Search results

GardenForums.com a friendly and growing community of gardeners. We feature a Garden Discussion Forum and Garden Photo Gallery. It's a fun and friendly place to talk with other gardeners, ask questions, share you knowledge, view and post photos and more! Whether you're a master gardener, or brand new to the hobby, you'll find something of interest here.

1. T

Gardening App for Iphone

Hello again everyone. I've been hard at work in the garden and out. I just published my first iphone app and it happens to be a gardening app. I tried to cram as much into it as possible. I put in a plant database, a pest id tab and a toolbox with tons of links. Does anyone use an...
  2. T

New... New... New... Everything

Yeah, you'd need a lot of soil to hill it up for potatoes. You'd be surprised at root crops and how shallow soil they can use. I plant the Nantes variety of carrots which is stubby. As long as you don't do parsnips you'll be in great shape. Jason
  3. T

New Podcast

Hey all. I put out a new podcast last week on Pea plants. I've got one coming the week on the general history of some common garden vegetables. You can find the show by searching itunes for self sufficient gardener or by checking out www.theselfsufficientgardener.com. I appreciate any...
  4. T

New... New... New... Everything

Hi James. I think some here mentioned that root crops are great. Thats because you can control the soil and they take up so little room. I personally don't plant any large plants (tomatoes, peppers, peas, beans, etc.) in a raised bed, they just take up all the room and they grow well...
  5. T

I planted........

What have I planted? What haven't I planted! Peas, beets, turnips, onions, carrots, lettuce, spinach. I've got tomatoes, garden huckleberries, bush cherry and goji berry seeds planted indoors. Jason
  6. T

Soil Types

Sounds to me like you were feeding the "life source" in the soil! Not killing it. Jason
  7. T

Soil Types

Hey Tonya. I got mine from a local Forestry Division nursery. I am sure if you google Virginia Forestry you can find your state nursery. The trees there are really cheap. Randy--you knew what I was getting at then... I was just curious as I had heard that raw manure would do that but if...
  8. T

Soil Types

Randy--Do you ever have any problems with your plants growing a lot of green material but not many blooms? Just curious. Tonya--Thank you for the info and your comments. Where are you located? That is funny but not really about the light. Neighbors!! Right off hand, I'm always...
  9. T

My favorite book

I'm not sure it qualifies but Rosemary Morrow's The Earth User's Guide to Permaculture. Jason
  10. T

Soil Types

Oh I didn't take it that way at all. I guess I just feel a little guilty about it. I hope he doesn't feel like I'm trading off of his name. I'm fortunate with soil. I've got a nice loam here but I'm pretty sure it was hauled in by the previous owners. I was at my little vacation...
  11. T

Soil Types

Hey Tonya, thank you. Yeah, I feel like a bit of a copycat. I got my webpage set up and talked to a friend about podcasting and followed his advice to pick a niche. I picked gardening which I've been doing for many years and love. So by proxy I named the podcast what it is. Then I found...
  12. T

Soil Types

Hey Dor Thanks, your response what what I was looking for. Everything I read and have experience says that adding the organic matter to any soil type obviously improves it. I think clay is pretty good soil. I never had too many problems with it (but I never grew carrots!). Jason
  13. T

Soil Types

Hi again all. As some of you know, I send out a podcast called The Self-Sufficient Gardener. In the latest episode I talked about the different soil types and what the advantages and disadvantages are of each. I'm just curious what everyone thinks about their soil and what they find grows...
  14. T

Starting Onions From Seed

I just direct plant mine. You have to make sure the soil is loosey goosey or they will revolt! J
  15. T

Hello from Kentucky

Thanks for the welcome everyone. Glad to find a place to talk gardening year round! Allen, love my Glock! I hate snow. This has been the worst year for it in KY for a very long time. We've been getting about 6 inches a week for the past 3-4 weeks it seems. It has just been drifting...
  16. T

Hello from Kentucky

Greetings everyone. I found this forum because its been a snowy year and cold and I can't wait to get back into the garden. This is my medicine until then. I've been gardening a long time. I've grown just about anything that will grow here in the great state of Kentucky. I'm working on a...

Gardenforums.com is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com

Back