Search results

GardenForums.com a friendly and growing community of gardeners. We feature a Garden Discussion Forum and Garden Photo Gallery. It's a fun and friendly place to talk with other gardeners, ask questions, share you knowledge, view and post photos and more! Whether you're a master gardener, or brand new to the hobby, you'll find something of interest here.

1. M

Dead wood Hydrangea pruning

Thanks as always. I know the acid helps turn the flowers blue rather than pink which is a plus. I think I've finally got the concept. As I said earlier, the thing that threw me off, was the fact that the plants did nothing last year and I never cut any of the stems. Last year's damage was late...
  2. M

Dead wood Hydrangea pruning

It's been awhile since I've posted, and I have asked a similar question in the past, but I'm unsure of the specifics. I just need to make sure that I am completely clear on this. If you have Hydrangeas that bloom on dead wood, is there any pruning that should be done in the spring? Do I cut...
  3. M

Holly bush issues

Another year begins! I've been assisting a senior citizen friend with her yard for three years. During that time, I have been battling a black fungus/mold. It's been difficult but I thought we had it under control last year. I haven't paid any attention to her bushes this past winter. Yesterday...
  4. M

Knockout Roses winterizing

I'm still trying to find specific details in regard to these knockouts as far as cutting them back. I think she wants them taken down as close to the ground as possible. When I say "as possible", I mean somewhere in the 6 to 8" range. I'm finding all sorts of information. Some say to not touch...
  5. M

Deadwood Hydrangea winterizing

I forgot that she also added a Vanilla Strawberry hydrangea this spring. She ordered it online and paid around $40 for it. The thing is pathetic and finally bloomed one cluster about a month ago. It has three or four stems or stalks that all grow outward rather than upward. It is quite possible...
  6. M

I had posted pictures of the leaves this past summer and you already determined that they are old wood types. She has one of the types that can be cut down. It's the type that gets about 4' tall with big white balls. I'm not concerned with that one. I'm not touching the other ones at all. My...
  7. M

Great! Thanks. I'm not much of a gardener and have already killed quite a few things this past summer. I don't want to add more.
  8. M

Does anyone have any experience with Knockout roses? I'm getting all kinds of conflicting information on what to do with these things. There are four in total that need to be trimmed back for the winter. I've also heard/read that they should be brought inside but I don't know if that means a...
  9. M

We've already determined that a friend of mine has three hydrangeas that shouldn't be cut down at the end of the year (deadwood?). My question is how to winterize them. I don't think she has ever done anything for any of her hydrangeas. Three of them have only bloomed the first year she planted...
  10. M

"Yummy" plant identification

I have two dogs that both have sensitive stomachs. When they start to have issues, they immediately head to this plant to have a snack. Any idea what it is? My mom called it "bee balm" for a long time but then I saw something called bee balm in a nursery and it wasn't the same. Thanks...
  11. M

Hydrangeas blooming issues

FINALLY, I'm getting around to posting some pictures of these Hydrangeas that won't bloom. Again, it's a friends yard and she has three plants that won't produce blooms. Here's the first one: http://i1048.photobucket.com/albums/s365/mfsinger/IMG_0124.jpg...
  12. M

Delphinium issues

Argh. Another one gone. I'm not going to bother with anymore plants around their house. They need to officially retire and move to Oregon anyway.
  13. M

Hydrangea dying

OK. Good to know. At least I don't have to put anymore effort into it.
  14. M

Hydrangeas blooming issues

A friend of mine has a few hydrangeas around her property. One of them blooms every year with no problems. Another was added last year and seems to be producing a few blossoms right now. The problem is that the other three never bloom. I did some research last year and read that some hydrangeas...
  15. M

Delphinium issues

Today's my day for posts. This is number two of three total questions. My mom bought a delphinium that she planted in a full sun location. I read that they do not like full sun and it started to show it so I attempted to dig it up and put it in a pot with some fresh potting soil until we could...
  16. M

Hydrangea dying

My mother has a hydrangea that is dying. It survived the frosty nights we had about a month ago here in Michigan but the blooms were damaged so she cut them way back. The plant started to show signs of recovery as small leaves were sprouting. Unfortunately, the place that she had originally...
  17. M

Delphinium "sprouts" for lack of a better word

OK, good to know. If anyone else has any idea please let me know so I can research it. This sprawling thing only started last year and I think she's had it for quite a few years. It got worse this year. I don't remember much of a bloom on it from last year because it was pretty late in the...
  18. M

I don't know my plants but, by the way my mom's friend described this plant, I don't think it is one. Here are those photos. As you can see, all of those little other ones including the big one growing inside the evergreen bush (ugly bush) came from the main plant. What is it and can those be...
  19. M

I'll post some pics later today of the plant in question. I'm slowly starting to get the hang of this thing they call gardening! I appreciate the info on the hydrangea as I wanted to yank that for my mom. The term sucker just makes it sound like it's a bad thing.
  20. M

A friend has what she thinks is a delphinium. I haven't verified this yet as its leaves are different from the one I just bought my mom. Of course, different varieties, different leaves. Anyway, last year I noticed that there were a couple of single sprouts coming up that were away from the...

Gardenforums.com is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com

Back