8. X

New with a few questions

Or do you think I should just try my luck with what I have, and then add leaves and such into the mix at the end of the season to make it better for next year.
  9. X

New with a few questions

I think i'm going to need to look into another source of sand then. I can get 2 tons of compost for about 40 bucks, which based off your formula should be enough for my needs, but the sand is going to be an issue. I'm going to have to look into a bulk buy of sand, because I would need a lot...
  10. X

New with a few questions

I hope they pull through, but if not, i can always plant more. I'm not sure what type of leaves they are, I don't think they are oak, I also have a lot of pine needles. My family owns a business, with a good bit of yard so we have a bigger lawnmower with a big grass clipping collector, so I...
  11. X

New with a few questions

Thank you! I was thinking of digging out all the clay and starting from scratch but I looked at prices, and that would be really pricey. What I plan on doing is getting some quickrete all purpose sand and compost and do what crab said. Once I figure out the right combination, I will do...
  12. X

New with a few questions

Scratch that, it would be well over $200 to get all the topsoil I would need to fill my raised beds.
  13. X

New with a few questions

I was also thinking, since I have raised beds, why not just dig out all the clay and buy some good topsoil/compost mix and start off with a good base rather than trying to fix what I have?
  14. X

New with a few questions

I have never heard of straw bale gardening but I may look into it. I have access to a big pickup truck, even a dump truck, but i'm not sure where to get compost around here, or the prices. I think i'm going to just try to ammend the soil I have, its honestly not to bad, I tilled it all by hand...
  15. X

New with a few questions

Thank you very much for the reply, how much sand would I need to add to the clay? I know that I need course sand, but i'm curious to how many 50lbs bags I would need. Would the quickrete all purpose sand work? The spinach are the worst looking ones out of the bunch, they seem to be dying, 1 or...
  16. X

New with a few questions

Hello everyone, I'm new here and fairly new to gardening. I have had a small garden before, but did minimal work to it. I bought a house and it has 6 raised beds. Here is the first question. The soil is pretty bad, mostly clay, and was difficult to break up. I don't have any compost ready, so I...

Gardenforums.com is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com

Back