Bark splitting from my Idaho Locust

GardenForums.com a friendly and growing community of gardeners. We feature a Garden Discussion Forum and Garden Photo Gallery. It's a fun and friendly place to talk with other gardeners, ask questions, share you knowledge, view and post photos and more! Whether you're a master gardener, or brand new to the hobby, you'll find something of interest here.

prr

I just went out to weed the base around around my Idaho Locust (probably 5 years old). I saw that the bark is splitting off from the inside of the tree trunk. This is the first time that I've noticed this---I am definitely hoping that this isn't an incurable disease or something like that.

Bark 1B.jpg

Hi Paul! Your locust tree looks severely damaged...
I would carefully remove the dead bark to see what is happening...and check for any live bark...and definitely check for beetle larva markings on the inside of the dead bark....

I have attached a couple more pics here. I can't see too far inside, and I'm not sure what beetle larva markings look like.

Should I just peel off the bark that is coming off? I've never done anything like this before.
Bark4.jpg
Bark3.jpg

Definitely remove all the dead bark to see where the live bark is!
My feeling is the the tree is mostly dead and you will need to remove the tree...😢

Too bad... I'll remove some of it this week and post an update. Fwiw, about 2 thirds of branches have blossoms on them. Don't know if that is relevant or not to this...

Too bad... I'll remove some of it this week and post an update. Fwiw, about 2 thirds of branches have blossoms on them. Don't know if that is relevant or not to this...
That is a good sign that the tree is still holding on ...but do remove all the dead bark back to where it is still alive...and remove any dead branches to clean it up.....

Well unfortunately, pull is what I did. I didn't read that last post of yours.

Well this is what I have now. One pic is the inside of the bark that was just removed.

I do have one question. Should I treat that bark I just removed, as diseased, and throw it away? Or can I cut it up, and then bury it in the ground near the Idaho Locust?

New Bark 2-01.jpgNew Bark 2-02.jpgNew Bark-01.jpgNew Bark-02.jpgNew Bark-03.jpgNew Bark-04.jpg

I guess I have another question. Does whatever is left on the trunk, look healthy enough? The weather here in southern california desert isn't getting below freezing, it is generally in the 40s overnight low, if not warmer.

Also, when I trim the branches, they are all on one side, like in these pics.

Is it ok if I trim each non-blossoming branch down to where it branches out from the trunk? Or would that be going too far? Branches1.jpgBranches2.jpg

You have been busy! I'd use a sharp knife to trim more of the dead bark back to live bark...you will notice the difference.
Looks like half the tree is dead and you can remove all the dead branches....back the the trunk...

Best to burn the bark to kill any pathogens, and diseases that can still spread ...best not to bury it!!

OK, I'll use a blade, cut back the dead branches to the trunk, and then burn the removed trunk.

Is there something in the technique of using a knife, to remove the dead bark from the trunk? I mean, what is the problem with simply pulling it off?

I went out and removed a few of the smaller branches. 90-100% of the remaining dead branches spring from this single large branch. In the 2nd and 3rd pic, I gave you two views of the same branch. In the middle pic, the dead branch is on the left; on the right-hand or third pic, the dead branch is on the right. OK, in the first pic I have three proposed cutting lines. I'm not sure which would be best, and since I'll have to saw this I'd like to do it right the first time. Which place would be best to saw off this dead branch?

20240507 EDIT.jpg20240507_070207.jpg20240507_070216.jpg

Gardenforums.com is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com

Back