Blackspot on roses

GardenForums.com a friendly and growing community of gardeners. We feature a Garden Discussion Forum and Garden Photo Gallery. It's a fun and friendly place to talk with other gardeners, ask questions, share you knowledge, view and post photos and more! Whether you're a master gardener, or brand new to the hobby, you'll find something of interest here.

Rhoni

Okay...got a new rose last season (Betty Boop), and now it has blackspot. I am an organic gardener. Any advice? Our climate was wet until last week. No more rain now for 4 to 5 months.

Pick off the infected leaves and dispose of them, as well as any fallen leaves!
In a gallon spray bottle add a teaspoon of backing soda (bicarbonate of soda) and a few drops of liquid dish soap and spray the upper and lower sides of the leaves!
If you have mulch around your roses, remove it and dispose of, since the spores will linger there and will be splashed up back on the roses when it rains or when you water! Apply a new layer of mulch.
BTW! Welcome to our forum!

...oops....remember to wash your hands after handling the infected leaves as well as any tools you use!!

Great advise Ron! :) Btw, he helped me save my roses last year and they're doing awesome this year!

Welcome to the forum! There's tons of great info here!

That's where I was going too Ron. Also do not top water your roses or water late in the day or at night. Water resting on the plant can cause black spot. Treat them like a nightshade;)

Gardenforums.com is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com

Back