Coops current landscaping project...

GardenForums.com a friendly and growing community of gardeners. We feature a Garden Discussion Forum and Garden Photo Gallery. It's a fun and friendly place to talk with other gardeners, ask questions, share you knowledge, view and post photos and more! Whether you're a master gardener, or brand new to the hobby, you'll find something of interest here.

gardencoop

Hey guys what's shakin?! Here's a long story short. I had to cut down a very large tree in my backyard and the tree trimmers left me with a nice sized stump. Instead of cutting it down further, or even trying to remove it, I decided I want to make it an organic planter and add some style to this corner of my backyard.

I started hollowing out the center of the stump because I want to plant something that will drape all over it. I have lavender around it, so I was thinking about a succulent or something to cover the stump completely... Not sure what to plant yet. I've got more time so I'll keep searching

You can see by the pics that I have done a lot. I removed the old flimsy, dried and ugly wood fence. Added a new composite white fence w lattice so I can have something grow up it. (suggestions anyone) Redid the watering to drip to conserve water and be more efficient and a few other things

Advice and suggestions are welcome with open arms! :p

Here are some pics w the process

Here it all is from the beginning
1302.jpg

CooperSnacksGardenMarch2010024.jpg

Added some lavender and rock boarder (changed lavender out after the tree was removed. Some died and I wanted a diff variety)
139.jpg

131.jpg

Now for some contrasting color w red bark and moisture control and bye bye old rotten fence
DSC05846.jpg

108.jpg

Bye bye tree, hello new fence, sunlight and space! :D
156.jpg

Planted some new lavender
DSC06105.jpg

DSC06113.jpg

Switched to drip irrigation (have open ports for the stump and stuff to grow on white fence)
DSC06110.jpg

DSC06112.jpg

Good ol stumpy (width is pretty much there, just need to go a lil deeper. currently about 6 inches in depth)(water helps soften to wood to drill)
DSC06111.jpg

DSC06114.jpg

Well that's where I am for now. Just gotta finish hollowing the tree, and then planting some stuff and BAM, done! :D

Thanks for checkin out my post! I am new to landscaping and gardening. Been doin it for about 2 years now and this is my first house! I love it and plan on doing much more! I will post a few other projects I have been working on as well! As always, suggestions, advice and more are welcomed w open arms and a smile! :D

Thanks,
Greg

Very good Greg!
I have a stump from a maple that we had to take down a few years ago.
2 years ago I decided to do as you are doing!
I only made a few large holes and planted sempervivums and a few jovibarba!
They didn't do very well, because fungi started to grow out of the area around where I planted them, and this growth kept pushing the plants out of the holes!
I know now that I should have removed more of the wood and make one large hole like you are in the process of doing.
I removed the plants and placed potted ones on top of the stump, it actually looks good with the pots!
I would suggest that you make a few drainage holes to get rid of excess water.

http://gardenforums.com/forum/attachment.php?attachmentid=2856&d=1253978308

Attachments

• 001.jpg
    001.jpg
    171 KB · Views: 354
  • 002.jpg
    002.jpg
    199.5 KB · Views: 363
Wow looks great, Ron!

I did add a few drainage holes for that exact reason! Didn't want water to pool up too much!

Now, what to plant for SoCal weather?! Hmmmmmm :p

I always hate to take out a tree but living in the swamp they often take themselves out. Stumps are costly to remove and I too, make use of them.;) I do as Ron did. I have several stumps that I have large pots on, and it does add height for flowing plants. I have found if you pour old cooking oil on the stumps, it keeps them from getting termites. Termites will make a home in your pots too. I hope hollowing out your tree works well for you. Maybe being in a drier area you will have better luck. Florida is rife with termites :eek:
You have some nice stuff going on. Keep up the great work

Wow! That stump's taller than I thought. I needa get some of that red bark mulch, it looks way cool. Good work! :)

Hey Ron,
That prickly pear cactus I got by the lake is doing great! But wow, you got a ton of it. Does yours make yellow flowers?

Hey Crabbergirl,
You're right. :) It's hot and dry here too and I never see any termites. I haven't even seen very many bugs period, lol!

Thanks guys makes my hard work feel even more better seeing your comments. We don't usually have termites too often, but it does happen. The tree had those weird beetles that ate it from the inside out. It was buckled and ready to start crashing down on my property ;)

Current pic taken right now. Gonna finish drilling the middle tomorrow, then plant. Still not sure what to plant. Any suggestions? I live in Woodland Hills CA zone 9 I believe. :) Full sun all day long

Attachments

• ImageUploadedByTapatalk1311114195.543939.jpg
    ImageUploadedByTapatalk1311114195.543939.jpg
    42.7 KB · Views: 412
Sedums and other succulants will do nicely! The sedum will grow over the edge (depends on species)!

Josh
Hey Ron,
That prickly pear cactus I got by the lake is doing great! But wow, you got a ton of it. Does yours make yellow flowers?
Mine are a pale yellow (almost translucent) with a reddish centre, and are native to my area! They are a protected species and all the ones offered for sale started from a few seeds taken from the wild!
It is amost time to cut some pads off to keep it tame! I'll let the cut seal and then place them on some loose soil-less mix to root!
All my other opuntias are doing great, and need a few more years before they bloom! I think I have 7, or so, species/cultivars!

There you go Greg!
You can plant an opuntia in your trunk!;)

I was doin some research and I think some donkey tail succulents would look amazing once fully grown. Will update as soon as I'm done w the drilling!

coop that sounds like a plan. I want to see a picture of the donkey tails if you plant them.

Update. The stump is as hollowed out as I like. It's about 8 inches in total depth but there are deeper holes for roots to grow. Also, added a vent hole in the back so we don't drown the plants. Will be planting the donkey tail later today. :)

Attachments

• ImageUploadedByTapatalk1311266986.176655.jpg
    ImageUploadedByTapatalk1311266986.176655.jpg
    40 KB · Views: 393
  • ImageUploadedByTapatalk1311266999.994873.jpg
    ImageUploadedByTapatalk1311266999.994873.jpg
    42.4 KB · Views: 390
  • ImageUploadedByTapatalk1311267019.528440.jpg
    ImageUploadedByTapatalk1311267019.528440.jpg
    44.7 KB · Views: 391
Thanks. Me too all planted and done. Now the fun part of watching it all grow :)

Attachments

• ImageUploadedByTapatalk1311272061.458383.jpg
    ImageUploadedByTapatalk1311272061.458383.jpg
    44.3 KB · Views: 400
  • ImageUploadedByTapatalk1311272075.520288.jpg
    ImageUploadedByTapatalk1311272075.520288.jpg
    37.8 KB · Views: 400
It's a perfect place to party with your highschool friends. That's what I see from college movies and stuff. It's a perfect spot to do some parties and all. Well just and opinion though.

Last edited by a moderator:

Gardenforums.com is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com

Back